All reviewshistoric hotelthird floorcontinental breakfastclawfoot tubup stairshotel experiencequeen roomopen the windowrestaurants and shopscerealamtrakmidnight
Reviewed January 3, 2016

I stayed three nights at the hotel between Christmas and the New Year Holidays. Great location with the restaurant and bar downstairs and other food options right down the street. I stayed in the queen room with the bathroom down the hall. Both shower/toilets on the floor were clean and well maintained. Plenty of toiletries available for use and two sets of towels provided in the room. The room was small and without a chair to sit in, but a dresser and armoire provide good storage for my ski gear and clothing. One overhead room light and a light over the room sink. No other lighting and only one outlet in the room to plug your phone or laptop into. I could not figure out how to connect to the wifi but that is probably my issue. I was on the 2nd floor and the floors creak as you walk around in the room and hallways.

Very comfortable bed and the noise from the street, within the building and the train was noticeable but hardly loud enough to keep me awake. Families using the hallway as a meeting area was probably the noisiest event but generally breaks up after someone tells them that their voices can be heard in the rooms. A mix of families and adults staying but all generally pretty quiet. Radiator steam heat comes on in the morning for a couple of hours and then sometime after 5pm on to 11pm, plenty warm personally.

Continental breakfast includes coffee, milk, orange juice, bagels, muffins, sliced bread, a toaster is provided. A pot of oatmeal, cereal and fruit was available. Paid street parking between 10am-6pm with free two hour parking in the lot across the street. If it is snowing the no parking from 2am-5am is enforced for plowing, otherwise you can park overnight. The hotel will provide notice if plowing will occur. This is a very retro accommodation, but offers location and convenience to Truckee and skiing that can’t be beat. It’s not a place for my wife but I liked it because the rate is better than other conventional lodgings nearby and the accommodations are simple.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs if your sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed: December 2015, traveled solo
1  Thank N W
Reviewed January 2, 2016

We rented this based on the price and location. I had read the other reviews and was a little apprehensive but it turned out great. We got a room with a bathroom and it was a decent size and had a flat screen tv. Pros: location is in the heart of downtown so you can walk to all the restaurants/shops, the price is unbeatable, the staff was very welcoming. Cons: the rooms are a bit loud at night and parking is a bit of a nightmare.

Room Tip: Verify where you can park before leaving your car overnight
  • Stayed: November 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2015

Not for people who want a Hilton experience, but the history and location make up for it. We had a room on third floor with bath down the hall, lavatory in room. No TV or phone in room but plenty of character and can walk to anywhere. Bar with music on ground floor so ask for a quieter room, we had 305 and had no problems. Bed was great and had good night's sleep. Breakfast (complimentary) is sort of skimpy, just choice of carb or cereal, but great breakfast places a block away. Would definitely stay again. Good value too.

Room Tip: Ask for quieter room , near back.
  • Stayed: October 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2015

Ventured outside the canned hotel box to do a last minute overnight at this historic hotel - so glad we did! The hotel is conveniently located on the main street - walking distance to just about everything. Street parking is free from 6p - 10a. Moody's Bistro is in the building.
Hotel Staff was very friendly and helpful. Stayed in the European Double Double on the 3rd floor (no elevator) - roomy & quaint, comfortable beds w/ plenty of pillows, in-room sink and windows that open! There is a selection of toilet/shower rooms down the hall with an ingenious "sink" on the top of each toilet - needs to be seen to appreciate the simplicity and great use of limited space. A simple continental breakfast was included. Appreciated the free ear plugs which helped tone down the train horns (our windows were open). Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel if you have concerns about the train as there are a limited number of non-street-side rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2015 via mobile

But I don't. It is priced too high for what you get, or rather what you don't get:
•Internet. Even in the common room it constantly drops the signal, and is slow when I am actually connected.
•Hot water. Because it is historic, the hotel can't update its plumbing. I couldn't get hot water in the sink in my room at about 8:15 am. The excuse was that other guests had used it up before I got up. I did have hot water in the afternoon.
•Parking. A real issue during the day when all lots are full as is every inch of street parking.
•Heat. I know it is Labor Day weekend, but the nights are cold. There is one hot water heating system for the building, and it is not on at the moment. I assume that because of historic constraints they can't update the electrical system either and therefore I couldn't get an electric heater.
•Outlets. There was only one. I had multiple devices to charge--oh, wait! Since I couldn't get internet, I guess it doesn't matter that they weren't charged.
•A plug for the sink. With separate vintage hot and cold faucets and no plug, there was no way to mix the water to a comfortable temperature for washing up at night. I asked for one this morning, and never received it. I am tired of complaining--I don't want to be that person--so won't ask again
•Towel hooks or bars. Not sure where to hang the wet wash cloth!
•Horizontal surfaces. I had to keep all my belongings on the floor except for what I could cram onto a 12" square table near the sink.

I would have been okay with these drawbacks for about $99 a night. But I am paying $149 before taxes.

That said, it is a great location and the beds are comfortable and the place is clean. The staff is very nice but doesn't have any solutions to offer except for sincere apologies.

Stayed: September 2015, traveled solo