“You can sleep here but only if you are healthy.”

Howard Johnson Torrance
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
oregon
“You can sleep here but only if you are healthy.”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have a compromised immune system due to medical issues. Probably should have chosen a cleaner place.
Positives: Lobby and parking were OK. Close to Redondo Beach. There were beds and a shower in the room. Breakfast was included.
Negatives: Breakfast was included. It was dirty. The halls had fungus on the carpet and buckets of sand under the A/C units. The interior walls had mold from the floor up to about 3' off of the floor. The furniture had stains on it. The rooms had tons of outdoor noise. Not sure if it was the airport or the notorious parties our check-in clerk told me are often hosted in the back room areas where she placed our family.
Breakfast, the 80's called and want their dry pastries back. My husband was lucky since someone in front of him took all of these nasty treats and left him with none. There was sugary cereal, toast, bagels (?) and do it yourself waffles. I chose the non- sugar drink of grapefruit juice and was surprised to find it tasted like grapefruit flavored Koolaid only with twice the recommended sweetness.
What else can I say. It was late, we slept here on our way to LAX but didn't sleep here on our return.

Room Tip: Find a different place to stay if possible.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HojoTorrance, General Manager at Howard Johnson Torrance, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear nkwins:

Thank you for your review about your stay at Howard Johnson. We always hope every guest has a unique and memorable experience, and I apologize for not meeting your expectations. Although we are not the newest hotel in the area, all departments - from housekeeping, maintenance to breakfast attendant and front desk staff - work extremally hard day and night to deliver a top-notch service.
I appreciate the opportunity to address some of your concerns regarding the continental breakfast, particularly your comments about the pastries being "dry" and "nasty." I would like to reassure you that with a high volume of people we serve each day, the food and beverage items are always fresh, including a variety of cereals (both sugar-free and with sugar), bagels (plain and flavored), muffins, waffles, fruits, oatmeal, and much more. Many guests have positively commented on the type of breakfast we serve, and I'm truly sorry to hear that it was not to your liking.
We greatly appreciate your feedback and hope your future travels are more enjoyable.

Inessa Udovchenko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I would have to say this place needs a major remodel. The price is way too high when there are other nicer hotels in the area that are lower priced. The check in was not at all good. I was checked into a room that was all torn up and not ready. Went to desk and got new room on second floor wanted third but no room on third clean. The room needed painted and new floor coverings. The furniture was all torn up and not taken care of. The Wifi did not work at all in my room. I was told that the Wifi works better closer to the office and could move the next day. I checked out after only 1 night here.
The management needs to take major steps to improve this property or they will not get decent people to stay there. Lastly, I am just shocked that this is a Wyndham property...

Room Tip: I would choose another hotel down the road until the ownership takes steps to improve this property.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bernard208
HojoTorrance, General Manager at Howard Johnson Torrance, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Bernard208:

Thank you for taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I'm truly sorry to hear that the hotel was not to your liking. Please be assured that we read each and every review, as they give us opportunities to learn and improve our service. Please know your review is greatly appreciated.

Though we are not the newest hotel in the area, we can always rely on our wonderful service. It is extremally unusual for our guests to experience anything but smooth and efficient check-in, and it appears that we missed our opportunity to do that during your stay. We hope you will give us another chance to provide you with the service you deserve.

Thank you again for posting your review, and we hope your future travels are safe and enjoyable.

Inessa Udovchenko

Travelers are raving about these Torrance hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrance
Best Western Plus Avita Suites
Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach
Redondo Inn and Suites
Redondo Inn and Suites
#9 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Howard Johnson Torrance? Share your experiences!