“My most current stay”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
Antelope Acres
“My most current stay”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is about my 5th stay here in the last couple years! I always ask for 2 things, an early check in and a room nearer the front of the property ( tried to explain to the staff that while staying there by myself I would feel safer up front) there is NEVER a room available toward the front. Since I always arrive early seems there should be some allowance and I always make my reservation way in advance! I arrived around 1230pm and my room was not ready(supposedly no one had checked out yet even tho the parking lot was totally empty) so I came back at 300pm and explained what I would like, a room close to the front! She said they can't do that, but could give me a room with a balcony but its in the very rear of the hotel! What do I want with a balcony? So she came up with a room on the 2nd floor that was still toward the back! This was the manager and she spoke to me in a very condescending tone and was. trying hard not to roll her eyes! The room was nice and comfy as usual but I feel like a returning customer deserves to be treated with a little courtesy and respect! Even tho I like HOJO and I told the manager this, I doubt I will be back there! She really didn't care at all that she may lose a customer! (Due to a lack of good customer service)

• Stayed July 2013
HojoTorrance, General Manager at Howard Johnson Torrance, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Brteyes1:

I was the manager you spoke during your check-in. I'm saddened to see you skewed the angle of the situation, but I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

You requested an early check-in, but like in many hotels, early check-ins are not guaranteed. Though we can never fully guarantee an early check-in, when we are able, we are more than happy to do so! I am glad we were eventually able to get you in and make the wait worth it!

As with the early check-ins, to guarantee a room at a certain location of the hotel is not always possible, even with the bookings made in advance. This is also like in many hotels. I was happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our biggest suites with a balcony, which you refused. Though I can certainly understand your overall unhappiness with the situation, our staff have always been trying to go above and beyond to accommodate our guest requests. When early check-ins are not possible to honor, we are happy to have our guests wait on the comfortable couches of our lobby and use the business center, while waiting for their room to get ready.

We hope you and your family have a safe and happy trip in all your future travels.

Inessa Udovchenko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 5, 2013

fine ok not great but fine for the money I would stay there again that is all I have to say good bye

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

HojoTorrance, General Manager at Howard Johnson Torrance, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Barbara R:

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! I'm glad you found your overall stay enjoyable. Here, at Howard Johnson, we strive to be your "home away from home," with our personalized service, clean rooms, free parking and breakfast. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again very soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend with my girlfriend.Very conveniently located close to the beach.Upon arrival the receptionist was very friendly and showed good customer service.The room was nice and clean.The shower and bath were excellent, good breakfast and really convenient parking.Great service and charming staff!
We obsolutely enjoyed our stay and will definitely come back here again .The best place to stay in Torrance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bryan287:

Thank you so much for such a detailed and wonderful review about your stay! We know that you have many choices when it comes to hotels, and we are thrilled to know you chose Howard Johnson. Our location, clean rooms and great staff are the three biggest highlights of our hotel that make us so special. I'm delighted to know that our dedicated team were able to "wow" you on your first stay at Howard Johnson. Thank you for giving us the pleasure to serve you, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed two nights on 21 July 2013. First night 10-20 youths, some booked in partied until 5.30 in the morning between rooms and in the corridors. This was despite two complaints to management.
Had to step around mess left in the corridor till late afternoon.
While the place was acceptable in relation to cleanleness and breakfast would not recommend on our experience
It is handy to mall and only few miles to the beach

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob l
Dear rob l:

Thank you for taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I'm truly sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy your stay due to the noise from other guests. Please be assured that we read each and every review, as they give us opportunities to learn and improve our service. Please know your review is greatly appreciated.

Though we are not the newest hotel in the area, we can always rely on our wonderful service. It is extremely unusual for our guests to experience anything but restful and quiet stay, and it appears that we missed our opportunity to do that during your stay. We hope you will give us another chance to provide you with the service you deserve.

Thank you again for posting your review, and we hope your future travels are safe and enjoyable.

Inessa Udovchenko

Travelers are raving about these Torrance hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The staff was friendly as usual. The room was cleaned everyday. The only thing was the breakfast
room which was not as clean as it was the last time I had been there.The hotel is quiet and the parking lot is large.

Room Tip: the rooms at the back are quieter.