“Great location”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
San Francisco, California
“Great location”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Right on Donner Lake which is a good alternative to Lake Tahoe, while still fairly close for you to go there for the day/half a day.

The lake is way smaller but the view is gorgeous.

Although dated, rooms are clean, comfortable and quite big.

The only complain we had is that the 2nd bed (coming out of a sofa) was very uncomfortable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Menifee, California
Reviewed July 28, 2011

There are very few (if any) other lake front lodging/hotels on Donner Lake and nothing of this quality that I saw. This 'resort' gets a lot of use but happily it is fairly well maintained. It's conveniently next to the boat/personal watercraft rentals and a fishing pier. No morning lobby meals, has BBQ's available, some small but nice lawn areas (with plastic chairs/lounges) next to a small beach. No pool or spa that I saw. Parking was adequate.
Our room had a King bed and a foldout couch, table/chairs and a small kitchenette with all the pots/china/tableware for 4 people, nice. The bed/mattress was kind of hard, bathroom was reasonably clean.
My only real gripe was the carpet, well worn and looked/felt dirty. Yes, it was vacuumed - but needed cleaning. Of course this is common in these high traffic establishments but their room prices made me expect more.
But, we'd stay again if we needed a spot so convenient to the lake, no other choice really.
I'd rate it a 3-1/2 if I could

Room Tip: Call the Resort direct for the latest, best prices.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
luckysoul777
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Like they always say, "you pay for what you get", and Donner Lake Village Resort is no exception. It is definitely not fancy, but it's a functional budget hotel. It also has a small kitchen so that you don't have to eat out every night. That would save you even more.
I do agree with another review saying the wall is thin. If you are a light sleeper, you should go somewhere else. I definitely DISAGREE with one other review saying you can get a 4-star hotel for the same price. A 4-star hotel around Lake Tahoe/ Truckee costs you $300/night and *OFTEN MORE* in winter. This place cost me $160/night, tax included! One should not compare hotels in different geographical areas or during peak vs. off seasons over price. If you are price conscious and yet expect a fancier hotel but you don't mind driving out of the area, Reno could be a place for such deals.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank luckysoul7777
OAKLEY CA
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I just recently stayed at Donner Lake Resort..totally disappointed...the rooms are a lot to be desired...the internet pictures are very deceiving...I was totally in for a shock...the room was a flash back of 1970...the carpet probably hadnt been changed since the place was built ,nor the furniture...for the amount paid we could have stayed at a 4 star resort..never again...dont let internet pictures fool you...they took pictures of their best features..the lake and the townhouses I assume since I didnt see them
...I need a refund.....where was their customer service then....room 245

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Truckee hotels

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We recently had a West coast family reunion at Donner Lake Resort... this is our third time at the resort. We keep coming back because of the great location and welcoming feel we receive each time. We especially enjoy using the townhouses on the lake. Lots of room with full kitchen and 2 bathrooms. I want to personally thank Michelene for assisting in the reservations and especially thank Michael who was wonderful. I want to thank Michael for bringing the vase full of fresh lilacs to the town house...my mother still talks about you. They are her favorite flowers.

Truckee is a great town and we will be back in the future to enjoy the best resort in the area!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank OTBART1
Santa Barbara
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Supported by a friendly staff, close proximity to Sugarbowl, excellent location by Donner Lake and a clean 1 bedroom unit, one would think that the Donner Lake Village Resort would be the ultimate place to stay. It is. Until your neighbors arrive.

Night 1: To call the walls paper thin would be an insult to paper. Our neighbors next door to us were not that loud, yet we could hear every word spoken. Unfortunately, they were up way past midnight . We rise the next day at 7:00 am for skiing at Sugarbowl. I am irritated but once I hit the slopes, the lack of sleep is forgotten. At least for a short period of time.

Night 2: Having the nerve to actually want sleep, my daughter and I abandon the bedroom and decide to sleep on the pull out couch in the living room. I am so tired that I hardly feel the horizontal bar from the pull out couch poking me in the back. All of a sudden, the walls and ceiling begin to shake. My downhill skiing dreams evaporate and I am now in Nebraska on skis being chased by large Buffalo herds.

Just as I am about to be trampled to death, I wake up. I discover that the Buffalo herd is actually the children of my new upstairs neighbors running around. It sounded and felt like a wrecking ball was hitting the entire unit. The decorative plates that were hanging on our were moving back and forth. By 10:00, the violent shaking stopped.

Night 3: For the most part, same as Night 2 except we decided to part company with the horizontal bar from the pull out couch. With nowhere else to sleep, we made a bed on the floor. At $220 per night plus tax.

I stayed in room 117 from January 16, 2009 to January 19, 2009. If you are deaf or like to stay up late and party, then this is the place for you. I mean that sincerely. During my college days, I was temporarily deaf from listening to loud Led Zepplin, I stayed up late and partied and only skied in the afternoon. In 1977 to 1981, this would have been the perfect place for me to stay.

For me these days, the volume has been turned down a bit so my hearing has returned, the partying stops a little earlier and I hit the slopes as soon as they open.

Jim Daly
Dalylaw@silcom.com

• Liked — Everything except the paper thin walls and ceilings
  • Disliked — The paper thin walls and ceilings
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank dalylaw
London
Reviewed January 12, 2009

We were skiing in Tahoe for few days and chose Donner Lake and I'm really glad we did. The location is fabulous. I personally find smaller lakes more charming and cozy. We had a 1 bedroom suite at the end of the building next to the lake so we faced the lake on both sides of the living room.

The accomodation was spacious. Things were on the more basic side but the view was unbeatable. It was great to come back at the end of the day and cook dinner in the full kitchen.

We thought it was really good value overall (they were running a mid-week special). And the drive to Squaw Valley was convenient and scenic (20 min) though a bit far from Heavenly (about an hour on the Western Shore passing by amazing vista points like Vikingsholm)...

• Liked — Location location location
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HappySwan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Best Western Plus Truckee-Tahoe Hotel
#10 of 13 in Truckee
The Village At Squaw Valley
The Village At Squaw Valley
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to Donner Lake Village? Share your experiences!