All reviews third floor continental breakfast clawfoot tub up stairs hotel experience queen room open the window cereal amtrak midnight
Reviewed March 26, 2016 via mobile

This hotel is very convenient if you want to stay in Truckee to dine, shop or listen to music. It is right downtown and in walking distance to all of the best shops, bars and restaurants. It is very old and "original" meaning that it's not remodeled with big televisions or modern shower heads. The heat is steam heat which is hard to regulate. We kept very comfortable by opening our windows when it got too stuffy. It was a big, open and quiet room with high ceilings. I have to say that we slept quite well, but I f the sound of trains rolling by bothers you, this is not the place for you!

Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2016

My husband and I recently stayed in this hotel on a ski trip. We decided to save a little money so we were in a European style room which basically means the bathroom is shared with other rooms in the hall. We did not have to wait at all to use the shower in the morning so it worked out just fine. We have travelled extensively so this sort of arrangement does not bother us and was worth it for the savings. The hotel is located at the end of the main strip of restaurants and shops so the location is ideal for walking to dinner. It is also a quick drive to the ski resorts in North Lake Tahoe. I loved the charm of the inn, but it can be a bit loud at night so I would bring ear plugs. From our room we could hear the door downstairs opening and closing until about midnight. It is also near the train tracks so be prepared for that (although I think I only heard one or two trains throughout the evening). There is a continental breakfast with oatmeal, bagels, fruit etc. Overall I recommend a stay here. As long as people realize they are paying well below the average rate in the area, and are staying at a historic hotel vs. a chain hotel I think most will be pleased.

• Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2016

A fine place to stay. But it is an old world hotel experience. A short walk from the train station so train noise is an issue. But you knew that. Moody's is downstairs for a cocktail. Sit on the Veranda and buy a bottle of wine and watch the trains and the people. Beds are comfy and the place is immaculatly clean, so don't worry about the shared baths. Front desk person was awesome and very helpful. Simplicity at its best. Be prepared to climb stairs; and at 7,000 feet so bring your inhalor.

• Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2016

I don't think that paying less should mean a dirty unsafe place, but I also don't expect large lavish rooms, modern faculties or other aspects I would expect from a "5 star" hotel.

The Truckee hotel is everything I want in a hotel and over exceeds dollar for dollar. We stayed in a 100USD per night "European Double" with a bathroom down the hall. The hotel itself is clean, safe and inviting and offers a great place to lay your head and rest with access to great ski resorts, downtown Truckee and the Amtrak.

If you are headed into Tahoe for a first time and would like to save your serious spending on the slopes I think this a perfect place to start. If you want to enjoy the city I highly suggest that you check out Moody's downstairs and make sure you sit next to the music. If you are expecting to have a ski trip with groups of friends I would suggest finding a cabin but if you are looking for a romantic getaway with food, skiing, jazz and a historic town without breaking the bank- This is your spot!

Room Tip: Higher up for quiet rooms, Park across the street
  • Stayed: January 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2016

I stayed three nights at the hotel between Christmas and the New Year Holidays. Great location with the restaurant and bar downstairs and other food options right down the street. I stayed in the queen room with the bathroom down the hall. Both shower/toilets on the floor were clean and well maintained. Plenty of toiletries available for use and two sets of towels provided in the room. The room was small and without a chair to sit in, but a dresser and armoire provide good storage for my ski gear and clothing. One overhead room light and a light over the room sink. No other lighting and only one outlet in the room to plug your phone or laptop into. I could not figure out how to connect to the wifi but that is probably my issue. I was on the 2nd floor and the floors creak as you walk around in the room and hallways.

Very comfortable bed and the noise from the street, within the building and the train was noticeable but hardly loud enough to keep me awake. Families using the hallway as a meeting area was probably the noisiest event but generally breaks up after someone tells them that their voices can be heard in the rooms. A mix of families and adults staying but all generally pretty quiet. Radiator steam heat comes on in the morning for a couple of hours and then sometime after 5pm on to 11pm, plenty warm personally.

Continental breakfast includes coffee, milk, orange juice, bagels, muffins, sliced bread, a toaster is provided. A pot of oatmeal, cereal and fruit was available. Paid street parking between 10am-6pm with free two hour parking in the lot across the street. If it is snowing the no parking from 2am-5am is enforced for plowing, otherwise you can park overnight. The hotel will provide notice if plowing will occur. This is a very retro accommodation, but offers location and convenience to Truckee and skiing that can’t be beat. It’s not a place for my wife but I liked it because the rate is better than other conventional lodgings nearby and the accommodations are simple.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs if your sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed: December 2015, traveled solo