“Fine (soft) cuisine, casual ambience, great service”
Review of Trokay

Trokay
Ranked #15 of 118 Restaurants in Truckee
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stumbled onto this place by accident for dinner one evening in Truckee. Most of the patrons here are local or regulars judging from the crowd. Ambience is smart casual with a long bar which greets you on the right of the entrance and cozy tables toward the back for the sit down restaurant. The whole experience was rather unexpected; as we were served little cheese choux buns for our "bread" it dawned on me that this place is serious about the food and less pompous on the ambience. Service was extremely thoughtful and our "bread" tiffin was topped up as it was clear my husband just loved the little savoury bites before dinner. Everything was explained to us by our server as the menu is a little abstract to the uninitiated I suppose. We started with the runner bean salad and octopus, and my husband, the belly pork. Both were exceptionally well balanced in terms of flavor. But everything was well so SOFT... Don't get me wrong I love the food and appreciate all the culinary skill behind my meal but seriously, this is one place you can bring the Nan and she would have no problems with the dentures!! We had the cod and sea bass for mains. Tasty and SOFT. My husband absolutely adores the food and I love the service more. I felt comfortable eating posh nosh which doesn't always happen especially in the bigger cities like NY SF LA etc...
Definitely go and try it out. It won't be disappointing at all.

1  Thank staceleong

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Trokay is a sparkling gem among restaurants in historic downtown Truckee or anywhere on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe. My husband and I stumbled upon this establishment while looking for an interesting place to have lunch. Wow. The hamburger was made from house-ground Waygu beef ~ in fact every aspect of the meal, including the bun and pickles were made in house. The burger was accompanied by a simple but sublime salad. My husband ordered a breakfast sandwich with house made sausage and was equally impressed. We are looking forward to returning for dinner. That menu changes seasonally, but the summer offerings were nothing short of five star. There is a tasting menu, which is pricey ($140 per person) and a fixed price menu which is $80 per person, plus regular entrees. With a Dining for Education card (available for $50 at Safeway and Ace Mountain Hardware) entrees during the off season will be half price.

3  Thank Laurie W
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

This place is top notch in every way. Food is superb. Clean, fresh atmosphere, wonderful service. If I lived closer I would eat here every day. Don't miss it.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were visiting an old friend in Truckee and had a fun and delicious evening. We started with what I understand is a new/hot thing -- using a sword/knife to open a bottle of bubbly from the rear balcony of the restaurant. Each course was beautifully presented and prepared to perfection. With 4 of us at dinner, we were able to sample the full range of the restaurant's varied offerings. I would highly recommend a visit to Trokay if you are in the Truckee/North Tahoe vicinity.

1  Thank Helen M
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The location is on the main street in Truckee, across the street from the train station. The a-la-carte choices are not that many, and the portions are small. They must realized the same, so brought small fillers before and after your orders. The appetizers we ordered (tomatoes and beets) were great, but the quality of main dish is average at best (we had lamb and suckling pig). They were either too salty or too sweet. The ambience is fine with moderate level of noise, and the waitresses/waiters seemed attentive (although our request for bread was not fulfilled). For the price it charges, Trokay Cafe Restaurant faired only average in our opinion.

5  Thank xiaomatpe