“Amazing Any Season” 5 of 5 bubbles

45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Amazing Any Season”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have visited the Trinity Alps area twice this year. The first time was in January when we rented a vacation home for several nights and simply unwinded in the snow after a long, busy holiday season. For the first trip we had an entire area of the mountains to ourselves. The cabin we rented was called Henson's Hideaway, and located near Trinity Center. We rented this home through VRBO. The home had a long, sloping driveway that was perfect for sledding. The area was blanketed with snow from several early winter storms.

We returned to the area in August to experience Trinity Lake. The views are stunning, and the lake is quite large. For this visit we rented a cabin at the Trinity Lake KOA campground. This facility boasts camp sites, RV sites and a variety of cabins. They offer an on-site marina for boaters, a small grocery story, snack bar, outdoor movies, bingo and a swimming pool. The stay was enjoyable, but the only lake access from the campground was via boat ramp. No beach or swimming here.

So we headed to the Pinewood Cove Resort which was about 15 miles back towards Weaverville on highway 3. This is also a nice campground and it has a marina, along with canoe and kayak rentals. We rented a canoe for a half-day, and explored the lake. This was the highlight of our weekend. We paddled for about five miles, found a wonderful shaded cove and had a private picnic lunch and relaxed for several hours before beginning our trip back to the marina. Pinewood Cove offers many of the same amenities as the Trinity Lake KOA, so I recommend this place for campers.

Trinity Center itself is very small and doesn't offer much in the way of services. If heading to the lake or the alps, you best bet is to stop in Redding on your way to the mountains to do your shopping. Redding is about 60 miles from Trinity Center. Or you can visit Weaverville, which is closer, but has a smaller selection of stores to choose from.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank jvptravels

Strathmore, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A little piece of heaven...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

Trinity Center was an absolute gift. I was looking for a personal retreat kind of vacation, and drove in from the coast. I quickly fell in love with this tiny town, its history and its people. There is a sadness in the loss of the old town, yet an optimism and hopefulness in the established new town. I visited the Scott Museum - a small, quiet museum that I had to myself, so I had plenty of opportunity for asking questions, etc. I also took in Lake Fest (July 23), which was a unique and fun experience with really great food and amazing music from Aimee Nolte (a local jazz artist). I camped at the Trinity Lake KOA, so this was not a luxurious experience, but more than met my needs for peace, quiet and beautiful scenery. I can't stop telling people about Trinity Center now!

Visited July 2011