“A Rare Romantic Retreat”
Review of Clenaghans - CLOSED

Clenaghans
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Moira, United Kingdom
“A Rare Romantic Retreat”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Hard to find a good wee romantic restaurant these days! This place is a gem

its ideal for a special occasion, and has became our "go to" for birthdays/anniversaries etc

The only thing I would say is it doesnt serve food to later on in evening....it doesnt open until 6pm
and we didn't have our dinner to 7 or after. It was a shame as we were very hungry. If you eat eailer then have a light bite before you go!

That aside the food was of very high standard, and well cooked, was pipping hot

Lovely find, go and enjoy this gem !

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric, romantic and quaint!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Many friends had spoken of and recommended Clenaghans to me, often and in glowing terms! I decided to take my wife there in August 2013 to celebrate (belatedly) our wedding anniversary, and I must admit that I was pleased that I had done so!

External first impressions are not overwhelming, but once inside you enter a long-ago world of quaintness! The reception area was dominated by an open fire, candle lights and an olde-world charm which is unparalleled elsewhere. The pre-dinner service was wonderful and the chance to peruse the menu and pre-order in this intimate setting was fabulous. The wine list and menu were excellent and had a lot to entice and amuse! We decided to order 2 glasses of red wine while we decided what food to order and were really surprised and pleased when the maître de suggested a half bottle which would work out less expensive and give us more wine! Commendations to the maître de!

We finally decided on the goats cheese and the liver parfait for starters and the Sea Bass and the wild Boar for mains. These were excellent choices, wonderfully presented and marvellously enjoyable! The sweets were also good, although the Irish and Continental cheeses were rather sparse on the plate.

However, I have two issues, which I raised on the restaurant's Facebook page and which the management didn't respond to, so I will raise them again. A little more light while dinning would be appreciated and the serving staff had a poor knowledge of what drinks to enjoy with cheese! I requested a glass of tawny port and was eventuality informed that they only had Sandeman's! A little more training is needed!

Otherwise, and excellent night, and I would be happy to eat there again.

• Visited August 2013
“Fabulous”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

First class food and accommodation. Reasonable cost and good service. Guest apartments very comfortable if a bit noisy in the morning. Not easy to find but worth it; nooks and crannies, stone and wood decor, big fires, well thought out wine list and an imaginative menu. I was very late (after 10) and after my friends had eaten, but it wasn't a problem for them and they cooked me a steak which was as good as I have ever had when I was ready for it. Appreciated.
Food left in the fridge for cooking your own breakfast and wine and beer chilled for us was a nice surprise. We'll be back-soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Quality of Food - Excellant”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have been going to Clenaghan's quite regularly over the years, it has always been a local favourite for our family. In terms of food quality it has been up and down in the past 2 years. Last night I have to say my husband and I had a fabulous meal, we could not fault the food at all. There are some niggly points which I would love to see changed. 1) My husband and a couple of people at next table were really annoyed to learn that there is no longer draught beer 2)In the past you would have got a bread basket before your meal with the most delicious butter imaginable, last night we had to order bread as a starter and were given individually wrapped butters which were so hard we had to put on radiator to try to soften 3) Toilets - in past there were individual hand towels at the sink, last night I had to unwrap a hand soap in order to wash my hands and switch the hand dryer on myself, I am not sure how the previous customers had washed their hands. As I say they are niggly points but they really would have made a good meal - great!

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Like stepping back in time”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We decided to spend our New Years Eve at Clenaghans and are so happy we did.

Upon arrival we felt like we stepped into another world! Stone floors, open fires, wooden furniture and the only light was from candles! I was amazed and felt so at home.

We were shown to a table and given menus and had our drinks order taken. We were more than content to sip our drinks beside the open fire with the candles providing a perfect atmosphere.

We were then shown to our table for our meal and the theme of the pub area flowed through. The tables were wonderfully set, with another open fire and again all candle lit! The Christmas decorations added to this wonderful homely feeling.

Our meal was brilliant. I cannot fault a single thing. The staff were so friendly, efficient and so welcoming. The menu was lovely! Not simple pub grub but not too fancy for this charming restaurant. Absolutely brilliant. Presentation of the food was excellent. And all with this "olden days" feel.

We welcomed the New Year back in the pub and though it was very quiet we had a fantastic evening just relaxing in our surroundings.

We have already recommended this restaurant to everyone we know and can't praise it highly enough. We will be back very soon!