“Eating there”

The Counter
Ranked #39 of 537 Restaurants in Torrance
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eating there”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have tried the place twice. Seemed like it would be a great experience at first. However it is Expensive and the food is greasy.

Visited January 2014

• Turkish first
Redondo Beach, California
“Yummy burgers!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Fun restaurant to build your ow. Burger. These are the best burgers I've ever eaten. I'm a meat eater so I've tasted a lot of yummy meat. These are the most flavorful and juicy burgers ever. Add a plate of 1/2 French fries/steak fries or fries and onion rings. They will make your day. They also have a full service bar with good tap brews.

• Visited October 2013
Wiesbaden, Germany
“One of the best burgers I've ever had”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

What a wonderful restaurant! It had a fun environment, and I loved the "order form" and all the customized options. They do have gluten free options and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I'll be back for more!

• Visited July 2013
Torrance, California
“I can get into this...”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

There are things I really miss about the seventies. I miss rustic walls of rough-hewn wood. I miss Boston ferns in macramé hangers and thickly sliced whole grain bread which came to the table fragrant and warm. I miss cozy cafes which served omelets, crepes and some of the best burgers on the planet. And I miss the burgers: those hefty, perfectly-crafted handfuls which were served by places like The Melting Pot, Old World and Hamptons.

Ah... Hamptons. How I have mourned your loss-- until several months ago when I found The Counter. I'll admit that I didn't have much faith in a place whose name brought to mind a million greasy spoons of the fifties, squeaky naughahyde stools lined up at formica counters which smelled of a rag used one too many times. I envisioned fridged jellos and puddings overhead, cakes in their pedestal stands and those little groupings of sugar, cream, salt and pepper in their standard-restaurant issue containers, stationed between every three patrons. But no-- The Counter isn't a greasy spoon, nor is there a single Boston fern anywhere in sight. This is 21st Century all the way-- yet the upscale, quasi-wine bar feel of the counter actually held out some hope of a promising experience: here there would be no wine in airline bottles served with my burger. No drinks in paper cups. Someone greeting us when we enter. Menus. Music. Casual but with flair. OK. I can get into this.

For those not in the know (now that I am, sort of) there are two ways to order at The Counter. You can order off the menu-- or you can create your own burger or burger salad. You're given protein choices (beef, turkey, veggie, bison or a feature of the day which last night was ahi tuna). You're given sizes. You choose whether you want it in a bun or a bowl-- then choose the TYPE of bun (no choices on bowl pattern). And then you have the great fun of getting creative with the toppings, veggies and sauces. A voice way up in the corner of my memory began whispering "Hamptons! Hamptons!" Only parking is better and you don't have to stand in line.

While we waited for our burgers, a big plate of fries arrived. These aren't just French Fries, ladies and gentlemen-- these are proper frites-- thin and crispy from beginning to end, tasting of fresh oil without BEING oily, and salted perfectly. Did I detect a slight sprinkle of onion powder in there and perhaps paprika? Excellent. While we munched on our frites (there are other varieties of fries to be explored if we can tear ourselves away from these beauties) we shared a bottle of an entirely acceptable pinot noir, poured into wine tumblers. Beats the heck out of the jelly jar glasses used for wine at a local pizzeria.

My burger was beautiful: 1/3 pound of juicy beef, cooked to a perfect medium rare and nestled comfortably into a bed of mixed greens atop the onion roll I'd ordered. I'd ordered the burger topped with imported Swiss, which was suitably melted, topped with a good quality applewood smoked bacon and sautéed mushrooms (did I detect thyme in my mushrooms?) Pure bliss from beginning to end. Heaven on a bun. It doesn't get any better than that, probably not even at Hamptons. (casting nervously around.)

My husband's burger (also beef), on a regular bun-- was a spicy delight with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, roasted green chile, bacon and Russian dressing.

We've been back numerous times and only once have been disappointed by buns which were a bit past their prime and a medium rare burger which was delivered to the table just shy of well done. While I could've sent it back, I'm not one of those judges on Chopped-- and besides, the burger was still juicy, incredibly tasty, and very nearly as satisfying as it would've been had it been pulled off the grill at the appropriate moment. I was still happy, maybe because of my wonderful frites, maybe because of the wine, maybe just because of the entire experience-- and I munched happily on without missing a beat straight to dessert.

One word to the wise about takeout: bearing in mind that nothing packaged is ever going to quite live up to the same thing served fresh, we recently opted to take out our dinner rather than eating in. Burgers were still good and fries amazingly so-- however, what really shocked us was the size of the full sized order: probably enough to feed a small, emerging nation. Is it possible to have too many fries when they're that good? I'll leave that to you to decide.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Gail G
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great Burgers”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had lunch here, twice. You "build" your burger, choosing your meat and accompaniments. Great, freshly made burgers with really good patties, fresh vegetables and sauces. Good fries too. The restaurant is clean and airy and has a nice outdoor seating area too. The staff were very friendly, and were very helpful for directions and suggestions of places to visit nearby.

Visited April 2013