“Best of the guides.”

Tributary Whitewater Tours
Ranked #2 of 18 Tours in Truckee
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Yes available in 2017!! Truckee River whitewater rafting trips just east of Truckee, CA. Closest Rafting to Lake Tahoe and Reno! This is a 1/2 day trip with 2 departures daily at 9:15am or 1:30pm. We meet at the Truckee River RV park a few miles east of Truckee off Highway 80 and will shuttle you to and from the river. The rafting trip is 7 miles of exciting Class 2-3+ rapids suitable for ages 7+ and non-swimmers. Personal Floatation Devices, helmets, paddles, rafts, and a professional river guide to help you maneuver safely down the river are all included. Cold drinks are served at the take-out and we shuttle you back to our meeting location. *** This is NOT the self guided float out of Tahoe City. This is an entirely different section of the Truckee River. ***
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Looked forward to this part of our trip after months of planning.We had the best guide that could probably be had & was one of the first to start this adventure.He was a local native & proud of his knowledge & experience.The rapids were few & river mostly tame untill the end of the journey.The last 10 or 15 minutes are the high light at this time of year anyway.The guide in front of our raft did manage to loose his group in the river so we did have a little extra excitement.His passengers were part of our group of 8 so that made it worthwhile pulling them from the water.Watching the tumble & rescueing was fun.

All reviews
"white water rafting"
in 6 reviews
"class rapids"
in 7 reviews
"tour company"
"raft trip"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"
"middle fork"
"a lot of fun"
"tahoe area"
"rafters"

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was a bit hesitant about Whitewater rafting. Never did it before and heard horror stories about people who "fell out and almost died" while rafting - so when I was choosing a tour to go on, I chose the Truckee river as it sounded about my speed. They say the minumum age was 8 years old and you didn't need to know how to swim. Considering that I CAN swim and am 45 years old, I felt like it was something I could handle the first time whitewater rafting in order to gauge whether I'd like it or not.

The tour is a 7 mile float down the Truckee river with Class I and II rapids and a Class III+ at the end. We had a good time. Had a good safety talk at the beginning and floating down the river was peaceful and the scenery was nice. Guides were nice and knowledgable.

In retrospect - the tour was a little too tame for my tastes. We hardly got wet and the last rapid - while fun and exciting - wasn't too scary. No one fell out of the boat or felt in danger at any time. I would definitely take the next rafting trip at a step up from the one we did.

Overall, our experience with this tour group was fine. They were professional and did a good job. Remember to tip your guides at the end of the trip too. Watch for discount coupons on the internet - you can save $5/person on the cost of the trip.

1  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

The guide did a good job of making the trip fun. This section of the river is really not as advanced as the tour company claims online but is a fun little trip

2  Thank anewman87
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was our favorite part of our trip to Tahoe. Truckee is a great little town only about 20 minutes north of our hotel in Squaw Valley. The company was great - helpful in recommending the right level for my family. Guides were fun yet professional. We did wish there was more whitewater, but I know in the summer the river is a little slower. The trip was definitely more exciting than the floats out of Tahoe City (just ask the girl who fell out of our raft!). We can't wait to go again.

If you do go rafting here, plan on some time in Truckee before or after - nice town with shops and restaurants.

1  Thank DrivingMama
See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I'm actually surprised with all the wonderful reviews this company had. Their truck smelled like dog poo, they river guides changed their cloths on the way to the river, not to mention one of them was just totally unprofessional. The rafting part was mostly a joy ride with about 30 seconds of excitement. And after we finished, there was a dog in the car that we had to leave in. When I looked astonished that there was a dog, one of the older workers looked at me like I was crazy. Some people have horrible allergies to pets, but sorry, I'm sure you're business is doing well enough not to think about that. Also, the pictures they take are a joke. Not worth the $70 bucks.