“Home from home”
other travelers have booked this property
Stunning views everywhere,this comfortable cozy cabin has it all.
Steps to the blue lake. Looking up from Donner Pass Road  and Donner Lake. Wake up to beautiful colorful mornings.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Stunning views everywhere,this comfortable cozy cabin has it all.
Steps to the blue lake. Looking up from Donner Pass Road  and Donner Lake.
Wake up to beautiful colorful mornings.
This public pier is for the enjoyment of all and is directly across from the house.
First good snow of the 2016 -2017 season. Off to Sugar Bowl only minutes up the hill to great skiing
The Tiled Entry
Large deck with lake and mountain views, off the living/dining area.
View from spacious living room to dining area and kitchen.
Large warm welcoming  great room with flat screen TV.
The fire place is currently non-operational.
There is an open dining and living room area, that seats up to eight.
Updated spotless kitchen with beautiful granite counters and hard wood floors.
Dining away from the crowds
Upstairs queen with Flat screen HDTV
Upstairs bedroom with a queen bed.
Spotless upstairs 3/4 bathroom with easy entry shower.
Easy entry shower
Hard wood entry from front door with floor to ceiling windows for a stunning view.
Spacious Queen Bedroom with lake views.
Bedroom views
The sparkling clean downstairs bathroom includes a tub and shower with dual shower heads.
Cozy queen bed with lake views and deck.
Walk out those doors onto a priviate deck off your bedroom and enjoy a quiet moment.
View from other downstairs bedroom.
Surrounded by beautiful gardens, south side of the house facing Donner Lake and Donner Pass Road.
The deck over looks the Donner Lake with comfortable seating for a group of six.
You can almost touch the Cool Waters of Donner Lake from our peaceful home.
Everyone can enjoy lake and mountain views from the spacious redwood deck.
Enjoy grilling your favorite dish on our Char-Broil 2-Burner TRU-Infrared Gas Grill.
A special swing from Weasel chair at Alpine Meadows.
Sit in the ski chair swing and overlook our little jewel.
Stairs to Donner Pass Road and the lake.
The Donner Avenue side of the house, the front door, and 3 car parking area.
Stairs to the front Door
hang out and look for the eagle
Floor to ceiling windows capture the fantastic views.
Public Pier 26 is directly across the street.
Yes the Eagle landed right in the tree in front of the house.
Deck view to the lake and pier below.
Steps along the side of the house.
Come sit and enjoy the view.
Speculator sunrises
Ahhhhhhh the color
The house is located on the sunny north side of the lake
Famous old 40 Rainbow Bridge. Located west of our home.
Enjoying the view east from the pier.
Looking to the west from the pier. Paddle the calm waters.
Walk the old train tunnels a short drive up the summit
The Donner Party camped out east of our home. Visit the beautiful new museum
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Helen B
Berkeley, California
“Home from home”
Reviewed January 1, 2017 for a stay in December 2016

We stayed at the house for a week in December. The house was very comfortable and had everything that we needed. The views are amazing and our stay was very enjoyable. The location just across the road from Donner Lake was peaceful, picturesque and well situated for access to Truckee and the many area ski resorts. The owners were friendly and helpful and very easy to work with.

Jan 2, 2017
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at our Donner Lake Home. We are so glad you enjoyed your Holiday week in our home and look forward to having you stay again.
rsloneker
Los Angeles, California
“Saved our vacation!”
Reviewed August 13, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Our original rental was cut short due to circumstances out of our control. When we happened across this beautiful home. The location was what we were looking for and then some! The home was beautiful, clean, welcoming and a personal touch that made us feel special. We enjoyed the parks, hiking, the dock, boating, Sup's, history and discovered the quaint little town. Enjoyed the restaurants and shopping. Thank you for saving our vacation!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and style. The gardens are welcoming and show pride of ownership
Liked least: Unfortunately the hot tub was not currently usable
Traveling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Aug 14, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to review our home and your stay at "Steps away". We would like to clarify that the non working hot tub has not been advertised as an amenity of the property so that we do not let down a guests expectations. It is going to be removed and the area turned into a sunroom. So to our future guests don't expect a hot tub just a lot of fun.
Inger N
Truckee, California
“House & Hosts Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed August 8, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

We spent a family weekend at Claudia and Tim's house. It was exactly what I was hoping, even more! The house has an amazing view of the lake and we took full advantage of the public dock right across the street. The deck provided a fun, festive atmosphere as we BBQ'd, sipped on good red wine while evening runners, cyclists and paddlers sprinkled the road and waters below. My mother was particularly fond of all the stars that came out at night. The kitchen inventory, house cleanliness, and plentiful space allowed for all of us to be together without stepping over each other. I was incredibly impressed with the beautiful kitchen (now I know what sink I want for my new kitchen!) and the overall comfort of the house. It was the perfect combination of having a unique, cute Donner house combined with comfortable upgrades. We highly recommend Claudia & Tim's house!

Liked best: Cleanliness, comfort, location
Liked least: Trip Advisor's booking experience
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Aug 12, 2016
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at "Steps Away". We are so glad you enjoyed your weekend get a way in our home and look forward to having you again.
tameraric...
Escondido, California
“Wonderful 50th Birthday Vacation!”
Reviewed August 1, 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

I decided to book a long weekend getaway for my husband's 50th Birthday and this home met all of our expectations. My 15 year old son and I searched for months for just the right home and we chose this one. We never rented a home in Tahoe before and weren't sure of the area to choose but Donner Lake was perfect. It was close enough to everything but secluded enough to avoid the crowds.

This house is a perfect size for a small family looking for a nice time in Tahoe. It was beautifully decorated and extremely clean. Claudia was very responsive and helpful with all of our questions prior to checking in. She even left us a yummy birthday cake for my husband, such a nice treat.

I would highly recommend this home to anyone.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Aug 2, 2016
Tammy thank you so much for your lovely review. We really are pleased that the three of you had fun and enjoyed our little jewel. You are always welcome in our home.
Claudia and Tim
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 21, 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Jul 25, 2016
Thank you so much Justin ! It is an honor to receive such praise from someone with your background. We will continue to strive to meet your high expectations. Looking forward to having you back again. With sincere appreciation. Claudia and Tim.
NiCoLiE
Bay Area BABii
“Graded A+ all around no disappointments!”
Reviewed July 11, 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

This was my first time with a vacation rental. I hunted for a week for a special place and this by far was it. They communicated with me right away and answered my questions before I placed my reservation. Right after I placed the reservation they sent me an email to let me know when they will contact me. Being my first time I was nervous, but they put my stress at ease because they response was quick! This location is a short drive to down town Truckee, 50 steps from their front door to Donner lake, fully equipped kitchen, beautifully decorated house, all three bedrooms are alike and comfortable. They really make everything simple for you with emailed instructions and instructions when you arrive. I didn't have to figure anything out. The surroundings outside the house was relaxing, we made coffee every morning and sat on the deck looking at the lake before the sun fully came up. The neighborhood is quiet and the neighbors are friendly. There's extras of everything, towels, small toiletries, blankets, plastic garbage bags, sponges for the dishwasher and so on. Way better then staying at a hotel. The house is extremely clean!! I used the kitchen everyday and it was so nice having all appliances and dishes. There's wine glasses, utensils, electric kettle, cooking ware shot glasses everything. You don't need anything, but the food. I honestly didn't care that there wasn't a hot tub or washer and dryer big deal, the amount this place has to offer that is just small stuff. I highly recommend this place 100 percent. It is roomy and cozy. I slept well just like if I was at home. They are very sweet and really care about you and helping you with any needs or questions. I defitnitely would and will stay again next time I visit Truckee, that's if it's available :) Thankyou Claudia and Tim!!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Jul 15, 2016
Dearest Nicole, It seems it was the first for both of us :) I am Happier than I could tell you. It has been a real journey to make this project happen. Many years of questioning if it was something we should do. Yep it can be scary especially in this day. You were the best guest I could have hoped for and the fact that YOU were so pleased and that you had such a great time just sweetens it all the more. Tim and I will strive to meet your expectations and hope you will come visit again soon. Thank you so much for giving us such a beautifully written review. Best regards Claudia and Tim
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing