“Great Stay!”

Miyako Hybrid Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We LOVED! the hotel! Our only (minor) quibble was with the location. Not their fault of course, it was because of our unfamiliarity with LA. We were on a three night "never been to LA" whirlwind tourist trip and the hotel was a little remote from most of the attractions that we were interested in. Consequently we spent more time on the freeways than we would have liked.

The staff were extremely professional and very friendly. Service was excellent all around. The room was large, spotless, well appointed and the price was very fair. Very comfortable bed. Nice desk and internet workstation although we weren't there for business. The iPod dock was a nice little extra. The hotel had all the facilities you could need (although we didn't use the spa, restaurant or convenience store).

Self-parking was available but in short supply on the immediate property. There was a larger lot just across the street but the $8 valet fee wasn't a huge hardship all things considered.

If your travels take you to the Torrance area, stay at the Miyako Hybrid. We'd go back without hesitation.

Room Tip: Our floor (the fourth), didn't have an ice machine which necessitated an elevator trip to the fi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scooter157
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Scooter157,
Thank you so much for your review, we are thrilled that you came so far to stay with us and that you had an enjoyable time. Our staff are committed to providing the highest level of customer service to all of our guests. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with our room amenities, we hope that you will visit us again and try our Spa and Restaurant.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I just got back from a whirlwind west coast trip. Flew from Boston to San Francisco for a meeting, then flew the same day to Los Angeles for a meeting the next day. We checked into Miyako Hybrid Hotel at about 9:00 PM after a long day of travel and meetings. From checking in to getting to the room it was friendly and efficient. The room was super clean and I loved the soaking tub and separate shower. I had a little trouble with the TV, which was tuned to Japanese channels. There was a good work area in the room with a comfortable and appropriate chair at the desk. Some hotels don't have good chairs for working, but Miyako does. Free wifi and free parking were appreciated. We ate at the restaurant the next night after we checked out, and it was delicious with very good service.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd floor, so I didn't have a balcony. I visited a room on the 6th floor and th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear dobrienma,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are delighted that you came so far to stay with us and you enjoyed your time at Miyako Hybrid. Our staff are committed to creating memorable experiences for all our guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our guest room amenities.
We hope to see you return very soon and perhaps next time you could stay longer.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

After a couple of scary days in LA Korean town area during 4th of July week, my wife and I stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights. The area was pretty quite and somewhat boring, but has a few charms around it.

Location wise, it is pretty close to nice beaches. Redondo beach is about 15 minute drive to the west, Long Beach is about 25 min down south. You can watch people fishing right off the pier, or huge seagulls stealing churo off of your hands, your call. Long beach has pretty nice inlet where you can do some kayaking or paddling.

Probably the largest Mituwa in the country is right adjacent to it. They have nice selection of descent Japanese food selections in the food court. In the old town, which is about 3 minutes drive, we dropped by a Brazilian place called "By". It was my first experience on Brazilian BBQ, and it was awesome. They have a couple of Brazilian beers in stock, if you like to try.

The room was very clean and I liked their bathtub and shower, since I did not have to worry about the wet floor because there was a drainage on the floor. Bathroom was nice and clean, just like they described on their web. One thing that surprised me was that I could open the entire window, which is prohibited by lots of other hotels.

Their lounge, japanese place, was not so impressive, though. Nigori sake, which is about 5 bucks in Safeway, was like 50 bucks. A rip off. But I guess what else do I expect for the hotel lounge, right?

Overall, my experience with Miyako hybrid was very much positive. You can expect nice and considerate services as well.

Room Tip: Rooms are pretty much the same. Choose at least above 5th floor for better privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Korean_traveler_chan,
Thank you very much for your feedback. We have a fabulous Housekeeping team that ensure the highest quality of cleanliness throughout the hotel and I am happy to hear that you experienced this. I apologize that you were dissapointed with the prices in the lounge and I will be passing your comments on to the restaurant management team.
We hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I wish I could give the Miyako Hybrid a "10."

I was skeptical of the consistently high ratings this place was receiving, until I stayed here. Simply beyond explanation. From the courtesy and professionalism of the front desk staff, to the comfortable rooms with spacious Japanese-style bathrooms, to the breakfast and the beer graden happy hour, this one really just has to be expereinced to be fully appreciated.

A great location for doing business with Toyota or Honda. And the Mitsuwa Market a stone's throw away is a nice plus. Convenient to the airport too!

Room Tip: Can't imagine there are any "stunning views" of Torrance from any side, but a room on...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear rwckennedy,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at Miyako Hybrid and are honored that you would give us a 10! Our staff are truely committed to ensure all our guests have memorable experiences. Our bathrooms are one of our most talked about features and our location is convenient and close to many attractions and I am happy that you experienced this.
We hope that you return very soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is one of the nicest hotel experiences I’ve had in a year or so. I only wish we could have stayed longer. This is a hotel run by a Japanese chain catering to the business people visiting the US headquarters of Toyota, Honda and other Japanese firms. That I guess is one reason for the name "Hybrid." The other is that this is a very environmentally friendly hotel, with solar PV panels and the use of recycled materials in construction. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was delightful. A nice little balcony looking out toward LA. A Japanese style bath wit h bidet and shower with separate soaking tub. Great care and quality in all the furnishings and attention to detail overall. Free reasonable speed internet access. Free parking in a lot adjacent to the hotel. Next door is the Mitsuwa Marketplace with a large Japanese grocery store and a dozen or so food shops, bakery shops and an amazing up scale Japanese candy shop. Great for lunch or informal dinner.

No place is perfect. There were three flaws. First, the sheets were of very high quality but a bit stiff, they actually seemed noisy and the bed was too soft for my tastes. Second, there were few plugs in the room and one of the two we could access to charge iPods, phones, etc. was too loose to work. Third, the materials in the room and on the web give the impression that the hotel restaurant, Gonpachi, is gourmet level. It was nice but I would only rate it good—a few dishes were interesting, most were merely competent standards. But these are very minor problems. We look forward to staying here again whenever we are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear elm4154,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Miyako Hybrid and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Our eco-friendly operation is very rewarding to both staff and guests who feel they are doing their part for the environment. I apologize for the flaws that you experienced and will be passing your comments onto the management team. We hope to see you return very soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

It's a beautiful hotel with large size rooms and bathrooms. The lobby is tastefully decorated, light and airy. It is walking distance from Mitsuwa, a huge supermarket, with vendors selling Japanese food, assorted pastries and teas. It is close to Redondo Beach and an easy drive to the Santa Monica promenade. The restaurant, Gonpachi, is good. The service throughout the hotel is impeccable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear PinayRox,
Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Miyako Hybrid and our guest service, our staff are truely hospitality minded to create memorable experiences for all of our guests. I am happy to hear that you had the opportunity to visit Mitsuwa, there is so much to see there and is very popular with many of our guests.
We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I travel a lot. It's July and I have maybe been in a dozen different hotels so far this year. Maybe more. This place is easily the best. In New York, I couldn't afford to walk by this place. In Torrance, CA, I could even go inside.

This is a very Japanese hotel in SoCal specifically here because the Toyota and Honda US offices are short car rides or even walks away, not to mention piles of other companies that would feed into Honda and Toyota.

It's evident this is no Best Western the moment you walk in, and it carries through every detail. The place is gorgeous and everything just works.

I didn't try the restaurant or lounge, as I had other stuff shaking, but a peek inside confirmed they were beautiful and designed for auto execs with big expense accounts.

The room is spacious (didn't expect that), with a very comfy bed and a chaise lounge and nice working desk. There is a safe and a small, hidden fridge. The AV was very good and the set-top box even had a setting for direct from Japan TV, which was cool. You need to fiddle with the inputs on the remote to get to domestic channels. The TV is a big flat panel running 1080 HD.

The bed was very comfy and didn't have one of those terrifying bedspreads you see in lesser hotels. It was VERY quiet.

The WiFi was smoking fast - as fast as I have ever come across in a hotel.

The bathroom was the fascinating thing. Because it caters to Japanese, and they accounted for maybe 90% of the guests from what I saw, the bathrooms have those toilets with the electric things that spray water on your private bits (if you choose). The bath was a big soaking tub and the shower was a separate open kind of area beside it, with a stool and wash bowl. I know there is some Japanese name for all this, but Lord knows what.

The hotel is also super clean and super quiet.

I think I got a room on a slow week, and maybe the price would be too high on other weeks, but if I am back this way, I am definitely staying here again if the rates allow.

Rate it 6 out of 5.

Room Tip: To change inputs on the remote, press the input button repeatedly.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear canuck169,
Thank you so much for your review and feedback. I am so happy that you enjoyed our unique room amenities, our bathroom is one of the most talked about features in the hotel. We hope you return soon and perhaps next time you will have the opportunity to visit the restaurant and lounge.

Cherie Davis,