“Fun Experience- Super Slow Service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Los Angeles, California
“Fun Experience- Super Slow Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have been wanting to try the melting pot forever so on my bday what better way to celebrate. It was a group of 5 ladies.

A few arrived a bit early so we went to the bar took 15-20 minutes to get acknowledged and offered a drink (we were the only ones sitting at the bar he was serving the other servers).

We had a early Saturday reservation 6:30 so the restaurant it self was not crowded.

Our server did a good job of explaining the experience and menu as we were all first timers. Food was fabulous. Experience was fun.

However the service was so slow. I understand its an experience and there is time between courses however 30 minutes to order more entree is just too long of a wait. Also about 20-30 minute wait when ordering additional cocktails.

I will go back again because it was a fun experience but not impressed with speed of service.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Los Angeles, California
“Novel experience, one time tho”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

This chain of restaurants is different in setting from location to location, and this Torrance setting had the advantage of the front and side private dining rooms that benefited from natural light, so were not as dim as is usual-- a good thing. The highlight-- and what they do consistently best is the starter cheese fondue. We had the classic with white wine and a variety of cheese blend, and a spinach cheese with a touch of garlic. The cheese and a glass of wine would actually be my ideal meal, as the addition of the meats cooked in broth and then the crazy decadent chocolates and dipping cake and confections makes you feel like your companions need to roll you out of the place. But we had the whole shebang and even our companions who at first were unsure about the whole fondue thing were happy. The cooking and dipping and assortment of sauces for the meats were interesting, perhaps not the best pairings ( chicken, beef, shrimp , salmon with sauces such as, blue cheese a teriyaki type and a cocktail sauce, and three others I think that I couldnt really discern.sometimes you would dip the wrong one for a strange combo) . There was a problem with the service in that we had reserved a room for a large party and it was not set up for wine service ( we had let them know we were bringing ournown wine$15 corkage fee...a muchbetter deal that buying it there) Had to ask several times for wine glasses and a corkscrew ( that would be us doing the uncorking), and saw staff actually washing the glasses to give us which is what was twking so long. would have thought that the prep time would have been used to do just that.m The restaurant doesnt open until 4 on the weekends. servers seemed new, and a lot of our questions were met with blank stares and a duck out of the room to ask someone else.

Sacramento, California, United States
“A Feast for the Senses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Although the parking lot is tricky to find, the meander is well worth it. This unique Melting Pot fondue restaurant is situated in a circular building at the site of a former bank. It features lots of semi-private room seatings for groups, with a tasteful dark decor. Our family enjoyed three sets of the classic four course melting pot, with three different cheese and dessert fondues and a sampling of most of their salads. We added on a $24 vegetarian entree (overpriced, but at least it includes a salad), and once we got the hang of letting the food cool on the plates, enjoyed the many sauces, and various dippers. Cupcake Chardonnay is the very palatable house white wine, and the apple caramel martinis are to die for. Most recommended: the chocolate fondue with one of the dessert liqueurs added - yum! Parties over six get an automatic $18 gratuity added, but the service is excellent, and the servers work very hard making the fondues, keeping tabs on the temperatures, bringing extra dippers and the like, so we added even more. The $404 tab for seven of us eating was a pricey, but special treat. If you sign up for their email list prior to dining, you even get a coupon for a box of strawberry chocolates, which of course you can redeem when you show up for your reservation!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Long Beach, California
“Average Food and Expensive at That!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

My daughter was home for Thanksgiving from U.C.San Diego and she said she would like to go to The Melting Pot fondue restaurant in Torrance, CA. I guess some students go to the one in La Jolla in the afternoon when there is some sort of half price offering. I should note that these are franchises and the loyalty card you will be offered at the end of your meal only include two locations- and La Jolla is not one of them. My older daughter said she would like to join us.

The restaurant itself is promoted as "romantic" and I suppose that must account in some measure for the price. It is very dark and low key- not a bad thing, just not necessarily for a father and two-daughter outing.

The menu itself is a bit hard to understand but between the waiter and my daughter I got the gist of how to order. There is a four course "classic" menu for two at $82 a couple. Another "Big Night Out" features three combinations of four courses for $86, $92, and $98. You can find the menu and pricing online.

My daughter said the "a la carte" menu is the way to go, so we did. We got one of the varieties of cheese fondue (priced for 1-2 people at $18, $9 each additional person) for three, three salads (limited choice) at $7 each, and chocolate fondue for dessert (1-2 people at $18, $9 each additional person). So just to get the financial part out of the way, with 20% tip that comes to $89 and change.

My first advice is that unless you REALLY like fondue, save this place for a special romantic event in your life...perhaps a gift certificate for newlyweds, etc.

Secondly, I have eaten my share of good food in my life, both here and abroad. I am in the wine business and from time to time we are treated to meals that run in the hundreds (per person). With 40+ years in the food and wine business (including back of the house in restaurants) I feel compelled to say that the food is not particularly good. Not bad, just not too good nor enough food for the price.

The fondue we chose (traditional Gruyere and Emmentaler), was prepared tableside and was just ordinary. I felt the waiter put in too much nutmeg and I am not sure he wasn't using Kirsch instead of Kirschwasser. There is a big difference. For the three of us we were given about a dozen small slices of apple, about the same amount of vegetables (about the size of your little finger down to the first joint), and maybe two dozen one inch cubes of different breads for dipping.

The salad was about half the size of what I am used to for the price with an almost undistinguishable Caesar dressing. I also felt that the honey or sugar glazed pine nuts were an oddity in a Caesar salad. Interesting, but slightly out of place I felt.

So who pays for dessert the same price as their entrée? Yet it remains the most interesting course of the three. "Cookies and Cream" chocolate fondue served with about two dozen marshmallows, strawberry slices, cheesecake squares and several other sweets. The sweets were long gone before the fondue and at the gentle eye-fluttering of my older daughter, the waiter brought out some additional sliced strawberry pieces. I came home and had a little snack to fill myself up. The service was fine.

If you enjoy fondue you know that your choices are limited, although the most difficult of preparing any fondue at home is having the correct cookware and tableware. Cleaning up runs a close second in my book.

My opinion is that the restaurant is expensive for what you get UNLESS it is for a romantic occasion and the ambiance (or company) outshines the food. Otherwise I suggest you find another local restaurant, have what you enjoy, and come here for dessert. I don't think you will be disappointed in the dessert and you will cap the evening with the same ambiance.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Santa Ynez, California
“Fun way to dine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We've haven't been to a fondue restaurant in decades. This place was amazing. Built in cooktops in the table for the fondue pots, attentive service and very good selections. We ordered way more than we could eat so next time we will be more carefull. Just cheese, salad and dessert would be enough for us. Atmosphere was very nice. Just be aware it it on the pricey side.

• Visited September 2012