“Economical but still needs work”

Staybridge Suites Torrance
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Recently returned from a long cruise, winding down at Staybridge Torrance, had stayed at the Staybridge New York - excellent value - but Torrance needs work. The front desk folks are very nice - very pleasant and really want to please. Indeed there are noises that can be heard - not the hotel's fault - some hotel guests are loud. If you have luggage, it's best on the bottom first floor, there is no elevators in the Torrance location - too bad. Rooms are quite dark even during the day we needed to put lights on - really had to check if the sun was out of what. It would have been nice to have some sunlight for the first floor - pics don't seem to show the "dark" rooms. Also, the queen bed is the smallest I have ever slept in - definitely not a "full" queen - for two folks, someone is hanging off the side. There are no bedrooms with two single beds, too bad. It definitely was overcrowded and my husband and I are not big people. I do have to mention the housekeeping - not the best, supposedly light cleaning during the week and call for service on week-end. Well, during the week the service never showed up until PM sometime, and then once took the towels, never left clean towels ? We had to call the front desk for towels - this should not have happened. The free breakfast is a good deal compared to some free breakfasts we have had at other hotels in the area which said hot breakfast but that was if you put your package of oatmeal in microwave - the Staybridge Torrance, had a good breakfast - a good variety and pleasant service and the seating area was kept clean. The social hour Tuesday to Thursday's was very good - the snacks were good and some nights exceptional snacks - wine, beer and sodas was there for everyone. Many folks attended - the atmosphere was happy when we were there. I also must say the heated swimming pool and jacuzzi are very nice - kept very clean. The landscape is kept very nice, well maintained. There are people who come with their dogs, and they don't seem to care where their dogs go, don't seem to realize that children play on the grass beside the pool area and sadly it's not the hotel's fault again, some folks don't think or behave nicely. Hotel staff are constantly working at keeping the Staybridge very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor if you have luggage, there is no elevator and no service for carrying luggage
2  Thank smurfeee
There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Torrance

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had a great stay at this hotel! The staff was knowledgeable about the property and very accommodating. The free breakfast was excellent and, for dinner, the rooms included a nice kitchenette where we would could eat in, and we often took advantage of the appetizer bar. The rooms were very comfortable and so were the beds! Also, I was relieved to have no problems whatsoever with the wi-fi. I would recommend this hotel highly. Oh, a shout out to Larry B., who checked us in quickly and was very courteous and professional. Thanks!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2013

A business partner & I needed to attend a training program in the Los Angeles CA area and were trying to find a way to keep expenses down. We were able to get a two bedroom, two bathroom suite at Staybridge in Torrance for less than what it would cost for a single room elsewhere.

The bedrooms were both a great size with their own bathrooms, dressers, closets and desks. The common area & kitchen were large, modern, well appointed and exceptionally clean. The included hot breakfast varied by day and wasn't too bad for complimentary hotel breakfasts.

Only two real downsides. All the rooms except for a couple in the same building as the lobby were exterior access. I didn't mind, but I know that's a security deal breaker for others. The other was no in-room safe. I always look for that in a hotel.

The location was pretty good too. When I first saw 'Torrance', I was skeptical. But as far as we could tell the location was sound.

We could have gotten rooms closer to our training, but this worked out great and saved us some money at the same time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I give this hotel more than its 3 star rating. Friendly and helpful front desk personnel. Check-in was quick. Suite was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Suite had a small kitchen to cook and store foods in a full size refrigerator even though I did not use them except to store drinks in the refrigerator. Nice landscaping and even a BBQ grill to grill steaks by the pool. This is a very nice hotel for families to save money by preparing and storing your own meals. There is a trend for hotels to nickel and dime you for extra fees such as parking and wifi. This hotel offers both for FREE! Full Hot breakfast is included in the lobby. Nice way to start the day. I eat light so i just had the oatmeal with fruit and coffee. They have the regular eggs, sausage or bacon, waffles, yogurt, toast, etc. Overall I was extremely pleased with my stay at this hotel and will likely stay here again. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Unless you have good knees and have no problem going up stairs, stay away from the 3rd floor. No ele...
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is where we stay at whenever we fly into LAX. From here, we drive to wherever we need to go to in SoCal. We've been coming to this property when it was known as the Summerfield Suites, so for maybe 20 or more years? It's close to the Del Amo and South Bay Galleria and many more shopping around the corner all along Hawthorne Blvd. The shopping and dining choices in the area gets better each time. We enjoy their delicious complimentary breakfast each morning. They offer complimentary internet service in the room, free parking and use of the laundry room and more. The rooms are big whether it's their one or two bedroom suites. This place can't be beat! It's truly our home away from home.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

First off, let me start by saying that NOTHING in Los Angeles (LA) is "nearby." Even trips of less than 30 miles by freeway can get you stuck in traffic for an hour or more. So convenience to a freeway, and of course, your own transportation, is an absolute "must" if you plan to spend more than a few days in LA. This hotel is close to several of the major freeways, the 405 and the 105, as it is near to LAX. The location also puts it in the proximity of Redondo Beach and the other "beach" cities, like Santa Monica and Venice. The hotel itself offers a decent breakfast, and a full kitchen, so preparing some meals and/or snacks in your room is very convenient. The rooms are clean and parking is free and plentiful. In short, a great place from which to go sightseeing, and to came back to relax afterwards. The only drawback is the location, while it is "near" the freeway, in fact it is several blocks away from it. Thus making it somewhat difficult to get to and out of.

Room Tip: Request a room close to the lobby, where breakfast and late afternoon snacks are served. The rooms...
Reviewed March 11, 2013

After an amazing stay at Staybridge Reno, I choose the Torrance location during a weekend trip to L.A. The location is in a business area and a bit dark not easy to find unless you know the area or have directions. Upon arrival the customer service was excellent, the front desk staff was friendly and check in was a breeze. The hotel has a condo like set up it is multi level and I did not notice an elevator, we had a ground room so that was not an issue. The lights controlled by the switch by the door are very dim and you have to walk in a dark room searching for additional lights. The first thing I noticed was a strong sweaty gym locker room smell. I called the front desk and my room was changed immediately. The next room we were moved to had a slight order but it was late and we were tired. You can hear everything that happens outside all night I heard people going up and down the stairs. There were people walking by talking loudly at 2,3,4 in the morning. Sleep was not possible (I am not a light sleeper). The following morning my son complained of the noise (he sleeps thru most things). The noise was not the only issue, the pillows smelled like sweat and the bathroom had questionable stains. We were originally scheduled for 2 nights but I requested my reservation be canceled for the 2nd night. The front desk clerk did not charge me for early departure and apologized for the incident. He discounted the previous night ($12.00) after a sleepless night a bit more seemed appropriate but at least he was polite therefore I was fine with the resolution. If the property invests in better windows the property has potential. The layout of the room is family friendly. The location is near restaurants and a park. As of now, I can not recommend you to stay here unless you take your own pillows and can sleep thru loud noise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank vacationlover310
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Torrance, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear vacationlover310,