“A good value...”

Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/Palos Verdes
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here for a short trip to LA (only one night). I always stay at Marriott because their Rewards Program is awesome. I'm a Platinum member and they treat you right. This hotel is pretty standard, not amazing and certainly not lame. As with all Courtyards, breakfast is not included but it's still nice. Most importantly, it was super clean and neat. The bed was comfortable as always so that make for a nice stay. Free internet would be nice but I wasn't there long enough to use it.

I recommend this hotel and would stay here again...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
CYTORRANCE, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/Palos Verdes, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

My name is David Zimmerman and I am the General Manager here at the Torrance Palos Verdes Courtyard. It makes me very proud that you had such a wonderful stay with us and I would like to sincerely thank you for filling out this review.

Marriott prides itself with being a leader in providing the best guest service possible and something we here at the Torrance Palos Verdes Courtyard strive for every day. We appreciate that there are other options when you travel but as a Platinum Reward member choose Marriott time and time again because of our hospitality and consistency. We hope that you decide to stay with us again during your next trip to Los Angeles. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Torrance is known to be a city with lots of Japanese restaurants. There are many sushi bars in the area. We arrived the hotel late night, and saw three gas stations and small plazas along the way.

The hotel restaurant closes at 10 pm. We had quesadilla and sandwiches there. The quality of the food was good. The next day, we had breakfast there. The portion was big and the food was good, too.

The room was clean and tidy. The stay was quiet. There was a small fridge in the room. The room also came with Starbucks coffee and a coffee machine. The bed was comfortable. Wifi was pretty fast. Somehow phone reception was not v good in the room. We were unable to load emails with the phone.

Overall, it was a very nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
CYTORRANCE, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/Palos Verdes, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you were able to enjoy a variety of restaurants as our cuisine here in Torrance is very diverse. Our Bistro stays open late to accomodate all of our guest so I'm glad that you were to enjoy dinner as well as breakfast. I'm sorry that you had difficulty using the email on your phone, however, we do have a business center that is open 24 hours where our guests can easily access their email, internet and print. I hope the next time you visit Torrance, you'll remember your wonderful stay and come back to see us.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I like Marriott. Even though the hotels are standardized and on the brink of boring you know what you get for your money. Courtyard in Torrance is no exception. Friendly staff and clean. The cost cutting has gone a bit far though - it was very short on amenities (shampoo etc) and this charging of broadband wireless...give me a break..it's 2013 and internet should be treated as running water - nothing to charge extra for.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

We returned for our grandsons birthday and baptism. It has not changed at all. Still an excellent value. Good that we had reservations, since it was quite full. Service very good. We needed a last minute room for our older son, but they squeezed him in. Good breakfasts. I recommend the oatmeal. Liitle cool during our stay this time, but we checked out the nice pool. Others were using it, not us.
An excellent value for most travelers, close to all sorts of shops.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Generally, we love this Courtyard having spent many nights here through the years. We recognized the facility was getting a bit seeded but we didn't complain because of the other benefits. Now things have changes, some plusses and some negatives. You can judge what impacts you the most. Pluses - good location for us, recent renovations are nice, nice staff always available, appropriately organized for business and leisure and technology helpful for getting boarding passes. Negative - No longer free Starbucks Coffee in the lobby for guests but instead you can buy it at the "restaurant," they have removed the whirlpool near the pool for some unknown reasons the staff could not even figure out, but, worst of all, was the quality of the wireless signal. For the first 4 days we stayed, the wireless signal would remain on for about 5 minutes, if you could get it at all, then stopped. When we mentioned it daily to the various staff, some told us that they would call the engineer immediately and would get back to us with the conditions. (of course, that never happened.) One staff member even said, "it had not worked properly for 5-6 months." So I stopped believing and went out and purchased a $100 hotspot for our use. Near the end of our stay I believed it started to work better but with the wireless world today, getting a room and not having wireless available is like not having a mattress. Given that I have enjoyed this facility often and am a dedicated Marriott customer, I regret that management fails to resolve this simple wireless problem and, in addition, takes away guest facilities that I alway found well used and appreciated. For you non-Marriott fans, I can assure you that Marriott is generally better than this and I am hopeful that they will improve this facility.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CarpeDiem45
CYTORRANCE, Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/Palos Verdes, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear CarpeDiem45 my name is Peter and I am the Operations Manager at the Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes. I would like to apologize for the complications and inconveniences that arose during your recent stay with us. At Courtyard we strive to keep you as productive as possible while traveling away from home, and I can definitely understand how inconvenient the wireless connection issues that you experienced must have been during your trip. We have been working with our internet provider to come up with a solution to resolve the issue, and it seems to have been corrected. Regarding the complimentary coffee that Courtyard provided in the lobby, we are now proud to announce that we have a full Star Bucks Coffee at the hotel and will be more than happy to make any of your favorite coffee or Tea beverages. Our Jacuzzi was removed a few months ago to allow us to use the space for meeting/wedding events, our swimming pool is heated and very clean and peaceful and we have made an arrangement with the Marriott Torrance to be able to utilize their spa for our guests. I apologize that you were given different information from our associates and I will personally make sure they all are aware of the reason why we change certain aspects of the hotel. I would love to speak to you more regarding your recent stay with us, and if you have a chance to call the hotel directly or email me at: cy.laxto.operations.mgr@marriott.com
I look forward to hearing from you, and hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was bringing my tired family to this hotel based on the reviews on this website...my kids had a gym meet early the next morning, and thought it would be nice to be nearby.

My tired family picked up the room key, and went to our room at 11 PM.

We opened the door with the key card, and first I noticed the strong 'everything smells like cigarettes small'. We then noticed that the TV was on. That was strange. We walk a few feet further, and low and behold, there is a young woman in bed sleeping! Luckily we didn't wake her; I'd hate to have her start screaming in terror in the middle of the night. We left quickly, and probably didn't wake her...we weren't waiting for find out. We went downstairs, and asked for a second room...this time, no sleeping strangers, although it too had a strong disgusting smoky smell. Sink was a bit dirty. But rest was OK...

The Starbucks-like coffee place in the lobby was nice and quick. But I cannot believe that they don't have any controls to prevent this type of thing from happening? What a low class problem to have. I wouldn't expect it at the value hotels, and we spent more here assuming it would be a bit classier...we were wrong.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Alan505
CYTORRANCE, Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/Palos Verdes, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Alan505,

My name is Peter and I am the Operations Manager at the Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes. I really appreciate you choosing to stay with us and would like to apologize for the inconvenience and confusion that was caused during your arrival to our hotel.

As you know we at Marriott strive to provide service that is unmatched, what happened during your stay at our hotel is not a normal occurrence and I would like to apologize to you and your family for having to experience such an uncomfortable situation. We have many controls in place that prevent this type of situation from occurring, and I personally will be reviewing them to insure that they are being practiced correctly. Our hotel has recently finished a total remodel, and I would like to invite you to stay with us again.

If you would be so kind as to call me at the hotel at your convenience, and we can discuss the issue further I would greatly appreciate any feedback that you can provide. Again Mr. Alan505 We do appreciate you staying with Marriott and would love to see you back at our hotel.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have been staying at this particular Marriott Courtyard nearly every Wednesday night for the past 5 years when I am in the area on business. The staff is excellent, the rooms comfortable, the location quiet and convenient. The rates are excellent.

Room Tip: Cell phone coverage is best in the rooms on the east side, poor in the west wing rooms.