“Food excellent. Fair price. Ambiance ok.”

LA Capilla Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 537 Restaurants in Torrance
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
“Food excellent. Fair price. Ambiance ok.”
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

La Capilla is a landmark restaurant in Torrance. The food is abundant. We had a flauta plate, 2 taco plate and tornado (fried jalapenos). The chips are ok. But the salsa is spectacular. The flauta and shredded beef tacos are better than average. Only the ambiance takes off a star. Food and service are five star.

1 Thank Brad A

Ojai, California
“Best Mexican Food in South Bay”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Anytime we visit the South Bay we have to eat at LA Capilla. Do not let the nondescript building or the very dark interior fool you. You won't find better Mexican food.

When we lived in Palos Verdes we always went to LA Capilla for Mexican food. After moving we have not been back for about 20 years. Well we finally got back and I was surprised and also delighted that nothing has changed. The non- descriptor building, the very dark interior, the murals, wait staff uniforms and most of all the menu, food and terrific margaritas are all exactly the same. There is something to be said for consistency and La Capilla has consistency.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank CarlOjai
Torrance, California
“Hidden Treasure in Torrance”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

It is family oriented, good, hearty, Mexican food. Great prices. It has been here for ever and a day. You can always count on saying happy birthday to anyone at any table for they comp your food on your birthday (be prepared to show id). Old timer Torrance residents keep it a secret.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank monteuru
Anaheim, CA
“OK Mexican food”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My BF's family loves this place. Its ok. I guess I have a different feeling toward Mexican food, as my ex is Mexican, and I used to get homemade food when I went to his family's house in Compton.

Anyway, this place is like going to El Paso Cantina, SuperMex or Don Jose. Its americanized Mexican. Sure, you'll see latinos eating here, but you'll also see Asians eating at Panda Express. It doesn't make this a bad place.

The salsa is pretty good. Not that spicy but has enough of a kick to keep you satisfied.

Locals seem to like it, and for that I'll give it 3 stars. Its an average Mexican place that's affordable, but definitely not a abuelitas kitchen.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank callmemochelle
Federal Way, Washington
“Free Meal on your birthday”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Every time I go here, there are at least 3 birthdays. I'm pretty sure it says on the menu if you show your ID, you'll get a free meal on your birthday. My only complaint about this place is the volume. It gets pretty loud but I still love it. This place has been around forever and it is one of my go-to places when I am back in town. I was just there last week. Their house vinagrette dressing is THE BEST I have ever had! I always get the Chicken Avacado (tostada) salad. I've tried other things but I absolutely love that salad with the house dressing.The service is fast. They have servers that bring out chips and salsa as soon as you sit down and they are excellent about refilling your drinks. I agree with other reviews that say this place is good, but it's in LA. I know there are so many good places to eat but I've moved away from LA and this is a place in my hometown that I look forward to going to when I am back in town.

• Visited April 2014