“Incredible surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Rome, Italy
“Incredible surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Traveling an a city like Truckee, anything you expect except a stylish restaurant.
So I'm pretty surprised to write this review for a restaurant that I found excellent, but in the middl of a small village.
They offered us some pretty interesting appetizer, including something gluten free prepared just for me.
As a main course i got sliced lamb with a ratatouille and few "secret" ingredient on a side. It was really excellent as well as the chocolate marquise i took right after.
More, they have a very good selection of wines, including some excellent bottle coming from Italy.
Waiters are extremely kind and professional and do their best to make you comfortable and explain all the beauty of the menu.
In summary, I do not know if I will ever be back in Truckee, but if I do, then I will certainly go to Trokai

2 Thank anfienga

Walnut Creek, California
“Unique ingredients”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We ate here with friends who wanted to have the chefs tasting menu. Since everybody at the table has to have the same we also had it .At $140 this is way more expensive then any other restaurant in Truckee. You do get 10 courses and and Amuse Bouche for this price. All of us had eaten at the French Laundry which is considerably more expensive but this was our bench mark. Overall we were pleased with the meal but it was bit over the top in ingredients. This is a list of all the ingredients where we had to ask the waiter what it was: Tat Soi, Ponzu, Vadouvan, Eapzote, Grains of Paradise. Other ingredients we knew such as Douglas fir was but "smoke of dying needles", bee balm, all a little unusual. Some of the things worked very well the pork belly was delicious, tenderloin of veal (if you like veal) , others less so. This is a restaurant where presentation is king. Personally three desserts was way too much for me. The corn variations was nice not great, likewise peach dessert, chocolate was tasty. Service was good, very friendly and mostly well informed. Ambience is Truckee rustic casual with exposed beams . I would like less courses and slightly bigger portions. This was a tasting menu, where the portions were sometimes so small, it was hard to taste the ingredients

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank toffeenose
Sacramento, CA
“Very Overpriced for what we got”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Ordered the Breakfast sandwich and it was appalling! Small hard biscuit with one egg on top with cheese and sausage. The biscuit was so hard you had to cut it with a knife. All in all very disappointing.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank IrishOne041
Sacramento, CA
“Awesome Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I saw on TripAdvisor that this restaurant was #1 in Truckee and thought, "why not?!"
The rating is fully deserved. Our waitress was attentive, the food was outstanding, and next time we are in the area we will definitely go back.

Visited September 2013
hong kong
“Fine (soft) cuisine, casual ambience, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stumbled onto this place by accident for dinner one evening in Truckee. Most of the patrons here are local or regulars judging from the crowd. Ambience is smart casual with a long bar which greets you on the right of the entrance and cozy tables toward the back for the sit down restaurant. The whole experience was rather unexpected; as we were served little cheese choux buns for our "bread" it dawned on me that this place is serious about the food and less pompous on the ambience. Service was extremely thoughtful and our "bread" tiffin was topped up as it was clear my husband just loved the little savoury bites before dinner. Everything was explained to us by our server as the menu is a little abstract to the uninitiated I suppose. We started with the runner bean salad and octopus, and my husband, the belly pork. Both were exceptionally well balanced in terms of flavor. But everything was well so SOFT... Don't get me wrong I love the food and appreciate all the culinary skill behind my meal but seriously, this is one place you can bring the Nan and she would have no problems with the dentures!! We had the cod and sea bass for mains. Tasty and SOFT. My husband absolutely adores the food and I love the service more. I felt comfortable eating posh nosh which doesn't always happen especially in the bigger cities like NY SF LA etc...
Definitely go and try it out. It won't be disappointing at all.

Visited August 2013