“Great Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Had a great time at this hotel with a lovely well equipped room.

We used Marriott points and still had an upgrade. The staff were all friendly and the weather was perfect.

The location was lovely being part of the North Star Ski resort. Although we did not use them the Gym and Spa facilities looked great also

1 Thank DT64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Beautiful lodge-type hotel. We stayed using Marriott points so our room had no view but we had a large, nicely furnished room with a gas fireplace that was well laid out with lots of closet and drawer space. The bath was huge with separate shower and large soaking tub. In the bath were stacks of quality towels, nice toiletries and plush robes.

High quality food and high prices in all of the dining venues. Room service was the same and really enjoyable - especially in front of the fireplace.

The exercise room was really nice and well maintained with all of the latest in exercise equipment. Loved it!

Typical Ritz staff - Very friendly and extremely helpful - they just could not do enough to make sure we were enjoying ouselves. They were always trying to anticipate our every need. They really pampered us.

Great place to get away from it all and relax.

Room Tip: We had room 429 which had no view. maybe discuss with reservations when booking to make sure your v...
2 Thank Smarkow314
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 1, 2014

A great hotel, in a great location! Close to the Silicon Valley, with a airport close by.... Excellent if you have kids - playground, kids pool... Excellent if you have a dog as well! Excellent in winter or in summer. We went in May right before the summer season starts on June 6. We stayed over the long weekend, and had a great time.

1 Thank pbt_7
Southeast
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed for 4 nights. So here’s the good stuff. The food at Manzanita was delicious and the wait staff was really nice and very professional. The room was nice, bed comfy, view OK. Gym clean and well equipped. OK so the not so good… you had your choice of a cafe for breakfast or lunch and just one restaurant, Manzanita for dinner. There were two other restaurants on the premises but neither of them was open (at least for dinner) so you were kind of stuck eating really expensive food for dinner. While the Ritz Carlton isn’t for the budget minded everybody likes a little break from spending $100+ a night on dinner for one. Other stuff… No mini-bar in the room, staff spotty, some super nice some not so. But ya know, here's what really rankled me. I scheduled a facial. They made it clear that they needed 24 hours notice of cancellation. Ok, I'm not a rude person; I'll live by the rules. However, that morning I asked if I could move my 1pm appointment to earlier and I was told it would cost me $50 to do so. Why???? I wasn’t cancelling, just moving the appointment to earlier. Perhaps the real reason was that the staff wasn’t available? So say so. I guess a courteous response has been replaced with just ripping people off. That one thing, plus some staff that seemed to be full of themselves or just out of it pretty much tainted my stay. Sorry folks. No reason to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a view of the mountains, not the slope.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Ritz-Carlton_DOSM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Good day,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at our resort and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your guest room, the fitness center and your dining experience in Manzanita. We strive to provide every guest exceptional service, facilities and amenities.

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the experiences at the resort that did not meet your expectations including the number of dining options, honor bar selection and spa reservation policy.

Your comments are extremely valuable to us so we may focus on areas of improvement. If you would like to discuss your visit or your concerns in more detail, please contact me at the resort by calling 530-562-3000.

Joseph Mattioli, General Manager
Corona del Mar, CA
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I have to admit to becoming a wimp skier as I get older. I like comfort, convenience and pampering and the Ritz Carlton hits on all three nicely. I took a small group from my San Francisco office up to the resort as a reward for their great work on a project. Not all were skiers or snowboarders, but everyone, even the non-skiers, loved the Ritz and never got bored.

The hotel itself is marvelous. The lobby is elegant and comfortable without being ostentatious, as behooves a ski resort hotel. The massive fireplace is a great focal point and I enjoyed reading my morning paper and getting on TA in the mornings with the lobby WiFi,

The rooms are very good sized, have gas fireplaces and very nice bathrooms with oversized tubs for soaking, which is welcome after a day on the slopes.

Great touches abound throughout the hotel, like the ski valet who takes care of your boots and skis (snowboard) when you come off the slope and the nightly adventure in 'Smores by the firepit, nothing like feeling you are 12 again and back at camp. I also loved the pool being open. There is just something decadent about swimming with snow and ice around.

The staff was terrific as you would expect them to be. They were uniformly helpful, efficient and more importantly, warm. The concierge was great in arranging transportation for us to one of my favorite Tahoe restaurants, The Pfeifer House, so we could drink and enjoy ourselves and not worry about wine consumption. Other than that we ate onsite or in the Village and I'll get around to reviewing them as well, but suffice to say the restaurants were a great experience as well.

Overall the trip was great and served its purpose of making my co-workers feel truly appreciated.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank scottca075
SF Bay Area, California
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I remembered seeing this hotel the last time we visited Northstar and thought, wow, this direct access to the lifts and the perfect location right on the slopes really can't be beat. So, when it was time again to find the right accommodations for our Tahoe trip, Ritz-Carlton was the first place I looked into! And it did not disappoint one bit. It was December, the hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays, and the entire lodge level was decked with fresh pines and festive decor. We wanted to stay somewhere that allowed dogs but didn't compromise on the quality and cleanliness of the rooms just because dogs were welcomed-- I usually hate that about dog-friendly hotels, you smell it as soon as you walk in. Well, not the Ritz, thankfully, and your dog will absolutely be pampered well and greeted everywhere he walks!

We (my husband and I, my 5 year old and our pug) received an immediate room upgrade upon arrival and were given a verbal summary of all the kids activities. My son enjoyed the bear hunt, Santa pictures/chat (with no lines, in front of a gorgeous tree and fireplace), gingerbread house building, and of course, the famous marshmallow roasting evenings!! The ambience outside during the marshmallow hour was purely wonderful-- parents sipped on wine, dogs relaxed by the fireplaces, children enjoyed the smores, as we all watched the sunset.

Now, the location! One beautifully scenic onsite lift ride takes you to the Northstar Village where shops, restaurants and ice skating await. Slopes are just a few steps away from the hotel and everything is taken care of for you! For me personally, the convenience justifies the premium you pay for this hotel.

The spa was great. I enjoyed my massage immensely and thought the amenities were sufficient. The resort restaurants were fine, service was wonderful, food was decent, but the view and setting stood out!

I just booked a 3 night stay again-- I will absolutely be a repeat patron here! It's a great family hotel!

Room Tip: Slope/mountain view is gorgeous-- worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sklo2004
Boston
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We spent three days with my daughter during spring break and enjoyed the luxury and comfort of this property. The service is impeccable,wether for skis or at their restaurant. The loby is welcoming, and the musical duo saturday night was very talented and kept us singing along past midnight. While my daughters were sking i was exploring Tahoe thanks to the expert recommendations of the hotel concierge. A car is required but the scenery is breathtaking. After a day outdoor the hotel spa is an oasis of serenity . Nice plus , Smores time, around the open fire , delicious flavored marshmallows that guests can roast and eat ! The rooms are spacious, well apointed but the beds too soft for my taste . An expensive getaway but totally worth it.Everyone goes the extra mile to make your stay really unforgettable

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!