“Donner Memorial State Park Camping”

Donner Memorial State Park and Emigrant Trail Museum
Ranked #1 of 48 things to do in Truckee
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum documents the fascinating and tragic history of the Donner Party's journey to the west coast.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Donner Memorial State Park Camping”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at this campground for 3 nights. It is a beautiful state park , it's just to bad the staff wasn't as nice. They are very rude and treated our family with disrespect. The restrooms were disgusting, with feces and urine all over. Granted, this is 95 percent people but, there is no hand soap, no towels or hand dryers and at times no toilet paper. My husband and I had to take our own cleaning products to clean in order for our granddaughters to be able to use it. I will think twice before I go back to this campground.

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We frequent Truckee/Donner a few times a year. This time we decided to camp instead of rent a cabin. The info on the Donner party is interesting and you can find several info boards on the Lakeshore Interpretive Trail which is about 2.5 miles round trip. The campsites were clean, hosts friendly and hot showers which was not bad at a price of 0.50 for 5 mins but at the calm of night you can hear the highway. We rented some paddle boats and paddle boards which was a great deal at $20.00 an hr.

Sacramento, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Truly heavenly!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Family and I visit this park often and enjoy it each time. While it may seem crowded in the mid-summer when driving in to find parking, there is always parking available. There is always a spot to set-up for day use under the trees and right next to the water. The water seems much warmer than Lake Tahoe, the Truckee River, or the ocean. The people encountered are always polite and pleasant. There is a watercraft rental area close by. Hiking/walking under the very tall trees, beautiful blue sky, near the emerald green lake with a balmy breeze blowing - who could ask for more. Plus, there are flush toilets not outhouses. The whole area is lovely.

Campbell, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Small quiet beaches”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Get there by 11:00am if you want a parking place (inside or outside the park). We went to one of the small beaches. It wasn't too crowded because there was limited parking. If you want a big beach and lots of ammenities then hit the other end of the lake (West End beach).

Salt Lake City, Utah
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“small museum yet informative”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Think I am giving the museum three stars because I had visited the CA Trail Interpretive Ctr, in Elko, NV, which is newer & more comprehensive in its presentations. For a small museum, I think the staff is just trying to keep up. Where the laminated reading material was difficult to read due to reflection, they also had a button so that one could hear the commentary instead. I cannot really complain about the museum, knowing what their funding is. But I really wanted somebody to clean the cobwebs off the mannequins, which is easy to do. I also wandered outdoors to visit the statue & the site where one cabin had once stood. Think we're all still engrossed with the fate of this group of emigrants- I wish I could have explored the greater park as well, but I had to go back on my own trail.

Visited June 2013