“Fabulous fun”
Review of The Lost Whale Inn

The Lost Whale Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 6, 2013

On a road trip with my adult children. Called last minute and were privileged to get a room, and then a second room once we arrived. Beautiful grounds, flowers and grass and vegetable garden all over looking the deep blue pacific ocean. Available all night hot tub, sauna, fire pit is great for the late owls, or if you just are having so much fun you don't
Want to stop. The hike to the ocean is exciting for those who like adventure. From the wine when you arrive, the always available soft drinks and beer, to the amazing breakfast, this Inn and its purveyors make you feel like you are home .

Room Tip: Sauna and hot tub no pool
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank redmed
There are newer reviews for The Lost Whale Inn

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We booked at the last minute, so our room didn't have an ocean view, but that was the only departure from perfection in our too-brief two-night stay. It's hard to imagine a more beautiful location. The grounds are meticulously maintained. The inn itself is a great combination of modern and antique furnishings. The breakfasts are wonderful, as are the "snacks" presented at 4 PM, with much of the food coming from their own organic garden.

Our hosts Guia, Gary, and Sara(h?), were friendly, informative, welcoming, and just great to talk to. As vegetarians, we never felt like second-class culinary citizens. In fact, our every need was taken care of with a smile by the entire staff.

This place is a long way from home and from our usual California haunts, but we're going to make an effort to get back there somehow.

Room Tip: Trust the inn-keepers' advice: they're very clear about the characteristics of each room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tangible
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Guia & Gary are the most gracious, generous inn keepers in the history of the world! My wife and I arrived early at 1:30 and Guia graciously extended an invitation to join a lunch being provided to a Mother's Day group. Gary fired up the sauna then brought liquid refreshments while my wife and I looked out on the Pacific. The Inn was lovely, the setting even lovelier and the inn keepers gracious beyond belief. I cannot wait to go back!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve K
Reviewed May 24, 2013

First, my apologies to the folks at the Lost Whale Inn for how late I am in posting this review.
During a conversation last fall with my 12 year old daughter, two things surprised me, first that she knew what a “bucket list” was and second, that she actually had something to put on that list – visiting the Redwood Forest. So, thanks to our good friends at Southwest, who I think have the best frequent flier program around, my daughter and I cashed in some miles and few off to the west coast.

The trip was long. We left Chicago in the early morning, flew four hours to Portland and then got in our rental car for an additional 7 hours on the road. Needless to say, by the time we arrived in Trinidad, California, we were exhausted.

I did a lot of online research trying to find a place to stay and if you are reading this review, you have probably discovered the same thing I did, there aren’t many hotel options. So, I gave up on finding a hotel for a spell and called the folks at Redwood Trails Horse Rides. The more I’ve traveled the more I’ve learned that most of the places I visit are best seen from the saddle. After booking our reservations, I asked the owner if she had any suggestions for places to stay. She had one – the Lost Whale Inn.

When we arrived at the Lost Whale, it was late, about 10pm, way passed when we had hoped to check in. This is a bed and breakfast so I wasn’t sure what the proper etiquette was – did we knock or simply walk in, so I tried both. Once inside I peeked around until I found the owner busily washing the evening dishes. I introduced myself and my daughter, apologized for being so late and asked if we could still check in. The owner was fantastic, he welcomed us to the Inn and apologized that all of the chocolate chip cookies were gone but would we like for him to make a fresh batch? Well, from the perspective of a 12 year old, is that even a question? He then offered to put together a small plate of cheese, crackers, bread and olives for us and even offered some of the leftover meatloaf.

We were then given a tour which started with a full bar. After almost 12 hours on the road and in the air, a free glass of wine (or maybe two) was exactly what I needed. Our room was perfect. One of the most comfortable beds ever, complete with dark chocolate on the bed (not my daughter’s favorite so I got a double helping).

The next morning, while waiting for breakfast, my daughter and I walked down to the ocean using a well-warn path. We probably spent an hour picking up cool rocks and watching seals roll around on the rocks. With our pockets stuffed full of ocean treasures, we headed up to breakfast which rivaled anything I’ve ever seen or eaten at any 5 star hotel. All homemade and all delicious.

With our bellies full and feeling well rested we had a few hours before our horseback ride so we sat on the porch and kept a lookout for whales. Coming from the flat lands, neither of us had even seen a whale, but after just a few minutes of watching, we began to wonder why the name of the Inn was the Lost Whale, as every whale in the Pacific seemed to have come to that spot to show off for us. I hate to say we got bored watching whales but after saying “did you see that one” about 50 times, we didn’t feel quite so bad leaving the Inn to head off into the forest.

This was a perfect place for a father daughter adventure but now that I’ve been, I am anxious to return and spend some time relaxing on the porch with a glass of wine in my hand, counting whales and eating fresh cookies with my wife – even if it means another 7 hour car ride.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Mark J
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We recently stayed here for the first time and were just stunned by the warm and gracious hospitality of the hosts (actually the son and girl friend! as well as the parents). They all made our visit to their gorgeous B&B something really special. Their homemade breakfast buffet is amazing as is their afternoon wine and light food reception. The whole experience was first rate. The room was lovely (my only continuing complaint with B&B's is the lack of closets and storage) and the inn itself was in a perfect location overlooking the ocean. We had spectacular weather, which didn't hurt, so every window looked out on beautiful sights. I cannot say enough about the warmth and hospitality of the family that owns this place. Really, really special.

Room Tip: The pictures online give a good view of the rooms. Each one has its own character. We picked one wi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Such a darling place! Such friendly people who run the place. We loved talking with them and really enjoyed the amazing spread they put out for us for breakfast and evening "snacks". It was so peaceful to walk around the area and admire the beautiful gardens and breathtaking view of the ocean. This was my first B&B experience and I just hope that any others I stay in in the future are half as great as this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Areilmann
Reviewed May 15, 2013

When you tell a guy he is going to a B&B or Inn, sometimes that elicits a groan or two, expecting sleepy boredom, quilts, etc.

This place is pretty much exactly what one would want in a place. beautiful location and grounds, amazing views, very comfortable rooms, relaxed friendly atmosphere, a great unique breakfast as well as afternoon snacks/food and probably the nicest and coolest staff ( family owned) you will ever meet.

The view of the coastline was awesome..and take the trek down the path ( could be a little tricky for older folks toward the end but nothing crazy) to the rocky beach. The grounds also include a great hot tub and sauna. if you have an interest or at least an appreciation for gardens ( flowers and organic stuff) you will really appreciate what they have done here..just all very cool.

You can be as involved or not with other guests, but the place just lends itself to everyone just hanging out and having a good time.

Seriously you know a place is doing it right when you can be a young couple. a bunch of friends, or an older couple all being in the same place and feeling like it is great for everyone.

They also know the area very well and will suggest all the best places to hike or visit.

Just go...

Room Tip: Sort of depends on what you like and what bothers you. If you have the $ try and get a room that ha...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Surfingisfun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
View Crest Lodge
Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
Emerald Forest Cabins & RV

Been to The Lost Whale Inn? Share your experiences!