“nothing to get excited about”

Trabuco Oaks Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Trabuco Oaks Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Powder Springs, GA
“nothing to get excited about”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

well it was a very interesting atmosphere. Neck ties hanging everywhere. Sort of a fun atmosphere..but it seemed like it should be more of a burger joint than a restaurant that served wine. Menu just didn't match the decor if you know what I mean. The people who worked there were extremely friendly and attentive. I had steak and lobster. The steak was very good and cooked just right. The lobster tail was big but just didn't seem to have much flavor. I don't think I would go back for dinner but might give it a try for lunch.

• Visited May 2013

“A TREE GROWS HERE. . .”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Right next to your table trees are growing. This place is all about the atmosphere. Unique to the period of its setting, rustic, dark and woodsy. Excellent steaks. Walls covered with old cut off neck ties and business cards. Many famous people patronized this quaint out if the way spot. TWO recommendations: don't bother to wash your car first, its dirt roads leading here and stop at the corner General Store for a nostalgic trip back in time.

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great location. Dive atmosphere. Astounding food. Go here.”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I’ll just get this out of the way from the start. I love this place. I should preface my review with a couple of guilty confessions: I am not usually a steak eater, and I am an unfortunate food snob (my boyfriend has an old New Yorker cartoon on his refrigerator of a woman and a man in a fine dining establishment and the woman has called the waiter back to the table, saying “Excuse me---I think there’s something wrong with this in a tiny way that no one other than me would ever be able to pinpoint.”)

Last weekend I was down to visit in Trabuco Canyon, and I was intrigued when he told me that earlier in the year his company’s Italian customers were in town and they insisted on eating every single meal at this place. They must have thought it American heaven. Great location in a country setting, located down the winding canyon road in O’Neill Park. Definite roadhouse atmosphere. I loved that there were a couple of high school guys acting as valets, so enthusiastic they were like a couple of puppies. When we walked in (Sunday evening) without reservations, we were told it would be a few minutes for a table. That is typically code for a half-hour. Here, we didn’t even sit down to wait before we were led to a nice little booth. If you are going for upscale, don’t go here. It is old-fashioned, almost Midwest in its décor, with plastic, red-checkered table covers. Oh, and the lore is that if you wear a tie here that they will cut it off….and indeed the walls are covered with ties.

Our waiter was perfect, very friendly and attentive but unintrusive. You can get a great premium martini here, no problem. A brief but decent list of wines by the glass or bottle. The menu is small; steak, ribs, chicken, maybe a couple of salads. My boyfriend ordered the Porterhouse; with a couple of martinis under my belt, I decide to throw caution to the wind and order the steak and crab special. Steak and crab usually means a few puny snow crab clusters and a chewy steak. This, however, was a very generous portion of Alaska King Crab legs and a gorgeous, perfectly rare, well-aged, melt-in-your-mouth filet mignon. Good God.

Both hailing from Seattle, we were comparing notes with the menus of some of the “big boys”, like the Metropolitan Grill and John Howie Steakhouse. Each of our plates would have easily been in the $65-$80 range, al a carte.

Go here and enjoy yourself. You won’t regret it.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Sharlene B
Trabuco Canyon, California
“Charmer in the woods”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The steaks and wines are fabulous. I love the drive down to the steak house, it is in the middle of the woods and the woods are in the middle of the restaurant! (literally)

Visited September 2012
Mission Viejo, CA
“Fun and Good Times”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The evening started with a wonderful and beautiful drive through O'Neil Park bringing us to the locally famous Trabucco Oaks Steak House. It's very unassuming exterior predicted nothing of the charm and fun of the interior. Inside, you will find that the building has been built around native trees with many trees actually being inside the restaurant. The service and food were excellent. I could want for nothing more other than to go again soon!!!

• Visited August 2012