WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“The most horrible extended stay hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Torrance Blvd.

Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Torrance Blvd.
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
Torrance, California
“The most horrible extended stay hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

In August, I stayed at the Extended Stay America in Torrance for 1 week due to our kitchen remodel. It was the most horrible experience I ever had.

Upon check in, they gave me a room key that didn't work when I arrived at the room. I had to get it replaced 3 times before it worked. The corridor halls looked depressing and the room was not very nice. It had a bed, bathroom and little kitchen area. The room was very drab to stay in for any length of time. When I arrived at the hotel, no one told me that I had to get basics like shampoo and a hair dryer from the front desk. The hair dryer actually had to be checked out. Because I didn't know, I had to catch an appt. the next morning with wet hair. The room was dirty and depressing. The minute I woke up, I wanted to run out of the room. I couldn't relax in the room provided.

I had paid to stay for one week. On my 5th night, I arrived at the hotel at 10:00 p.m. My key did not work again. So I went to the front desk and they re-activated my key. I went to the room, opened the door, and I found a man in his underwear brushing his teeth in the bathroom. As you can imagine, I was in SHOCK. I ran to the lobby and asked the worker why there was another man in my room. The worker said they thought I left because I didn't have much stuff in the room. So they proceeded to clean the room and empty everything I had in the refrigerator. I was furious....I told her that I paid for 7 days. It didn't matter if I did not have much stuff in the room. Also, if in doubt, they should have called me.

I warned my husband who was coming later about what happened. It took 1 1/2 hours for her to give us another room. She gave us a handicapped room so it did not have a bathtub and counter next to the sink.

After I left, I completed a survey to let them know how terrible their hotel was. The manager sent an email saying there was some miscommunications and he'd like to offer me a free night certificate. I told him that I didn't want a free night. I told the manager the proper compensation should be a credit for the last 2 night of inconvenience. Well....he never replied to my request. This showed me how much the staff and management does not care about people.

After the week of horror, I found another extended stay hotel down the street since I needed a place for 2 more weeks. It was a much better hotel with great service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Susan M
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Torrance Blvd., responded to this review, August 29, 2012

First, I would like to address the situation you experienced during your 5th night staying with us. The staff is instructed to make note of rooms which have been vacated and report them to the Front Desk who will then assign them to other guests as they arrive. If a room is reserved for a longer period of time, we do reach out to the guest to confirm check out. It seems, upon calling the number provided during check in, there was no way to leave a voicemail and the room was reassigned. I am so sorry for the mix-up and I am working with the staff to ensure this situation does not happen again.

Second, given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the cleanliness of your room and the property as well as the difficulties you experienced during check out. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have used your feedback to properly address this particular situation in the future.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

The hotel staff, from the manager all the way through to the house keeping staff are all very professional, helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean, the matresses and pillows were all new and the kitchen area was very convenient. Overall, this hotel is very fairly priced, and if you are looking for comfortable rooms with a very accomodating staff while staying within your budget, this hotel is a good choice.

Room Tip: Choose a non-smoking room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Torrance Blvd., responded to this review, August 22, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at our hotel. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other locations.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

After reading all of the reviews thought I would take a chance in spite of ratings in addition advertisements on multiple sites indicate Extended Stay is "pet friendly".

Dropped by today to schedule 2 nights in July because I will be moving. The desk clerk, and manager who was called by the clerk, informed me they only allow dogs and cats, NOT birds. I explained the are two small birds (not large parrots) and will be in cages. Clerk responded birds make a lot of noise. What? Running screaming kids, barking dogs and adults make lots of noise too. I have lived in an apartment for 22 years with my small birds and no one has complained and in many cases don't know I have birds.

I will never recommend Extended Stay or stay at one of their properties. They are unreasonable and NOT pet friendly.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank BirdPhotographer
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Torrance Blvd., responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America - Torrance Blvd. Our Company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the potential reservation you were in inquiring about at our Extended Stay America Hotels Torrance Blvd. After an investigation I believe this survey was directed towards another of our locations. I have contacted the location I believe it might have occurred and I have spoken with upper management and voiced your concerns regarding the consistency of out pet policy. I have followed up with upper management to ensure your concerns have been addressed

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your potential stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I lived here with my wife and two small kids for at least a month in the winter of 2009-2010 while waiting for escrow to close on a house we bought. If I had to do it again, I would come back here.

We shopped around and even moved once from the (nicer) Best Western Avita Suites next door because we felt that ESA was a better deal. It was cheaper and it had a full kitchen. Avita was more expensive, but they gave you breakfast. If you have out of town guests for a week or less, do Avita.

There was always a decent parking spot not too far from the door. The staff was competent. There's nothing at all upscale about this place, but again, it served our specific purpose. It had a decidedly "working class" vibe, and ethnic cooking smells in the hall from time time (which went away...don't worry!) I got the impression that there weren't too many folks staying there, or anywhere in Torrance, who we on vacation. It was never too noisy, and we were on the ground floor. There are decent food choices nearby. Wahoo's Mexican across the street is probably the best. There are groceries nearby at the Albertson's on Hawthorne.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels and for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. We value your comments so we can continue to improve the service we offer. It was a great pleasure for me to read the comments you sent regarding your stay in Extended Stay America Los Angeles – Torrance Blvd.

One of the greatest rewards of my job is receiving encouraging feedback such as yours. Our staff at the Extended Stay America Los Angeles – Torrance Blvd takes pride in creating a memorable, exceptional “home away from home” for our guests. Hearing that we have accomplished that goal means that we have delivered you the value and experience you expect.

If I can be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact me directly at 310-540-5442.
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

I stayed at this Extended Stay previously and it has been upgraded since then. It wasn't a complete renovation, but it is better than before with updated decor, mattresses and counter tops, maybe even carpet. The stay was uneventful and the price we received was a very good value for the location. The only items that I would mention are that the check-in was quite slow since there was only one employee at the desk (arrival around 6pm) and the shower head in our shower sounded like a train for some reason. It was very annoying since we had to adjust the water flow to get rid of it, multiple times. Also, I asked for a wine opener from the front desk and never received any response on its existence. At least call me and tell me that you don't have one.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gringgo

I have shared your feedback with my staff and we are all trying to be more accommodating and having more wine openers available for our guest. I have also made adjustments to properly handle situations and respond in a reasonable fashion.

Thank you again for your positive comments. I have shared them with our entire team as well as our Senior Management. We look forward to hosting you once again at Extended Stay Hotels.t

If I can be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact me directly at 310540-5442
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

We just arrived and after two uses of the toilet, the water overflowed and all we were given was a plunger!....Not after my husband and I started fighting that they realized that we weren't in a good condition...then we were offered another room. Before booking this room I read few reviews here and majority of them were ok reviews. Average and a good clean motel for a good value. Since we're staying only for a night, I decided to book it, anyway it's just for a night. Nothing won't go wrong. And then the unexpected happened. I read that this was also newly renovated but why a bad toilet with bad plumbing? Water even leaked down the reception area since we were at the second level.

I have to give credit to the clean room and a nice kitchen area, and yeah they provide more pillows too. That's it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America – Torrance Blvd. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the Plumbing issues in your studio suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen to properly train our staff on how to handle situation in a reasonable time to best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences.

La Habra, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

The reservation and reception was very friendly and efficient. I was offered a choice of rooms.
Got a large room with a flat screen tv. They do not offer daily maid service but do have a kitchen and dinnerware in the rooms. Bed, shower and linens were excellent. Located near Del Amo Shopping Center

Room Tip: Soome of the rooms are newly renovated and others are being restored. I stayed in one of the new one...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Torrance Blvd., responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear, Hawk0258

I thank you once again on the great feedback which we strive for at Extended Stay Hotels. We hope that we will be able to have the opportunity to repeat our services in your future stays with us.