The Truckee Hotel
Truckee Donner Lodge(Truckee)(Great Value!)
$159
Best Western Plus Truckee-Tahoe Hotel(Truckee)(Great Value!)
$207
$149
$185
$499
Hotels.com
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts(Truckee)(Great Value!)
$229
$419
$189
$175
Hotwire.com
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshistoric hotelthird floorcontinental breakfastbagelsclawfoot tubrestaurant and bar downstairslight sleeperair conditioningopen the windowwalking distancequeen roomhotel experiencerestaurants and shopsbathroomamtrakmidnightski
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here recently here are my thoughts:

- Staff are very helpful and friendly (like most American hotels)
- The hotel and rooms are clean but basic
- The continental breakfast is basic - bagels or fruit is pretty much all we saw
- Right in the middle of Truckee so close to all shops/restaurants/bars
- Expensive given it is such a basic hotel (I think it charges a premium for the location and history of the place).

But by far the standout memory of this hotel is the noise from the trains.... before I booked I had seen the trains mentioned on here but decided to try it anyway as the hotel is a bit quirky and it is bang in the centre of truckee (we wanted to be in staggering distance of the pubs). However, if you book here you really need to be aware just how loud the train is - there was no way you could sleep through the noise and we counted 8 trains overnight on one night. By the end of our stay we were looking forward to moving onto the next town with no trains.

I wouldnt stay again because of the noise but also other hotels that are nowhere near the train lines and have more facilities are about the same price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank paulyjk111
Reviewed January 7, 2013

OVERVIEW: The Truckee Hotel is located right in downtown Truckee - one of the few places to stay in downtown. This is very convenient for shopping and dinner, however, downtown Truckee does not have much of an after-dinner nightlife. Try Moody's or the Bar of America if you plan to stay up late.
ROOMS: The price for a room is reasonable - if you don't mind sharing a bathroom down the hall with strangers. There are only 8 rooms with private bathrooms and the price jumps $60 for one of those rooms. The rooms are small, just enough space for a double or queen bed, a corner sink (yes, in the room), a nightstand and small storage next to the sink. The private bathrooms are large (but the sink is still next to the bed). There is no elevator, so expect to make good friends with the stairs (and hope you're not on the 4th floor).
BED: The bed was quite comfortable, and the down comforter on the bed was very warm. Surprisingly the bed did not squeak when I moved.
ELECTRICAL: Power for lights, outlets and the TV have been run to each room down the interior walls, but the hotel must still have some old electrical somewhere, because the power tripped in our second floor room. The front desk said that too many people were using their space heaters at the same time. I was able to use my blow dryer the next morning with no problems, but was afraid to turn it on high power.
BREAKFAST: The hotel's website boasts "a continental breakfast of rich brewed coffee and herbal teas, baked goods, fruit, oatmeal/cereals, and juice". However, when I came downstairs for breakfast at 8:30, there was no regular coffee available, and the only food out was english muffins and apples. With only one toaster, there was a long wait for the english muffins. Not sure if there were really other food choices available or not. It appeared that the front desk person was in charge of keeping the breakfast area stocked, but was too busy checking out people. I gave up and went out for breakfast.
NOISE: Having stayed in several historic hotels before, I thought I was prepared for this one. But the noise level was really incredible. The doors to the hallway and the doors for adjoining rooms are original, which means that they don't fit well in the frames. Both sound and light find their way in around the doors. There also must not be insulation in the walls. I could hear everything that went on the hallway, and everything that went on the in the room next to me. I could hear the guy in the next room brushing his teeth and yawning. I could hear the people above me using the bathroom (and not just flushing the toilet, if you know what I mean). I could hear every person that clomped up and down the stairs. Just a reminder that this means everyone around you can hear what YOU'RE doing too. :-). I did not notice the trains however. Probably the only thing that I didn't hear.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple