“Big disappointment”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
San Francisco, California
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We stayed for three nights (Jan 15/16/17).
The hotel had been open about a month.
First of all the position is great. You can ski in and out.
This is all that is good.
Problems:
We booked 2 queens. like the previous reviewer, we checked in (at 4 p.m.) and were told we had a king. We had two large teenage boys with us. No roll away available. No apology. Offer of the 'feather bed' which turned out to be a padded mattress protector. After an hour of standing around waiting for the grumpy woman at the desk to do something, we gave up, pulled airbeds from the car and made do. They refused to give us extra bedding!!! For $500 night?
Our rate included breakfast. We ate downstairs both mornings. Nice breakfast, really pleasant staff. So SLOW! The boys stuffed down half their food and ran to make their boarding lesson. We were there over an hour at 7.30-8.30.
I agree completely about the coffe shop. Stuffed with families trying to eat at low tables. Slow service in restaurant, orders muddled.
Poor toiletries.
Valet everything expensive.
Housekeeping supposed to come twice daily but one day didn't come at all until I called.
Finally our bill had two spa treatments (not ours) someone else's bar bill and an extra night!
Really apalling and we won't stay there again especially as opening the hotel seems to have pushed Northstar beyond capacity: long lift lines (even with vertical plus) crowds everywhere.
We spent a week before Christmas at Bear Valley...now there was a nice experinece and 6 nights in a really comfy house with beautiful view, hot tub under the stars, lift tickets and eating out most meals? Half the price of three days at the Ritz and Northstar. And no lines and friendly helpful people.
We'll be voting with our feet and wallets.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank phidias1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
San Ramon, CA
Reviewed January 23, 2010

Our family decided to splurge this holiday season with a getaway that would keep us closer to home. We knew that the Ritz Carlton Highlands was newly opening in early December, and it would be reasonable to expect some start-up operational glitches. However, I became slightly apprehensive when my pre-arrival email inquiries went unanswered until I followed up with a phone call the day before we arrived. I wanted to get details about fitness classes at the gym, Ritz Kids program offerings and spa appointments, but apparently there was no information available that anyone could give me. At check-in, I asked the front desk attendant for the the same information; she assured me that she would call my room immediately after I settled in with the information that I requested. She never called, and it took over an hour for our luggage to be brought up to our room (and the hotel was not even crowded on the night of our arrival). However, Kate from the Ritz Kids program did do a remarkable job of finding activities for my daughter (who could not ski due to a recent cheerleading injury). And the spa, although pricey, did offer special pricing during certain hours. Monique gave my daughter and me peppermint pedicures that were among the best we've ever had.

We had booked a family getaway package that included a breakfast dining credit, valet parking, resort and other fees along with the room rate. Manzanita needs to work out some inconsistencies in its menu pricing, especially their lack of a children's menu at breakfast. Otherwise, we enjoyed the quality of the food, and the breakfast dining manager was very friendly and accommodating. We were surprised to find out at check-out that the dining credit included with our package was actually more than what had been told to us by the front desk at check-in, meaning that we had left some dining credits unused during our stay. Oh well.

The overall hotel premises and location are unbeatable, and almost worth the premium that you pay to stay at a Ritz Carlton. However, among other minor glitches, at check-out, we discovered that the hotel invoice charged us for resort fees that were supposed to already be included with our package. Of course, these fees were removed as soon as I asked about them, but I did have to figure out that I was being overcharged (the invoice was confusing). So, do double check what you are expecting against what you actually get when booking a package there.

Would we stay again? Our kids, who actually really enjoy our occasional family splurges at fancy hotels like the Ritz Carlton, were a bit ambivalent. They would be just as happy staying in Northstar Village next time.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank d2c2
socal
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Usually I love the Ritz but this one is still working out the kinks. We stayed during Christmas week and it was beautiful - ski-in/ski-out. But the service was not up to usual Ritz standards. We requested a rollaway bed when we reserved the room, but it wasnt delivered until we asked again at 5pm. The room was not cleaned when we returned from skiing at 4pm. And the little cafe is great location for lunch away from the ski cafeteria, but they were slow and unorganized. we requested medium-well burgers and got meat that was cooked rare. The ski valet is nice, but no where near the service you get at Stein Eriksen Lodge...On the plus side, they did allow us to check in early and check out a couple hours late. The bar and seats around the big fireplace was always at capacity apres-ski. But the fitness center is outstanding- clean and well-equipped. Parking fee is high, but the valet service was excellent. I'm sure they will be much better in a few months.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed January 19, 2010

We booked a 3 night stay over MLK holiday weekend. I think the hotel has been open just under 1 month. This may have been the 1st time it was fully booked.
Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by the valet guys and one especially nice lady that walked us up the stairs to the Front Desk. I didn't catch her name but she is the only blonde female that hangs out in the freezing cold with the valet guys.
The front desk lady, I think her name is Debra or Debi, was not as warm or caring as the usual Ritz employees. She seemed indifferent that we were getting a King bed instead of 2 Qns as requested. I am traveling with my husband and 2 sons (6 & 2 yo). I asked for a roll-away bed and she said they have all been assigned. She offered a feather-bed cover that was to be set up on the floor in our room. That was the best she could offer. She said we may get a roll-away bed the next day.
When we got to our room, the feather bed was not set-up as promised. We had to call housekeeping. This 'featherbed' is the same cover they put over the mattress. There is no cushioning or padding to make it softer when sleeping on the floor.
I think it is RIDICULOUS to ask guests who are paying over $550/ngt to sleep on the floor. If you can't put us in a double bed room as requested, then have ENOUGH roll away beds to make up for it. *Tip for the hotel: You need to re-configure more rooms to double Qns and less King bed rooms. I noticed a lot of families were staying at the hotel. You would rather have more beds than be short and asks guests to sleep on the floor!
Ironically, in our room there was a Travel Magazine with a Q&A section. A guy wrote in asking what he can do about his situation with Hotwire. He had booked a room with Hotwire stating he needed a room for 3 adults. Hotwire had agreed to book him a room that would sleep 4 adults. At check-in, the hotel only gave him a room with a King bed. No roll-away was available. One person had to sleep on the floor. The magazine contacted Hotwire and Hotwire realized they had goofed and offered him $300. I found the story very similar to my situation, except I booked directly with Ritz and no one at Ritz was offering me anything for my inconvenience.
We had in-room dining several times during our stay. The first time was for breakfast and that was goofed. I called at around midnite to let them know I had a breakfast order and I had filled out the card and it was hanging on my door. I didn't want to read the order over the phone as my kids and hubby were asleep (on the floor!). The lady said she will send someone to get it. Well, the next morning at 8am, I am wondering if our breakfast was going to arrive. I check outside our door and my order card is still dangling from the handle! I phone in-room dining and the guy apologizes (it wasn't his fault) and offer to rush it and comp it.
The next breakfast order, they completely forgot half the order. Again, I phoned in, and it was rushed and comp. I guess these are the growing pains!
We ate at Manzanita for dinner. Excellent service and I like the Food&Bev manager coming around and asking how everything is going. He asked about our stay and I mentioned how my hubby and son are sleeping on the floor. He was surprised and said it was 'duely noted'. Not sure if he could do anything, but he did bring out a complimentary dessert. Nice touch.
On the 2nd night, I encountered Deborah, or Debi. Same unfriendly lady at Front Desk. I asked her if a roll away bed has become available, and she said nope. Then I requested a DVD player be sent to our room. She said it will be done. Well, that never happened. We waited and waited. Then decided it wasn't worth following up on.
Overall, we never got a rollaway, and my hubby and son slept on the floor for 3 nights. We had to make the floor-bed at night and put it away in the morning. How fun. All the while we were paying $550+/night. I feel that a hotel who charges that much a night should value their customers and send an employee to get a mattress or cushion. I know the Four Seasons would do that!
BTW, the toiletries at Ritz are crap. The lotion was so thin and the smell was not that pleasant. The Ritz should follow Four Season and partner up with L'Occitane. Bring some NICE lotions and soaps into the rooms.
Some positives about the hotel:
-great location. Mid mountain with free gondola rides to the village.
-nice gym. everything is new and clean. they offer 1-2 classes a day.
-most of the employees are great! again, the blonde lady at the valet station remembered our names on the 2nd day!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank sunramon
The West
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Vacations are meant for indulgence. The ambience and rooms at The Highland Ritz Carlton are perfect. The dining experience needs a major upheavel. The only casual eatery (other than a take out type market) is in the lobby.. There you find every coffee table burdened down with families trying to eat a meal hovering over low tables not intended for a real meal. In the dining room 1/2 glasses of wine are offered which seemed perfect for the middle of a ski day. Unfortunately they deliver a full glasss and charge you accordingly. An albacore salad is nothing more than a slice of sashimi on a meager piece of lettuce. The dessert we ordered was not delivered. After all of the "goofs" we felt exhauated. It was as if we'd spent the day at work explaining what we ordered and what we actually received. Not an experience I'm likely to repeat or recommend,

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed January 14, 2010

We stayed over Xmas and have mostly positive things to stay. The building itself is gorgeous, the location is perfect if you love skiing like we do (would love to visit in the summer too), the room was very nice and the staff was top notch. We ran into a few glitches but the manager listened to our concerns and seemed truly pleased to get feedback and deal with our recommendations.
Our room was nicely furnished with comfy beds and chairs, enough closet space for 3 and a gas fireplace which was nice, though the bathroom had limited counter space for toiletries. The lobby was beautiful and it was nice having drinks in the evening. It would have been nice if they had doors leading out to the patio to maximize the view while you're sitting (maybe it was a structural thing). The spa was great. The pool was a little out of the way and seemed unused.

A few things to note: The ski valet stood around as i skiied in, removed my skis and placed them on the rack without asking my name or room. I didn't need the guy to carry my skis in but he was totally oblivious and unhelpful - other than this guy, every staff member thoughout the hotel was totally professional and tried hard to please.The only restaurant choice, Manzanita, was good though not spectacular with a limited and fussy menu and somewhat pricey (there is a small store that sells Peet's coffee and snacks during the day, a perfect choice for breakfast). On two consecutive nights we had an hour wait between appetizers and entrees - not happy about that on the first night but when it happened on the second night we knew the kitchen is obviously working out some issues. We didn't realize they had a kids menu, and even though our daughter is 14 they should have offered it up as our waiter saw she was struggling to find a dish to order as there are no kid-friendly items-- we would have gladly paid a premium if necessary just to get her a pasta, burger or similar. BTW, there are great restaurants and shops in the charming town, just a 10 minute gondola ride down the hill. One night we missed turndown as we were still showering so we called and requested it when we went to dinner. When we returned 2 hours later still no turndown, so we called and asked if they could just send fresh towels. 40 minutes later and no towels so we called a 3rd time to cancel as we were going to sleep. Not the biggest deal in the world but we chalked this one up to being a new hotel as clearly this should't happen at a Ritz. One last thing: Make sure you check your ski bag on departure - the ski valets forgot to pack our poles; so glad my husband looked in the bag before we took off!

All in all, these inconveniences were outweighed by all the pluses and didn't detract from an overall lovely stay and we hope to go back again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2009

The hotel is still working out the kinks. I had a great time during my 5 day stay but it was obvious that the hotel was still not running smoothly. Give it time and the hotel will be great.

• Stayed December 2009
1 Thank TMDoherty92
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!