All reviews third floor continental breakfast clawfoot tub up stairs hotel experience queen room open the window cereal amtrak midnight
Reviewed February 13, 2017

The Truckee Hotel has the best downtown location in a ski town where you pretty much have to drive to the major mountains anyway. There is very little ski on ski off at Alpine Meadows or Squaw Valley, so you are very likely going to have to drive. If you do find a condo close to the mountain you will very likely not be near any bars or restaurants. If you find a hotel the rate will likely be double the price of the Truckee Hotel. This holds true in the summer hiking season. So when visiting the Truckee area its a decision you need to make, be near the mountain and drive to eat or be near the restaurants and drive to ski or hike. The Truckee Hotel considers themselves to be more an Inn or B & B. The rooms are simple but cozy. We have stayed in several rooms now and the beds are very good. There is no elevator. They serve a free simple buffet breakfast, fruit, cereal, bagels and coffee. Many rooms have their own private baths but several don't and you use a communal bath down the hall. The baths are basic, very clean and the showers are good. Simply put, its a charming old yet quirky property. It has 3 floors of rooms so can handle a group of friends or a few families well. Moody's Bistro & Bar, one of the better restaurants in town is on the first floor! It's a fun old place with quirky heating but the reasonable rates reflect this. If you need a Marriot with its gym and air conditioning this may not be the place for you. But if you want a very good bed and decent shower, love being in the thick of it and not have to worry about driving after dinner this hotel ticks the box!

Room Tip: Top floor (4th) has the views, 2nd floor if you don't like stairs as there is no elevator
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2016

We stayed for one night and were pleasantly surprised at how nice the hotel was, the communal areas were decorated to a high standard. We booked an en suite room and were perfectly happy. You can hear the trains go past at night but it’s really not an issue. The restaurant and bar downstairs are both very smart with great waiters. I’d happily stay again and would recommend it. I’ve give it a ‘very good’ based mainly on its appearance and our sleep but my only criticism is that the breakfast was a small choice and rather disappointing give how good the restaurant was.

Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EalingTravels
Reviewed October 9, 2016 via mobile

I am the typical American. I am used to having the 'luxuries' of my own bathroom, plenty of electrical outlets and a nicely decorated bedroom. This hotel doesn't have all that- IT WAS WONDERFUL! We only stayed one night, but it was a fun experience. In our minimalist room we had a queen bed and a twin bed. Both were very comfortable. The old radiators and sink in room were sufficient and I loved the rustic feel. Don't think I would have loved it in 1873, but it was fun to try out. The staff was superb! Hotel is a real treasure. For any of you who are a fan of the show Hell on Wheels- this place is a MUST! All the shops and restaurants in walking distance are top notch. We had pizza, Mexican and breakfast during our stay. This town is beautiful and I would love to return!

Stayed: October 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed August 4, 2016

I wavered between the modern hotel with the pool, but not in town and the Truckee Hotel. We chose the historical hotel because we wanted to start our vacation in Wild West style. We arrived, checked in and found a cooler hallway in the hotel. Later, we saw people swimming in the Truckee River and figured we would have done that if we were there for more than one night. It was a fun, historical experience and felt a lot like Europe.
I used an old cooling off trick from my childhood without air conditioning. Wet a towel, wring it out and put it on top of the sheet. Blow the fan over it. Not bad.
We did not partake of the free breakfast as I really wanted to try the "Squeeze Inn" breakfast place.
Free wine for an hour, lots of energy and people watching. I would not have stayed here with a baby or if I wanted climate control. The restaurant was awesome!

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2016 via mobile

We stopped here late after an extremely long day of off-roading. The guy at the desk was great. We didn't exactly realize the hotel was original. The rooms have modern updates such as a tv, newer shelving, and a fan. But the rest is very old, but taken care of. We loved it. It was like staying back in the old days. The train passes by every now an then which you can hear, but that's all apart of the experience. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple