“Disappointing”

Stella
Ranked #15 of 116 Restaurants in Truckee
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Excellent contemporary American cuisine. Lots of class. Superb tastes.
Park City, Utah
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Pretty restaurant, and with a very nice staff. Both my friend and I were very disappointed with our $31 dollar entree, short ribs. The dish I make at home can't touch short ribs done in a good restaurant, but they are much better than what I had tonight at Stella. I'll be in Truckee another 3 weeks and won't go back. My friend's wife did like the head cheese though. Even so, she said they seem to be "all about themselves".

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank travellingdoc025

Truckee, California
“Surprisingly disappointed”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband & I went to Stella for our anniversary dinner. We were both really excited to try it out as we'd heard & read great things. We thought perhaps we'd find our new favorite restaurant in town-- but no. First the good: nice ambiance, easy going yet great service, excellent caprese salad, breads & truffles at the end of the meal. Now the not so good: I started with the butter lettuce salad which was fine but had too much dressing & the dressing was overpowering. I had the halibut for my entree & it was grossly overcooked. I am not super fussy about food, but I was cutting through my halibut almost like I would a pork chop! It was so dry I didn't finish it. My husband had the lamb & the cilantro sauce was nice but it was blood-rare (despite being told it would be medium-rare) & so he couldn't get past that & didn't finish his meal, either.
We both left there surprisingly disappointed. We may give it one more try someday, but for now we're stumped as to why Stella is getting such great hype. Perhaps we hit them on the wrong day.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Nicole R
Truckee, California
“Terrific in Truckee”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Terrific dining experience. Fabulous food, expertly prepared and whimsically presented. Try the tasting menu with a dining partner and share 8 wonderful dishes. Enjoy a spirit before dinner and have a bottle of your favorite varietal from the well constructed wine list. We loved the amuse bouche between each course. The attentive and well informed wait staff and the rustic but hip surroundings made for a wonderful night out. Perhaps the best dining experience in the area.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank tfagerskog
Concord, California, United States
“Great restaurant in Tahoe”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have been to this restaurant many times and it continues to top my list of restaurants around Tahoe. Chef Jacob had an inspired menu and a great culinary touch. The bread is to die for and the halibut is not far behind. The staff are friendly and very caring. The wine list is great - the Penner Ash Pinot is a great wine and reasonably priced. You won't be disappointed.

1 Thank Ron M
Pacifica, California
“Great menu and service”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had the four course meal and couldn't have enjoyed it more. Great, lightning-fast service, great food -- with an amuse bouche before and "intermezzos" between each course. A lovely summer evening made better by a great meal.

Visited August 2012