“Great food in the middle of nowhere...”
Review of Larrupin Cafe

Larrupin Cafe
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Trinidad
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
nyc
“Great food in the middle of nowhere...”
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

You always can tell you're off the beaten path in America when all the national chains have chosen to pass a spot by. So it is with this section of Northern California around Trinidad, population 300 or so. BUT that is a good thing....

Which brings me to this restaurant outside of Trinidad. It's amazing -- the food, decor, and wait staff. All were top notch. All entrees come with salad, a side and an appetizer board. There's so much food that you can split an entree with your partner and each get all the sides for a nominal amount. I had the grilled sea bass with lemon dill sauce and my wife and I had our own sides. We also split a roasted garlic appetizer. Wonderful....

For dessert, I had the chocolate cake which was gigantic but a little dry -- not recommended. My wife had the coeur de la creme, a specialty French dessert, that has heavenly -- highly recommended.

Our server Dusty knew far more about wine than we did and steered us in the right direction. She was also friendly and frank about the area. She made the meal more enjoyable.....

You should go....it's great when the locals step it up a notch!

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Paul L

Washington, Indiana
“Delicious!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband and I could not believe the quality of food as our hopes were not high in such a small town. Do not let the outside of the building deter you from stopping. Great place for a date.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Melissa P
San Francisco
“Food, meh, atmosphere great.”
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I used to loooove this place but the food quality has gone way down. Mostly Costco fare gussied up. It's a let down. The location is amazing and the decor used to be even more exotic. A server said it's under new management/owner and whoever it is lacks the taste and creativity of the original. I won't go out if my way to go there anytime soon.

• Visited November 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Have a reservation, but...”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Don't expect them to know you have one. We were wise to have one, but they didn't really know we did. Hostess never asked our name or # in party. Didn't seat us until 20 minutes after our reservation. Many selections were sold out. Appetizers were fantastic. Our entrees were wonderful. Mesquite grilled anything is great! Our steak knives were very dull, but the meat was a tender surprise once we hacked off small enough bites. Servers don't know wines very well to pair with the evening meals. Desert was average.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Encajes
Austin
“Outstanding flavors!”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I can't say enough good things about this little two story restaurant in the boondocks! Beautiful, huge floral arrangements greet you, as well as a lovely glass chandelier. The dining room is dim, romantic, and sultry. Deep reds, twinkle lights, and eclectic art fill the interior.

We started with the brie, which was wrapped in phyllo dough and baked to golden perfection. Then came the appetizer board, which was a beautiful selection of cucumber slices topped with smoked salmon, chicken liver paté, chevre, toasts, apple slices, and edible flowers. I chose the Spanikopita, and it was some of the best spinach pie I have ever had! It was delightfully creamy, savory, and hearty, with two huge pies included in the portion. The addition of mushrooms to the pie made it just that much better. My dinner partner had the lamb chops, and he scraped the bones clean! They were large chops, perfectly cooked and flavorful. We were also surprised at the size of the large salads and the potatoes that came on the entreé plate. These were no artsy portions! For dessert, I had the special: a whipped chevre and amaretto cremé mousse concoction that was just dreamy and creamy and wonderful. He had the cremé bruleé.

We had done our research beforehand, so we expected to enjoy the best food for miles and miles around, but, even so, we were surprised at just how delicious and well presented everything was. Server Mia was delightful and knowledgeable. Such a treat!

• Visited April 2014