“What a wonderful winter getaway!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a medical conference held at the hotel. The rooms are wonderful. The lobby (or "living room" as they refer to it) is fabulous. The fireplace is simply ingenious! The ski in and ski out access is wonderful. Stephanie, at the concierge desk is truly delightful. She set us up with an incredible snowmobile excursion and handled our transportation to and from Reno airport as well as other reservations expertly. Thank you Stephanie!

Manzanita's food is absolutely fabulous! We went back a second night because we all wanted more pork chops!

The gondola down to the village is a bit slow (allow up to 20 minutes) however the views are spectacular, so we never minded the ride.

The skiing was nice. There were many beginner and intermediate trails for me and plenty of black diamonds for my husband. The cross country skiing was beautiful, but unfortunately, VERY difficult to get to. Northstar dropped the ball on this one. They are supposed to supply a snow cat to drive guests over there, but when we departed, no one had seen it all morning. On our walk back, we came across the driver who refused to drive us back up to the hotel because he "was on smoke break." The Ritz staff on the terrace assured us they would address that issue with Northstar staff.

The whole place shuts down rather early, so be sure to wear yourself out on the slopes during the day and hit the hay early.

The village is tad small. Olivier's and Baxter's were wonderful. I would stear clear of TC's Pub. Their food is terrible! Also, the skating rink doesn't have a zamboni, so it's a bit like skating on a pond. And, the skate shop doesn't sharpen their skates, so the combined effect is not all that much fun. But, the fire pits around the rink and the vibe in the village in general is fun. The whole place shuts down around 8 PM though.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Missmarymacc
Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed February 14, 2010

Just returned from a two night stay at the Ritz Tahoe and had a wonderful time relaxing at the spa and skiing Northstar. Let me first say that while the property is beautiful and for the most part the staff is helpful, there are some major design flaws with the hotel. Here we go...

1. The Ritz cheaped out so bad with their hotel to town center gondola that it's almost funny. I kid you not when I say it dead stops every 50 yards to let people out. Yes folks, they have managed to build the first ever non detachable gondola. Lifts in North Carolina are more state of the art then this boondoggle. Shame on you Ritz.

2. If you eat at Manzanita be prepared to take a taxi to the restroom. Yes folks, no restroom anywhere near the restaurant (The hosts up front think they are in Soho with some of the worst attitudes ever).

3. Ski rental store rivals Walt Disney. 2,000 kids and no organization at all. There should be separate areas for getting skis for the few people that are over 12 at the hotel.

Now let me get to all of the positives:

1. Manzanita has amazing food.

2. Rooms are very nice and comfortable

3. Great lobby area for drinks by the fire place

4. Ski in - Ski out cannot be beat

5. Spa is beautiful and you can spend hours just wandering from the steam room to the sauna, to the pool, etc.

p.s - Analyze your bill with a fine tooth comb. These desk agents are on a mission to confuse you. They must hire crafty accountants for front desk agents.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank toad1212
Reviewed February 12, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a stay at the new Ritz-Carlton Highlands resort in the Lake Tahoe area. I must admit that, after reading some negative Internet reviews, we were a little apprehensive about going. However, now having stayed at the resort, I can only say that the other reviewers must have had very anomalous experiences in the hotel’s first few days of operation, because we found this new hotel to be excellent in amenities, service and ambiance. Having stayed at many of the world’s finest hotels, my wife and I are pretty discerning in our tastes. With that perspective, I can state without reservations that the Ritz-Carlton Highlands is pure quality and that we will return.

1  Thank 007obie
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Our room was absolutely beautuful and well-designed. The Service was fabulous from the time we pulled in, through our check-in, stay, and departure. The food was very good but not quite exceptional. The staff members were very good and friendly ( except for a restaurant hostess who told us that our table would be ready "closer to our reservation time when we arrived 10 minutes early"--no reason to scold us for being early ). The ski valet staff inside and outside are a credit to the hotel. I sense that the issues with the hotel are as a result of how new it is although it really is operating at a high standard for the short time it has been open. Finally, the valet charge for the car was very irritating in light of the cost of the rooms--it just come off wrong for such a quality establishment.

1  Thank BigBrion
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I spent two nights at this hotel last week with my small dog and found some things were very good and others were less so. The staff fluctuates from being very attentive to being incredibly unhelpful. The bell staff is excellent while the very overpriced spa personel are less so.
The first niight I spent there a carbon monxide detector began beeping in my room at 3:00 Am. I called the front desk who sent someone up immediately to take care of it. I expected an apology from the hotel the next morning but received nothing until I called the manager myself later on in the day. He said he was sending me a bottle of wine and some cheese as a gift to make up for my lost sleep. He also promised to make an allowance on my bill which he never did!
We had dinner one night in the dining room and the food was mediocre, the service poor, and the bill, exorbitant.
I think the hotel needs a lot of time and attention to work out the issues mentioned in other reviews as it is way too expensive for what you get now.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank lucindaw
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We booked the Ritz Carlton for a special trip to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. When I read the reviews on this board, I think that either they were staying at a very busy time (and we were not) or that the Ritz has gotten their act together, because we had nothing but great service (the ski valet greeted my husband by name after the first meeting, we could hardly go ten steps in the lobby without someone asking us if we needed anything), great food (we ate at Manzanita for dinner and went back the next day for lunch because if was so good), and great skiing.

Yes, it is expensive. Yes, there are added charges (after I tipped the room service person in cash and signed the check, I realized that they had already added in a service charge and a tip.) But for a beautiful getaway, skiing as easy as it gets (seriously, you walk down and they help you on with your boots --a little weird, to be honest--and then set your skis in the snow so that all you need to do is step in), and a romantic room with a fireplace, big picture windows, and all the little extras the Ritz can't be beat.

1  Thank Lady_di2009
Reviewed February 3, 2010

The service was excellent , particularly the Mountain Concierge who, I kid you not, literally put on my children's ski boots for them. Our skis were whisked from our car upon arrival then magically waiting us when we stepped out the door to ski the next morning. It took all the hassle out of getting to the mountain and schlepping equipment. We never got into our car the whole weekend.
The food was also excellent. We stayed on the Club Level which included access to a lounge area that had delicious food awaiting us at all times of the day. Manzanita was also very, very good.
The whole staff is very kid-friendly and there is a nice, casual vibe to the place, even if it is a Ritz Carlton.
Of course the highlight has to be the outdoor heated pool, particularly if you are traveling with kids.
The downside to this hotel is that it is attached to Northstar. Northstar has a lot of improving to do to match this hotel. My principal complaint is that there are not enough lifts, making the lines horrendous. My second complaint is that there is one green run, besides the bunny area, making it a poor choice if there are any beginners in your party.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank westportal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Constellation Residences at Northstar
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!