“Majestic Hotel Nestled in the Mountains”

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Roseville, California
“Majestic Hotel Nestled in the Mountains”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

When driving up to the hotel we were amazed at how beautiful it was. Customer service here is second to none, from the front desk to the bell service, everybody is amazing! The room was great, nothing to complain about and they upgraded us for free (without having to ask). If you want a ride down to the Northstar Village, just ask, and they will have a driver take you down and pick you up. We were there on a week day in the summer so it was pretty quiet; they did however offer a Smores class at 5:00 at the outdoor fire pit which was really fun! There is lots of hiking and walking - we took a hike up the mountain bike trails and came back down the ski slopes. I would highly recommend staying here; it's beautiful, quiet, and just a great overall experience. We can't wait to come back in the winter to ski!

Room Tip: Get a room with a veiw, it's well worth it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mnerius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
London
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed here for four nights over the summer when travelling with my wife and children. We stayed on the club floor which was fantastic. The staff in the club lounge were very helpful (particularly Billy) and the food and drink were great. Breakfast was much better than most club lounges with hot scrambled eggs and bacon every day, normally with one other hot choice. The food in the evening was also good as were the complementary drinks. The restaurant (Manzanita) was very good too. Really nice spacious dining room with an open kitchen and excellent service from a knowledgable waiter.

The rooms were great - very large with decent views and comfortable beds. Large bathrooms and loads of wardrobe space.

As for location, the hotel is a drive from Tahoe but close enough that it wasn't a problem. It's also near Truckee which has a number of restaurants. The nearby Northstar Village, however, was very quiet (presumably it's more lively in the winter) and rather soulless.

The only quibbles I had were, first, the main swimming pool is very shallow which is not great for swimming (there is another pool by the spa which may be better) and the staff at the front desk, while very polite, were a bit inefficient - but these are minor quibbles which did not detract from a fabulous stay. I would definitely return if I was in Tahoe again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

The Ritz Carlton is always a joy to visit. This one in particular has a spectacular setting as it is nestled high up in the north Lake Tahoe. It literally looks like a castle hidden in the amongst the tall trees as you drive up the curvy road. It has some amazing amenities and even though I was there for the last part of the summer( for four nights), it is a ski in ski out resort. I can only imagine riding the Gondola to enjoy a day of fresh powder! Anyway, the team of people I bumped into created a memorable stay for me. Sofia, at the spa was so gracious to welcome me to this beautiful facility. Megan gave me facial that left me with a nice glow before cocktail hour. It has everything available, the steam room, sauna, whirlpool, lap pool, showers, quiet areas, bathing suit dryer, all the goodies you need to get ready straight from there to head out to your next "to do" on your agenda. The Manzanita restaurant is to die for and I wish I could have remembered to photograph the menu! Yum! They have way a way knowing what's on your mind before you do! Example? I ordered a drink from the bar, it was yummy yet I guess I was just "nursing it" a bit, before I knew it the bartender, Ben asked if I would like to try something else. It's the subtle things people do for you to make the stay more pleasant. The trail walks are a must as the grounds are phenomenal to enjoy. The gym has all you need to get a solid workout and many classes are provided as well. Drink lots of water as the elevation change really kicks in on the treadmill or an outdoor run or swim. Worth it! The rooms are flawless, warm, and relaxing! They were helpful to get to me to my dinner cruise on time and they make sure they talk to about the temperature outside so you are prepared. You can spend a whole day at the harbor, just gorgeous. They knew where to eat offsite too! The Cottonwood was tasty tasty! Well, I just appreciate their suggestions and it was a wonderful time for me. The fireplace outside was my favorite way to end the night, a glass of cab and the fireplace, need I say more? There is a great nightclub that I heard about but did not have the the time to get to visit, ugh!!! So my suggestion, clear your schedule and take about a week to relax!

• Stayed September 2012
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Came for a weekend get away... August 24-27. Was blown away by the scenery and majestic hills. However... Not blown away by the supposed 5 star service. Ritz Carlton is very corporate... Every thing is measured and done well but not extraordinary. For example... No water bottles in the gym. Why is that? For this type of hotel... Can't I have a water bottle to drink on the treadmill? The cups they provide don't stay in the holders on the treadmill and r very inconvenient. Breakfast was disappointing... Sunday buffet was talked up a great deal but when we go there it was very sparse.... I ended up ordering a la carte and the server automatically substituted the potatoes that came with my omelette with fruit and wheat toast. I was thinking that she was on the ball and ahead of the game... Until... Another server ended up delivering my meal and with two orders. There was no toast and had to ask five minutes later if I could have some with no acknowledgement that it was missing on the When the bill came i was surprised to see an up charge for 3.00 for the fruit. Again, the money was not a big deal but the charge was totally unnecessary. She made the decision to substitute the fruit so why did I get charged with no explanation? Very chintz.y... we have reservations for manzanita restaurant this evening but have decided that will not be worth the money given the breakfast experience we just had. Finally... We wanted to do some bike riding and asked to rent bikes. I'm thinking the charge will be around 20/hr or something like that. The bikes were 118 dollars per person we we opted out of the whole deal. Oh... And that doesn't include the 46 dollars for the gondola rode. Ritz Carlton... If u r going to be a luxury hotel, act like one. Greet your guests warmly Get the breakfast orders right, don't nickle and dime for everything, and most important be charming to your guests.

4 Thank MelissaBZ
California
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here last month using points for one night to check it out as we live locally. Very nice resort, very clean and spacious room. As we stayed in summer, most of the acvities involve the spa, hiking, and for the adventurous, the downhill mountain bike at Northstar (one note, this is really at Northstar and not on Lake Tahoe, which is one ridge over). You can rent nice downhill bikes and all the protective gear at the Northstar village, which is connected to the Ritz via its own gondola. Great fun, a few bruises, but well worth it.

Restaurant was good, but not great. We also spend a lot of time in the City, and while the restaurant tries to be of City quality, it falls a little short for the City prices it charges.

Would not stay again as we already live here, but would recommend to those who like luxury and are willing to pay for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CAMurphthesurf
Pacifica, California
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Can't say enough good things about this place. Sure, it was expensive, but (in this case) we got what we paid for.

One of the advantages to visiting when we did -- mid-August -- was that the hotel seemed virtually empty, so it felt like we had the run of the place. There were no crowds and we were able to go pretty much wherever we pleased whenever we pleased. The staff was unfailingly helpful and friendly, from the valet parkers to reception to the wait staff and spa personnel. Everyone really seemed to enjoy their jobs until it became infectious. You couldn't help but have a good time. The room was quiet, clean, and comfortable, with a great view of the mountains and pool.

Bonus features: The club level club, with complimentary snacks and drinks throughout the day and evening. The spa, with a fabulous massage and a 17-head shower (which is the greatest invention in the history of mankind, in my opinion).

We're already making plans to go back this winter. It was just the hotel experience that you dream of.

1 Thank dsikula
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed in Homewood, however, we drove over to the Ritz for a spa appointment. The view from the Ritz was breathtaking. We enjoyed the spa area, even though our pedicures were good, it probably could have been better. Other than that the service was pretty fair. We ate lunch around the adult pool and we had to wait awhile to get out food, running close to being late for our appointments. But the food was pretty good.

1 Thank Landan H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!