“Fabulous venue, room mediochre”

Donner Lake Village
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous venue, room mediochre”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The views, the lake were amazing but the room was 'tired' which was a shame. The bed was very small and not particularly comfortable, overall the place was clean, had a fridge (really noisy overnight!) and a microwave but no crockery or cutlery or glasses, just 4 coffee mugs.

That said it was still a good place to stay, lovely for families - paradise for children.

If you can- forget the room and just look out of the windows or from the balcony - views are splendid and that's what matters here I think.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Orangevale, California
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This place doesn't come close to looking like it does in the photos. I am not sure how you can have such a false front of what you are renting out., This place is reasonably priced, especially since I was able to take advantage of a discount, but PLEASE, this place is old and dirty!!. You could not walk around inside with bare feet, the carpet was crusty and your feet would be black. The walls and furniture had something sticky all over them. The beds were SO uncomfortable, it was crazy. The bedspread is dirty and from 1970's. The floor in the bathroom had black mold growing under the flooring. The only thing about this place is it was convieient to the marina. I swear this place has bed bugs as each time I was in the room my skin was itching. GROSS, stay somewhere else

Room Tip: Dirty, outdated and the photos they show are completely false! Doesn't look anything like them.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Correen B
DTFam10558, General Manager at Donner Lake Village, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
I apologize for the late response to your review; I was having your room inspected in order to address your concerns. We regret that we did not have the opportunity hear any of your concerns upon your stay with us. If your experience was as in any way unpleasant we would have been happy move you to another room or otherwise attempt to mitigate the problem.

Upon inspection of your room there is no mold in the bathroom. Most importantly there are no bedbugs in the room as we expected. We have never had this issue at Donner Lake Village and we were surprised to have it brought up.

All the photos and virtual tours on our website are of existing rental units and common areas and are in no way false. A lot of the photos on our website do show our lake view rooms so I have asked our website manager to add additional non-lake view rooms similar to the one you rented.

Again we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Donner Lake Village and wish we had had the opportunity to improve you experience while you were with us.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Right on Donner Lake which is a good alternative to Lake Tahoe, while still fairly close for you to go there for the day/half a day.

The lake is way smaller but the view is gorgeous.

Although dated, rooms are clean, comfortable and quite big.

The only complain we had is that the 2nd bed (coming out of a sofa) was very uncomfortable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Menifee, California
Reviewed July 28, 2011

There are very few (if any) other lake front lodging/hotels on Donner Lake and nothing of this quality that I saw. This 'resort' gets a lot of use but happily it is fairly well maintained. It's conveniently next to the boat/personal watercraft rentals and a fishing pier. No morning lobby meals, has BBQ's available, some small but nice lawn areas (with plastic chairs/lounges) next to a small beach. No pool or spa that I saw. Parking was adequate.
Our room had a King bed and a foldout couch, table/chairs and a small kitchenette with all the pots/china/tableware for 4 people, nice. The bed/mattress was kind of hard, bathroom was reasonably clean.
My only real gripe was the carpet, well worn and looked/felt dirty. Yes, it was vacuumed - but needed cleaning. Of course this is common in these high traffic establishments but their room prices made me expect more.
But, we'd stay again if we needed a spot so convenient to the lake, no other choice really.
I'd rate it a 3-1/2 if I could

Room Tip: Call the Resort direct for the latest, best prices.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
luckysoul777
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Like they always say, "you pay for what you get", and Donner Lake Village Resort is no exception. It is definitely not fancy, but it's a functional budget hotel. It also has a small kitchen so that you don't have to eat out every night. That would save you even more.
I do agree with another review saying the wall is thin. If you are a light sleeper, you should go somewhere else. I definitely DISAGREE with one other review saying you can get a 4-star hotel for the same price. A 4-star hotel around Lake Tahoe/ Truckee costs you $300/night and *OFTEN MORE* in winter. This place cost me $160/night, tax included! One should not compare hotels in different geographical areas or during peak vs. off seasons over price. If you are price conscious and yet expect a fancier hotel but you don't mind driving out of the area, Reno could be a place for such deals.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank luckysoul7777
OAKLEY CA
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I just recently stayed at Donner Lake Resort..totally disappointed...the rooms are a lot to be desired...the internet pictures are very deceiving...I was totally in for a shock...the room was a flash back of 1970...the carpet probably hadnt been changed since the place was built ,nor the furniture...for the amount paid we could have stayed at a 4 star resort..never again...dont let internet pictures fool you...they took pictures of their best features..the lake and the townhouses I assume since I didnt see them
...I need a refund.....where was their customer service then....room 245

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We recently had a West coast family reunion at Donner Lake Resort... this is our third time at the resort. We keep coming back because of the great location and welcoming feel we receive each time. We especially enjoy using the townhouses on the lake. Lots of room with full kitchen and 2 bathrooms. I want to personally thank Michelene for assisting in the reservations and especially thank Michael who was wonderful. I want to thank Michael for bringing the vase full of fresh lilacs to the town house...my mother still talks about you. They are her favorite flowers.

Truckee is a great town and we will be back in the future to enjoy the best resort in the area!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank OTBART1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Best Western Plus Truckee-Tahoe Hotel
#10 of 13 in Truckee
The Village At Squaw Valley
The Village At Squaw Valley
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to Donner Lake Village? Share your experiences!