“Overlooked details”

Miyako Hybrid Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

The Miyako Hybrid Hotel is a beautiful hotel in so many ways, they just need a reminder to be a little more detail oriented. First impressions of the hotel were amazing, from the authentic Japanese landscaping to the soothing citrus sandalwood aromas that fills the lobby, to the staff with their Japanese manor isms. I was impressed. The rooms are stocked with quality Aveda brand toiletries and goodies you can purchase in the cabinets and refrigerator. As soon as I dropped my bags in the room I went straight for the AC controller ceding a cold blooded Oregonian I turned that dial all the way down as far as it could go and decided to go down to the restaurant in the lobby to grab some sushi to go back to my room with. I ordered all in snout 10-15 minutes it was done and I headed back to my room with it. Entering the room I realized that the temperature hadn't changed at all. I was sweating at this point. The weird thing was the hallway was cooler than my room was... I stripped off most of my clothes and that helped with the heat. I went on to start saying my sushi when I realized that my order was wrong. I called the restaurant and they quickly fixed it and brought me a dessert as an apology. Everything else was fine the rest of my stay except the too hot room. until the next morning... I woke up the next morning to a still too hot for me. I showered in the luxurious shower with the luxurious Aveda soap... Mmm smelled soo good and proceeded to get dressed in. The room. That is when I saw it. I was thoroughly disgusted and started to physically feel ill. There was was bodily fluid on the throw blanket on my bed from a previous guest, yes the one I used since it was lighter and I was so hot all night. I started to fell physically ill seeing it and immediately packed my things and went to find a new hotel. I told the staff who profusely apologized and said that those should have been washed for each guest. All in all I can forgive the staff for the over site, but I expected more from a hybrid hotel. If you stay here heed my warnings. Sincerely yours-

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Johnahan W
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Johnahan W,
Thank you for your feedback.
Per our conversation back in May when you stayed, I would like to again apologize for your experience. Our staff responded swiftly to your concern.
Our offer for a complimentary upgrade with breakfast still stands. Please contact us directly if you should choose to return and we will ensure your stay will exceed your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Miyako Hybrid Hotel

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Greeted by every staff member personally with a smile and an eagerness I haven't found recently. This hotel caters to Japanese tourists and businessmen. The rooms remind me of the 4 and 5 star hotels I've stayed at in China but with a Japanese flair for compartments and devises. The beds were very comfortable. The bath room includes a bathing room (combo shower area and japanese tub) as well as an electronic toilet programmable for seat and water temps (yes it will wash you) and a bidet feature. This was a bit too fancy for me and the kids to go to a pro soccer game but we certainly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Bryan P,
Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you were happy with the Miyako service and amenities. Our bathrooms are a major talking point for our guests and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed it also.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We chose this hotel for a place to stay over our anniversary weekend. Having visited Japan in the past I am aware of the fantastic customer service that is shown to guests in that country. We arrived a little early for check in and had to wait about 15 minutes until a room was ready for us, which we expected. The clerk brought us our key to where we were waiting in the lobby and showed us the elevators. We arrived in our spotless room which had no odor of cleaning supplies you get in some hotels. Reading previous reviews I was aware of having the room key control the electrical items and the air conditioner soon had the room cooled down. The tv was a good sized flat screen, the bed fantastic and not enough can be said about the shower and soak tub. After about 15 minutes of getting to the room the front desk called to ask if the room was acceptable, a nice touch. We will be back again and the next time we will reserve a suite. Price was reasonable and although we did not eat at the hotel we did visit the market next to the property.

Room Tip: Get a room on an upper floor for a good view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jimmy M,
Thank you so much for your review. Your feedback is very valuable and we appreciate the time you took to write about your experience at the Miyako. We are honored that you chose the Miyako to celebrate your special occasion! Our amenities, ambiance and detailed service, make us the perfect location for a special celebration. Because our operation is eco-friendly, you will not find the housekeeping department using the typical hotel cleaning chemicals which leave odors. All the cleaning products that we use are earth friendly, odorless and neutral, which our guests appreciate!
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. The service is really great and it's very comfortable. It's a very Japanese experience. The upsides are the place is spotless, all of the amenities are amazing, the bed is ridiculous, the view is awesome and Mitsuwa is right there next to it. The only downsides are that the Japanese breakfast we had the next day wasn't as good as I expected it to be and we wished we ate at Katsuhana next door again instead of it. It was okay, but I was a little disappointed in the quality and the only other downfall is the sound. The walls are super thin so the sound travels. All in all I would definitely stay here again, without question.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear mikeypayload,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our service and amenities. We apologize for your breakfast experience, we will be forwarding your comments on to the restaurant management team. Your opinion is very valuable to us and we appreciate the information.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

What can I say, I love Japan. After spending 7 weeks in Japan and visiting many different hotels in different cities, I've fallen in love with Japanese customer service and attention to detail.
My husband and I are delighted to find this gem in our backyard. The issues I have with LA hotels is often they are overpriced, short on amenities and customer service, big on attitude. Faced with finding a "stay-cation" for my birthday put my husband into hives with the usual LA hotel options. We were thrilled to find Miyako as the rates are very reasonable for what you get. Loyal to Japanese customer service -- I expect they cater to the Japanese salarymen on business trips to the Toyota headquarters next door -- which benefits us lucky Gaijin who happen to stay here. One of the quirks I noticed visiting hotels in Japan is that they escort you to your room after check-in and introduce every possible amenity available (tea pot, wifi, tv, giant tub, a/c, exceedingly comfortable beds), and charmingly, the Miyako does as well.

The Relakan Spa is wonderful and I will become a regular here. I recommend Benjamin for the deep tissue or Japanese shiatsu massage. In the very least, do the Ganban hot stone spa. Try the handmade Soba noodles at the Gonpachi restaurant. Check out the Mitsuwa market next door. For a short time, I felt like I was worm-holed back to Japan.

For those coming out of town, this location is in Torrance which is not the heart of "LA" or walking distance to the beach. However, it is a short car ride to everything and less congested and expensive.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline N
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear jaspa33,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Miyako Hybrid, we truly value your opinion. We are honored that you chose us for your special stay-cation, we love our local guests!
Our service is true to the Japanese Omotenashi service and one that we pride ourselves on and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our level of service, as well as the amenities.
We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I used to live in LA and was curious about this hotel for a long time and finally had a chance to stay here.

Location:

It is right in front of Mitsuwa (Japanese supermarket) and very convenient for 405Fwy access. LAX is within 10 mins.

Staff:

There are a few Japanese speakers and when I checked in, one staff was willing to take us to the room and told us information about the hotel and room. It felt that I was staying at the hotel in Japan. Because hotels in Japan have this kind of service.

Room:

Cozy nice beds, many channel of TV, however it was a bit hard to select channel. Too complicated for remote controller. bathroom was amazing!!!! huge huge bathroom with good size of bath tub. Very deep and reminded me of Japan. Wifi works perfectly! Free :D

Parking:

It might be hard to find a parking even though its free for self parking at night time, but there are many street parking.

There are free shuttle to LAX airport but I did not use it.

Overall it was such a great stay, I will definitely stay again if I will come back to Los Angeles.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Fumister,
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you had the chance to stay with us and that you had a great experience and enjoyed our service. We appreciate the time that you took to write about your stay here. Our location is definitely convenient and there is so much to do in the surrounding area.

We look forward to seeing you again when you return to the LA area.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am not someone that remembers to book my hotel in advance. So, before I knew it, it was time to go to the E3 conference in LA. Of course, anything close to the convention center was sold out months in advance, so I opted to drive to/from the conference and ran across the Miyako through an Expedia suggestion (for air/hotel combo). Am I glad that I did! This place was clean, quiet, and had the most amazing bathrooms/showers ever. I am certainly a fan of little things like AC, Internet-access, and extra pillows. But, I also like having a unique perspective in the different hotels I go to, and this one sparked with personality. The in-house sushi and grill was awesome, and a bit on the pricey side, but at the end of the day I can definitely say I would come back in a heart beat. The highways weren't even that bad getting in to the hotel from airport, and out to LA convention center and back a couple of days in a row. A Hidden gem!

Room Tip: Looking for a unique hotel, something that will be memorable. Then look no further, the Miyako is g...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear ,
Thank you so much for your review. We are honored that you chose the Miyako Hybrid for your convention lodging and happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay an you were satisfied with the amenities. We truly have something special to offer our guests and we love hearing about their experiences.

We hope that you will return very soon.

Cherie Davis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrance
Downtown
Miyako Hotel Los Angeles
Miyako Hotel Los Angeles
#48 of 353 in Los Angeles

Been to Miyako Hybrid Hotel? Share your experiences!