“Best Italian in the South Bay”

Gaetano's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaetano's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 552 Restaurants in Torrance
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Crenshaw Blvd.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have been to Gaetanos at least 20 to 30 times in the past two years.
It has the best quality and tasting Italian food, as well as very considerate service,
in all of Los Angeles. Reservations are a must on weekends.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Wrote a glowing review in the past, however things have changed. We used to go to Gaetano's at least once a week when the dinner rolls were great and proportions of food excellent. The family who owns it was usually there (and they are lovely people) and the waitresses and waiters made you feel welcome. Proportions became smaller, they stopped serving our favorite dishes- even spoke to Vince about it and he said they evolve the menu and try out new things to stay current and authentic, and the rolls were horrible. What about keeping items on the menu that dedicated customers (like for the past 14 years) liked? Recently I went back with my son. I recognized one waiter, no family members present. Feeling is cold, not family friendly. If you are older, like wine and fancy food, try it. Thats why I rated it average. If you have kids or a limited palate, try the California Pizza Kitchen across the street. It is also cheaper. It is a shame that such a great place and family owned business should have turned my family off. Maybe the family should get back to the kitchen!

1  Thank Californiafamilypv
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I discovered Gaetano's Restaurant through a friend. This is a very impressive family owned restaurant. They have great atmosphere and the food is just wonderful. I just love the restaurant; the food is the best around and so is their service. They are very caring and want you to have a wonderful meal. I have been to this restaurant several times and I highly recommend it. It is a little expensive; however, this restaurant is worth every penny you spend.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

My friends and I go there every month for either lunch or dinner because the service is great as is the atmosphere. The food is absolutely wonderful and the bread they serve is to die for! They serve cold water from a wine bottle that is left on the table, which I like as I drink lots of water.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Ordered to-go. The Osso Bucco states on their menu that it comes with "creamy polenta" which is why I ordered it. Also requested rolls (which they serve in the restaurant) instead of the sliced baguette which doesn't travel well, becoming tough and rubbery before it gets home. (btw, a quick way to evaluate a restaurant is when the bread gets worse, the food and service are sure to quickly follow).

When we arrived and checked the order (which we've learned to do every time we do to-go no matter the place) we asked about the rolls and they said yes they'd included rolls, not the sliced baguette. The polenta was baked (tough thin dried-out rubbery squares), not creamy. They insisted they had changed the menu two weeks ago (but it's not what the menu they gave us states) to be baked polenta. We talked for a while and they said it'd take another 20 min to make creamy polenta, so we waited. 20 minutes later, we picked up the order with "creamy" polenta and headed home. When we got home and checked again, the bread was sliced baguette, not rolls!!! And the creamy polenta was not creamy, it was polenta paste -- probably the polenta mixture they flatten into a sheet and bake. Terrible. The Osso Bucco was ok, but mostly bone and fat -- not worth the price. We called to complain and the phone was quickly passed to the "complaints manager" -- a former Gaetano's wait-person promoted to a position where her bad attitude is considered an asset.

To summarize, we've been going to Gaetano's for 30 years now, and have experience their slide downhill in the last few years in terms of quality and service. There have been occasional bright spots along the way which encouraged us to give them another try, but this last time IS the last time.

1  Thank Bob T

Been to Gaetano's Restaurant? Share your experiences!