“Location great, breakfast fair, lodging needs improvement” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boreal Mountain Resort

Boreal Mountain Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Truckee
Boreal Mountain Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Truckee
Redwood City, California
“Location great, breakfast fair, lodging needs improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

The location is great if you want to take your kids to Soda Springs (a mile away) or Boreal (down the street) for tubing or beginner skiing. The complimentary breakfast was a hit with my kids with offerings of cereal, yogurt, fruit, and bagels with cream cheese. But the hotel room was a disappointment considering we paid for a superior room. The carpet looked new and the queen sized bed had a fluffy white comforter, but the mattress offered hardly any support. My kids slept on a bunk bed which had mattresses covered in some kind of plastic instead of cotton/polyester sheets. But as I said earlier, the location is convenient. So if you have the type of kids like mine who don't want to sit in the car longer than necessary to get to a nicer hotel, you might want to consider this place and put up with the mediocre accommodations.

Room Tip: Book room on ground floor if you can't carry luggage up stairs (no elevator).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Leandro, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

The pictures are a little deceiving. The premium rooms were not available so we settled for a standard room. There are no elevators so we carried our luggage three flights of stairs, a little tough if you are not used to the high elevations. The rooms were large but very dated, walls were thin, large space under the door, bath room fan made a screeching sound, water control in shower was VERY sensitive. We could hear our neighbors down the hall and hear the thunk sound of the suitcases going down the stairs (we were at the end of the hallway). There was someone's hair hanging from the lamp shade, bobby pin on the floor and the carpet could have been vacuumed better.

Nice thing was that it was close to the slopes.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank morimo

Travelers are raving about these Truckee hotels

Sunnyvale CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

By virtue of being the ONLY place within easy access of Boreal - the first to open for the season, and a haven for beginners (esp families with kids) - it can get away with charging $120 even on weeknights for rooms below a Motel 6 level. But for its proximity to skiing I'd have given a one, but then again we might never have gone here in the first place if it were not that close.

Location - described enough already. Oh, there is nothing else in the vicinity, so bring WATER for sure, and food/snacks.

Room - Most others have written this. We got the cheaper room (non-upgraded) on first floor. Room is really large. You can tell its an old place. Doubt newer buildings will have such large rooms. Blanket was torn, sheet was stained, carpet reallly old, TV super old, microwave was right by one of the headboards, and *really* high power, bathroom tired but functional, amenities (interestingly enough) organic-earth-friendly-blah-blah-blah stuff, lots of towels. Luckily we had phone signal, but heard only rooms closer to front/parking lot do. The heater swung to extremes, not sure if its us not being used to old-fashioned dials with numbers everywhere... Din't want to drink from this tap. So bring water.

Check-in: Understandably they don't operate front desk like a regular hotel, which is fine. Parking, picking up key etc was straight forward. (I asked what we must do if we needed something or something were not working, I was told to call a number and leave a message and somebody might check it...hmm..) Since no one is around to ask... bring water.

Office and Breakfast: We were told there is free wifi included, but since no one was around when we arrived, we did not know how to connect, and in the morning of course we had no time for such frivolities like "work." Front desk staff and breakfast gets there really late (8-ish), so if you're an early riser, bring something to eat! Also, if you're hitting the slopes, get all dressed and grab something to go (you must, since they have cereal, coffee, mini bagels and weird-smelling poppy muffinettes at the lobby and you really can't "dine" here) since the lines start pretty early. Ph, they don't have water at breakfast, did I tell you to bring water??

Service - Huh?

We requested late checkout (and were even considering extending our stay IF kids had fun, and they gave us the late checkout option given the place was almost deserted) but the nice blonde lady politely (!) informed us they simply don't entertain such practices (!) and everyone would then be asking for early check-ins and late check-outs, so we had to drop keys and leave since obviously we cannot come back to check out at 11 AM.

Bottomline: Set your ROI expectations (about price, room, comforts, and checking out first thing in the morning), expect to have excellent beginner skiing (their ski school staff are really good btw, and we *have* been to quite a few), come prepared with breakfast/snack etc, and you'll be fine. And... yup, bring water!!

Room Tip: Bring WATER, food/snacks, activities for kids if you check in way before bed time. Plan to get in yo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank sunnyvale_dude
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

We come here every year. It's perfect for what it is. We drive up on Friday night and its the first resort on the 80. Its old but clean. There is a basic breakfast of cereal, muffins, bagels, coffee, juice in the morning included. When we have gone it was always pretty quiet. We snowboard at Boreal for the day. We go back to lodge clean up and go to dinner in Truckee. We love it. Its perfect for a weekend trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Roosmie
El Dorado Hills, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

It was great that this inn is as close as it is to the ski resort. The young guy at the reception on the night we checked in was very pleasant and helpful. The room was big enough although it still looked outdated despite the recent renovation they advertise about. I will not stay here again nor would I recommend this place to my friends.I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN NOR WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS &PLACE TO MY FRIENDS, THOUGH, ESP MY NONCAUCASIAN FRIENDS.  On the morning of check out, I tried to get some milk for my coffee from what's left of their continental breakfast spread. I was told by the lady at the desk that breakfast was over and that milk was not available anymore (despite the fact that I was already ready to pour it into my cup). She literally came up to my face to say this. I was so dumbfounded by this rudeness. As I was waiting for my friend by the door, A group of Caucasian guests did the same thing I did but they were treated differently. The lady even helped them.the whole scenario was bizarre to me.  Now I'm not naive to think that all of society have grown to be decent human beings these days, that's a tall order. Discrimination hurts so deeply no excuse of norms or reminder of reality could soften the blow. But our society should qbe better than this.  We are not the backwards bigots that some of our ancestors were. Boreal management should look into re-educating some of their staff.

• Stayed January 2011
28 Thank Janis10
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

Boreal Inn is just 5 min walking distance to the ski area and it's so conviniente to stay there after long day on the slopes. The place is little outdated but rooms are big and warm. Staff is nice and frendly. Continental breakfast is decent. we are planing on going soon, just waiting for snow. Our kids had great time just playing on the snow last time we stayed there. Let it snow...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mayfl0wer
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2008

This is a two star hotel folks. For starters, consider the clientele. People who stay at the Boreal Inn are snowboarders and skiers. Mostly 20 somethings who want to ride and then party, and 30 somethings who bring their kids for a ski/snowboard experience. It's almost always snowy and muddy so YES, the floors are gonna be dirty as everyone tromps in and out of their rooms with snowboard boots or after ski boots on.

This was my second stay here and I'll probably stay again. Here's what was important to me. The Boreal Inn was the closest AND most affordable lodging to ANY ski lifts in the area. I like being right by the mountain and don't want to drive 5 to 10 miles from Truckee (depending on which resort you decide to ride) when it's time to hit the slopes.

Our room was quiet and warm. The mattress was soft so if you need a stiff bed you might be disappointed. As advertised, the rooms are spacious. Plenty of room for numerous bags and equipment to be scattered about. Only gripe is that the halls are noisy. I could not hear my neighbors to the left or right of me, but I could hear anything going on in the hallway, including a dog fight between two irresponsible dog owners who both thought their dogs were too good for leashes.

Overall, a decent experience. A place to crash very close to the slopes.

• Liked — Only a quater mile from Boreal Ski Resort
  • Disliked — The bed was too soft for me.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank riverseine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,470 reviews

Been to Boreal Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!