The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Best Western Plus Truckee-Tahoe Hotel(Truckee)(Great Value!)
$192
Truckee Donner Lodge(Truckee)(Great Value!)
$209
$231
$214
Hampton.com
$185
Travelocity
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts(Truckee)(Great Value!)
$309
  • Pool
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $401/night.

Redlight(Truckee)(Great Value!)
$117
  • Bar/Lounge
$1,289
$1,160
Official Hotel
Resort at Squaw Creek(Olympic Valley)(Great Value!)
$249
The Village At Squaw Valley(Olympic Valley)(Great Value!)
$319
$197
Orbitz.com
TripAdvisor
1,085 results
All reviewsclub levelthe ritzmanzanita restaurantlake tahoemountain conciergeresort feeliving roomnorthstar villagefire pitski valetvalet serviceturn down servicebell staffbeautiful propertymid mountainmountain viewlobby bar
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Although it rained the whole stay, we loved the Hotel. Mike the valet, Matt at Reception, Greg at the lobby bar, Stephanie in Manzanita, and Jennifer in the Spa, all such great hosts. Greg's muddled fresh Blueberry martini is superb. Loved our in room fireplace, too. Most comfortable bed ever.

Room Tip: Apparently the number of nice view rooms are more limited than one would expect. At this resort, getting out of your room to enjoy the mountains, restaurants and spa should be your priority anyway. Snuggling by the fireplace in a cozy room with no view is still so relaxing.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank westlakeh
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Let's get this out of the way at the top of this review: there is not a finer lodging establishment anywhere in Lake Tahoe than the Ritz Carlton at Northstar. The hotel sits at the peak of a mountain road completely separate from the Northstar Village. You're actually about 1k feet in elevation above the village. When I arrived early in the morning I was greeted by multiple staff members looking to park my vehicle, tend to my bags and get me on to the snow asap. My snowboard was waiting for me on the run outside the hotel. The hotel called my cell phone when my room was ready. Can't ask for a better check-in experience than that.

The room is spacious and feels like a modern mountain lodge. The fireplace puts out plenty of warmth if you want to dry out your gear. The TV was a problem. Several channels didn't work. I asked the bellman for help and an engineer promptly arrived to fix it. Next day, same issue, but I didn't call for help. The bathroom is very nice, though the shower head was a disappointment. There just wasn't enough pressure in the shower for a good shower experience. The bed was luxurious and made getting out of bed a challenging negotiation with myself.

The pool deck is convenient, nothing really special. The jacuzzi at night could have been a touch warmer. The fitness center looked to be quite well done, but I did not partake. The Mountain Concierge is a great setup and they will take great care of you and your gear. Every part of the snow sports operation appears to be well thought out and executed flawlessly. Who doesn't love leaving their snowboard with a guy in a suit and snow boots?

My big complaint, if I have any, is that the gondola from the hotel to the village was not operating. This meant a 15 minute ride in the hotels Escalade. Not nearly as efficient as the gondola service that I had expected, especially when you spend 15-20 minutes waiting in the cold for the hotel car. Worse when there are more people waiting than can be accommodated in the Escalade. Going down to the village for drinks, dinner, skating would be much more enjoyable with the gondola running. That staff was very apologetic about the situation and the bartender made me a delicious Hot Apple Pie cocktail to warm me back up.

The bars and food are well done. If you're thinking of spending the cash for the Epic Burger down at the mid mountain lodge, skip it and spend the same dollars for the burger at the Ritz Carlton. It's very well done, a nice char flavor on the meat. Also try the truffle parmesan fries, they were amazing. The bar does a great job. You can expect cocktails made from scratch that are very well done. The service in all of the food establishments as excellent.

So that's the Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe experience; exceptional in many ways and just a few letdowns, but there is no comparison in the Lake Tahoe area.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a view of the slopes, take advantage of the painting like views in the east facing rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We just came back form Tahoe staying at ritz Carlton residence club. We stay at the 3 bedrooms apartment. We love everything about it from the check in to check out. We went there to ski and the ski valet is wonderful and convenient. Everyone at the residence club was very friendly and professional. We would love to go back again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank peiwei
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Great views - incredible service - super friendly staff. The rooms are incredibly comfortable and you have all the special touches of turned down beds and chocolates in the evening while you enjoy the fire in your own fireplace. VERY NICE!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hrman835
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked my most recent stay, for five nights, at this property using Ritz points. First the property had Mountain View rooms available on points online, then they vanished from being able to be booked via points (over a 5 minute period). I called the hotel directly and was informed that there were plenty of these rooms available but they weren't bookable via points any longer and nobody knew why. Not to worry, I was told, due to low occupancy, there will be plenty of rooms available and we'll "put you first in line for a complimentary upgrade"; I've got Gold Elite status and stay 50 nights a year at Ritz and Marriott properties. Ok, that sounds great! Well, I emailed our concierge just to confirm before our arrival. Well, they can't confirm before the arrival but there will be these rooms available for a "paid upgrade"... Ok, fine. Paid is fine but I want to make sure we get a view. We arrive at the hotel early... There are none of these mountain view rooms available at all. The room we got is a Deluxe Room with a view of the road and delivery trucks. Very disappointing. I'd not recommend a Deluxe Room at all, to anyone. Road noise, truck noise, snow blowing equipment, road clearing equipment early morning, and not a great view. Also, the balcony is non-existent. It's about 18" deep; like standing on a ledge off of your room. You may choose to jump after being woken up by snow clearing gear.

The service staff at this property are phenomenal! I have nothing but great things to say about the door staff, the wait staff, and Manzanita has amazing food and exceptional service. I'll do that review separately because I don't want to tarnish Manzanita by being apart of this property. That restaurant could stand alone almost anywhere in the World and be a great restaurant.

The next disappointment is the Gondola. Apparently the Gondola's have been closed most of the year. It doesn't stop this Ritz from listing it as a feature on the web site. I'd have never stayed here knowing that the only way to get to NorthStar was via a 15 minute car ride. Without Northstar, there is only really one restaurant on property (not counting the lounge) and no matter how great a restaurant, you probably don't want to eat there for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner everyday. These guys would rather have their door staff and bell staff driving people all day up and down the hill to get to Northstar rather than just pay to open the Gondola? That has to cost more in gas and lost service at front of house! I asked around and apparently it's a financial issue (more like bad management). This property is failing financially (bank owned) and they can't afford to work a deal with NorthStar to open the Gondola. One of the house cars picked us up from The Northstar Village and they were dropping off 8 people! 8 people! In an Escalade! It was like a clown car more than a town car. What a waste. This shows in other areas as well. There are the little touches that are missing here that are standard at other great Ritz Carlton properties like Half Moon Bay, Laguna Niguel, Central Park, etc. This property feels a lot more like a Marriott with a great restaurant.

My vote wouldn't be to stay here again because of the lack of the Gondola working and also because the reservation process was lousy and mismanaged and the Deluxe room is far from Deluxe. Also, my wife booked a Spa appointment today for an 80 minute massage. We were told that the Spa was offering discounts "up to 50%" booked Sun-Wed. Well, it turns out that the only time slot that was available was from 11-2pm and in that window, the discount is not offered but they did extend a 10% discount. Smells bad and feels gamey. It doesn't say "discounts except from 11-2". You get the feeling that if her appointment was at 3, it would have been, "discounts except from 12-3".

Overall, my recommendation is to stay somewhere else nearby. The Hyatt at Incline Village is a great property close-by to everything and equal in quality and nicer in some ways.

Room Tip: Mountain View Room or Mountain View Suite. Don't book any other room type. Make sure the Gondola's will be open on your trip or stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple