“Eclectic fine dining - at a price”
Review of Larrupin Cafe

Larrupin Cafe
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Trinidad
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Berkeley, California
“Eclectic fine dining - at a price”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Menu was a nice break from the proliferation of chowder and fried fish places that are the majority of dining choices nearby. My wife had a very nice grilled filet mignon and I chose sea bass with Asian spices (and a too-assertive wasabi sauce on the side). The CA-dominated wine list includes several selections by the glass and we were able to match our different meals. Dinners come with a small appetizer board that included some interesting bites: a delicate house-cured gravlax stood out, as did the dill-mustard dipping sauce for some apple slices. Dessert was a house special, a chèvre and whipped cream pan a cotta sort of thing with raspberry and chocolate sauces - light and delicious. The restaurant was warm and inviting, with lots of holiday decorations - a very pleasant - if rather expensive - meal.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank sundogg99

Sacramento, California
“Everything was amazing”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our dinner meal on New Years Eve was one of the best in memory. The service was topnotch and the interior is elegant and cozy. Until the sun set we had a view of the pretty garden. We went for the food and it lived up to its reputation: YUM! My friend started with the barbequed oysters: excellent. I have been eating the Larrupin's red sauce (bbq) for over 20 years and it has been almost that long since I dined in the restaurant. Why did I wait so long?
The wine list is comprehensive and you can buy anything by the glass or bottle. Entrees are priced between $25-38 and is a good value because it includes the appetizer board, salad and a choice of potato or vegetable. We varied our orders so we could taste more but we all ordered the twice-baked potato--old school and so delicious. I am not sure if they still sell their salad sauce; they should. It is amazing.
I ordered the lamb chops, H. ordered the chicken in phyllo, and B. ordered the prime rib special. The prime rib was truly amazing. I loved my lamb chops and the chicken in phyllo was excellent.
We didn't have room for dessert but our friend Jodie is the dessert chef so I had to try one. We all ordered coffee (it was a long time until midnight) and it was excellent. So many times restaurants do not get the coffee right. This Trinidad institution still delivers consistently excellence after all of these years. The triple layer chocolate cake with amaretto creme filling and caramel topping was out of this world. H and I said we'd only take a few bites and then it was almost gone!
I am not waiting 20 years before I eat at Larrupin's again!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Julie S
Houston, Texas
“A gem”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

After a week of hiking, site-seeing and eating fair cuisine this was a gem in a dense forest! Scouting on tripadvisor was this awesome discovery and decided we must eat here before we head back for Houston. Such a nice charming cozy place and the second I was ushered to my table, the sun was just setting out the window in perfect view of our table. Our service was perfect and she helped us make the perfect wine selection. I ordered the stuffed mushroom with bellpepper and it came topped with fresh sauted kale~simply scrumptious for a vegetarian like me! Beautiful presentation. My husband had the prime rib and said it was mouth watering! Portions were generous so we skipped desert, but enjoyed out bottle of wine. Music was so beautiful and atmosphere lovely. It was simply a gem after a long week of roughing. So appreciated the fresh vegetables!

• Visited December 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Late reservations”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for seven o'clock reservations and although we had to wait in the passageway for ten minutes to be seated, they made amends with a complimentary glass of wine. As always, the food and service were great, and the music was a perfect backdrop without being intrusive.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Jrryo
San Francisco, California
“Great food, Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

For a special meal this is the place. The food was great, presentation & atmosphere were excellent. The appetizer board is a real taste treat. Service was friendly with no rush. Altogether a terrific place for a special night out - or just go for the deserts!

• Visited November 2013