“Horrible”

Dining options: Reservations
El Segundo, California
“Horrible”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The website claims its a romantic place with wonderful food.
The food was mediocre, expensive and the service was horrible. Romantic? First thing we noticed was that the windows were so dirty you could hardly see out of them. And if you could see clearly all you would see is the traffic on a busy street. How romantic is that? The lights were low, that could be romantic but that just made it hard to read the menu. The noise level was so high that you had to yell at your date across the table. The whole experience was awful.

Things got even worse when I got the bill. When I got my bill, the waiter had "accidentally" doubled the amount on my credit card voucher. I almost signed without noticing. I understand that this is a common scam pulled by restaurant employees. He assured me that the incorrect amount would not show up on my credit card, but sure enough when I went on line to check it, there were two charges on my card, the "incorrect" one and the correct. So I got charged twice, for a lousy meal, horrible service and a dirty un-romantic place.

At least getting out of there was easy, we left and no one said a word to us. I was hoping someone would say good night, hope everything was good. But no one said a word. Darn, wanted to tell them how much their place sucked!!

• Visited December 2013

California
“Great food, FABULOUS service!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We went here for Mother's Day. We figured there would be a million people and the servers wouldn't have a lot of time. Boy, were were we wrong! Yes, it was busy, but the staff, from the hostesses at the front to the manager who came by to see that everything was to our satisfaction were just great! Our server was friendly and knowledgeable and made excellent suggestions for our meal. Can't wait to go back!

Visited May 2013
Torrance, California
“My wife's favorite place to eat.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The food is amazing, the atmosphere is nice, the staff are always friendly. They have great deals for happy hour and their reverse happy hour, but the regular menu is a bit expensive. If you can afford it the food is always delicious though. We highly recommend the cheddar cheese & beer fondue it's my wife's favorite meal and she'd eat it everyday if we could afford it.

Visited July 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Better go to McDonald's or Subway - you will get better food and will get better service”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

It's clearly the worst restaurant in Torrance, and I wonder if it could figure among the worst in Los Angeles. It's expensive as hell and for the quality of the fondue, better go to Trader Joe's and purchase a fondue mix... it's way better.

My wife and I love fondues, and having tried some I guess we can have an opinion. We were planning on visiting this place, and then we stumbled upon a Groupon offer, so we "couldn't miss out"...

We had a reservation for 7pm. We arrived at 6:50, but had to wait until around 7:20, though the restaurant was empty. I do not tolerate waiting (especially lines) in restaurants so I was already decided to leave, but my wife really wanted to try the fondue so we gave it a chance. Ok, we were put on a comfy booth: the good news start and end here. The ambiance is terrible, it's as noisy as In-N-Out: lots of people yelling (not the workers - some of the other "guests") - not good for a fondue place.

There were a few choices for fondues, and none of them really enticed me. We made our choice, and after a long time, the waiter finally came, and brought us some bread. You can definitely find tastier breads at your local 99c store. There was a variety of 3 or 4 breads, but all of them were hard as nails and tasted like if they were some days old. He also brought some sweets later that looked like leftovers but none of them tasted good either.

Then, the worst part: the fondue. Ok, the waiter prepares it in front of you, so it looks fresh (considering the ingredients are fresh) but when he's done he leaves immediately, almost like fleeing because he knows that what he just left on your table is not even worth a quarter of what you're paying... a meager, maybe about a cup size fondue, cold (the burner takes forever to warm the fondue), essentially a handful of just melted cheese, nothing special, maybe barely enough for a toddler, imagine for a couple. Even my wife couldn't stand it.

After a couple minutes we finished our "dinner" (or snack?) and we were decided to go somewhere else. Then, another eternal wait to get the bill (20 minutes, no less), so I decided to get to the front of the restaurant and pay it, but of course, nobody was there. We had to literally stand in front of the waiters leaving the kitchen to get some attention, and out of a sudden a woman saw us, and then we could finish our stay at the Melting Pot. Sure, no tip for them, actually I think I'm the one that deserved to be paid to waste my time there.

Ok, the first step outside the restaurant was also good news. It was a relief.

There was not even ONE positive aspect in this restaurant. It's expensive, and nothing justifies the price: food, ambiance, service... Thanks to Groupon to at least bringing the bill for a half of what it could have been: $35 (normal price would be $70 for a couple) was still very expensive for what we had. There are plenty of terrific restaurants in Torrance; I wonder how this one is still standing. Maybe because it's the only fondue restaurant around, I guess.

The title of this review is honest. You will eat better at McDonald's or Subway: the food at least tastes fresher, you will be satisfied, everything will be faster, the ambiance is quieter... maybe it wouldn't be just as clean, but nothing is perfect.

• Visited February 2013
Austin, Texas
“WASTE OF MONEY”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

How is this place open? We did the $35/ per person Dine LA deal. Four of us went together. First we were sat at a table with one burner. After thinking for a few minutes I asked why one burner for 4 people. If we are paying for ourselves and we each get a cheese choice that would mean we all four have to agree on the same cheese. So we asked to be moved to a table with two or more burners . We got a booth with two burners. So now each couple had to agree on a flavor.
So even though the price is per person the portions are per couple. Unless everyone wants to share you don't get anything of your own choice.
We chose the Cheddar Cheese and Swiss but were told that the Swiss was really bad and inedible by our waiter. So we did the spinach dip instead of swiss.
When everything came out we got vread and apples but no vegetables. He said bye but I stopped him and asked about the vegtables that were included and he said they were almost out but he would check. He returned after we finished the cheese and said no more vegetables. There was no apology or substitute.
He cleared the chese and brought salads. Very small salads, we got cesars but were thrown off by candies pecans that ruined the flavor of it completely. Sweet cesar salad. Ick!
Next he asked what type of cooking style we wanted. It was our first time here but got no explaination even after asking many questions. The meat comea out raw. Which we had no clue about. He tought you dippes cooked meats in cheese. Nope.
He suggested a Caribbean and a Coq a vin cooking style. Two pots of boiling water came out. We were both surprised when they poured red wine into the broth. Then came a plate of raw meat chicken and seafood. Some steak had sauce, one was plain, the chicken had seasoning and shrimp and fish just plain. Boiled meat chicken and fish all in one pot? Ewwwww. Plus all the sauces and flavors mixed up in broth?
I wouldn't boil steak with fish......
Grosssssss.
No flavor but steak tasted like fish and chicken had a weird texture. We were very disappointed and told thebwaiter to clear everything as it was basically inedible. The broccoli were overcooked and the potatoes were raw.
After deciding we would go somewhere else for dinner they brought desert. Ehhhh. Melted chocolate was ok. Its chocolate you can't really mess it up.
Our reservations were at 7 and we were sat late despite the place being empty. We had at walk the bill to the feont then go looking in the kitchen for someone to pay. Service was terrible just like the food. Save your money and don't waste your time.

• Visited June 2013