“An Aloha Vibe in Torrance”

Kings Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 13 Dessert in Torrance
Cuisines: American, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Gainesville, FL
“An Aloha Vibe in Torrance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

I’ve lost count of the number of times that my husband and I have eaten at Kings, often with family. It was a favorite when we lived in LA, and we go back at least once on every trip back to the South Bay area.

The restaurant is nothing fancy, but is the epitome of a great family restaurant with great food SoCal Hawaiian style. We’ve eaten both breakfast and lunch here many, many times, and every family celebration for many years included at least one of their wonderful Paradise cakes – light and delicious.

Favorite meals include the Big Island Breakfast (French toast, two eggs, a choice of breakfast meat (linguica and spam are options)), the breakfast burrito, pancakes with coconut syrup, Chinese chicken salad, BBQ chicken salad, and the spam musabi (like spam sushi)/saimen (noodle soup) combination. And I love the Kalua pork nachos – smoky Kalua pork, black beans, and jack cheese, served with guacamole and a pineapple chutney.

Service can be a bit slow (the reason for a 4 rather than a 5 rating), but that does not deter us. I’d recommend both the restaurant and the bakery to anyone; the menu is huge and the bakery offerings extensive (and tempting!). And don’t forget the Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank reptileenthusiast

• Korean first
Sioux Falls
“20131130”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I am not from Hawaii, only been there a few times. I really enjoy eating here, the service has been great, never a wait, (just as any other establishment, choose your time wisely) and fabulous food. Is it authentic? who cares, it is food you don't get anywhere else around here (@cooking_hawaii), I have not found any other restaurant serving Spam, do you?

Los Angeles, California
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I am originally from Hawaii and so homesick for places like Zippy's, King's Bakery, Rainbow Drive Inn, and Liliha Bakery, so when I see the words "Hawaiian" I must try it! Was it as good as the food back home? Well no, but it was better than I expected. After eating at the typical Ono Hawaiian BBQ and L and L Hawaiians, it was nice to eat here. We had the King's Hawaiian Appetizer Platter, Luau Platter, and Macnut Curried Mahi Mahi. Huge portions and all pretty tasty and very close to authentic. We live in El Monte but it was worth the drive. We also took a pineapple crunch cake home that was amazing. We will definitely be back!

• Visited November 2013
Pell City, Alabama
“Surprising”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Nice diner. Only adults were eating there when we came in. Wasn't crowded. Average priced. Had quick services. I had grilled mahi mahi and Kalua Pork (bbq, shredded.) I paid a extra $2 to get the chow mein and coleslaw. Surprise 1: Mahi Mahi had strong fish flavor (most that I have eaten had no taste), Surprise 2: coleslaw had no dressing. Really, it was just shredded cabbage, and Surprise 3: the salsa(?) had bits of fish (that tasted like fish). Chow mein was thick noodles with mixed vegetables (including bell peppers.) I claim it a delicious meal. Family had their all-day breakfasts. Gave their approval for them.
Bakery. Just got a bear claw. Like Wal-Mart's better. Prices range $ - $$.
Available: KH's The Local Place, 18605 S.Western Ave, Torrance 90504

• Visited November 2013
Hawaii
“What Happened?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We went to King's Hawaiian to see how good it would be. I was terribly disappointed. I literally have nothing good to say about this place and It saddens me as I am from Hawaii. The service was extremely slow. Not only did we wait about 30 minutes for our table. We waited another 20 to get our order taken and another 20 for our food. The food was terrible, un-authentic, dried out, over salted. King's Bakery, I hope you read this and contact me...your restaurant needs a huge re-vamp when it comes to quality control, taste, quality of the food. Shame on you for putting out aweful food at a high price.

• Visited October 2013