“Sub par performance for a Courtyard”

Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/South Bay
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
Indiana
“Sub par performance for a Courtyard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

The staff were excellent and the lobby is very nicely updated.
The rooms however need some attention. Rusty tub bottom, somewhat confusing light switch arrangement, Bathroom door interferes with closet doors.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the courtyard side for pool view, if you are on ground floor in outside room you ha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Ok hotel but be careful when you use your bank card they held two different charges on my debit card on two different days for a one nights stay and no one could tell me why and didn't even offer compensation for the inconviences.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwalk, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I will start with the bad part:
fire alarm was pulled by some idiot around 11pm and although the fire dept came and gave them the ok, the alarm would not shut off. We had to sit outside on our balcony for over an hour until it was fixed.
DO NOt stay during OctoberFest. Several drunk fools were fighting when we arrived....
The Great Part:
Very nice, contemporary hotel. Great lobby and cafe. Staff was pleasant. No noise issues but we had a room that faced the courtyard and not the pool. Room was very nice, clean. Towels were only ok. Bed was great. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sheg
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here for a few days in September . The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. The neighborhood seemed good, and the location was close enough to a supermarket and various places to eat, so that was very convenient. It's also right off of the 405, which was excellent. I didn't have any noise issues at all. The restaurant in the lobby was adequate, although somewhat over-priced so I only ate there once. Check in was quick and pleasant. At checkout I received an extra charge however. I was able to speak to someone who was able to get rid of the charge, but that would be my only gripe. Other than that, the stay was pleasant, and it was a decent value for the money. I'd stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NicoleW726
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here in September of 2012 for 2 nights. In the past, I've generally thought of Courtyards by Marriott as kind of a tired concept with mediocre reputation for cleanliness, features, service, etc.

This Courtyard entirely changed my perception. Whoever manages this hotel has clearly prioritized cleanliness, neatness, service, and amenities. The location itself is situated smack in the middle of corporate office parks and major highways, so while it is not exactly scenic, it is quite convenient. Once you are in the hotel, however, the simple, clean, modern, and warm interior is entirely built around ease and convenience. Features that caught my attention:

1) Good quality pillows and beds - really impressive for a moderately priced hotel. I hope for future travelers' sake the firmness of the bed and pillows is not simply because they are relatively new (i.e. I hope management maintains them well going forward).
2) Clean everywhere - not just in the rooms and hallways, whoever runs this hotel seems to be obsessive about keeping everything clean and trimmed - the corners on the grass, the plant beds, even the employee areas near where the laundry gets delivered. You don't find a lot of trash, mess, and disorganization anywhere, surprisingly.
3) Free Wi-fi - while other hotels are busy making a straight killing on $10+ per day wi-fi charges per guest per device, this hotel makes standard broadband free. It is kind of amazing that this still exists given the reasonable room rates here.
4) Pool + Hot Tub - again, everything is clean, cleaner than one might expect for this kind of hotel. I only saw a few leaves at the bottom of the pool which is pretty rare.
5) Food and coffee bar - again, a very thoughtful touch catering to busy business travelers and families. Prices are not great (a little high), but to have this kind of amenity in-house (particularly in the middle of a desolate office park) is very nice.
6) Free printing from in-lobby public computers - the public computers and printers are well maintained, which is really surprising when you see most hotels (even the extremely high end 5 star ones) still have a circa-2002 Pentium computer hooked up to a non-LCD monitor. There's ample paper in the printers and they let you print your boarding passes for free.

For the rate I paid to stay over a weekend, I'm still somewhat floored by what this hotel had to offer. It's almost as if Marriott corporate executives were staying the same weekend and the hotel became the "model Courtyard" to show off. I hope that's not the case, as this hotel greatly impressed me and I would definitely stay here again. Again, scenery around the hotel is not great, but it almost doesn't matter considering the reasonable rate I paid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DrewInThrill
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Average courtyard..Very nice restaurant serving breakfast and dinner,great front desk staff..I stayed here a total of 5 days during a 2 week trip in 2 different rooms.The first stay my room was on the 3rd floor and everything was great.On the 2nd stay my room was on the 2nd floor.The people on the 3rd floor made so much noise my bed was shaking. i had to complain to the front desk but neither one of my phone's in the room worked.So i had to get up,get dressed and walk all the way to the front desk.Then it seemed like they were noisy on purpose for at least another half hour..Bad night sleep and no phone service for $175 a night.If you stay here ask for the 3rd floor.I also did my laundry there.The soap is incl. in the price but when i didn't see any suds i checked the canister and it was empty.So i had to do it twice..

Room Tip: Top floor is the best choice
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Overall, our stay was very good, however, my sleep was not. We found the bed to be a lot more firm than we like. Let me clarify by stating that my bed is memory foam and very comfortable. After our first night of tossing and turning, my wife asked the front desk if they had pillow tops, which they do not, but they offered to do what they could, which they did. The problem was not completely resolved, but they did the best they could.

• Stayed August 2012
SouthBayCY, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/South Bay, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
The staff of the Courtyard South Bay would like to thank you for staying with us.
I am sorry to hear that our mattresses were to firm but happy to read that our staff did everything they could to rectify your concern.

Thank you for the great review and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Christian Paulsen