“Good and Not-so-good”

Best Western Plus Avita Suites
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I occupied a standard studio room for one week.
The hotel is located within walking distance (10 minutes) of the Del Amo Fashion Mall.
The room door opened into a kitchenette area with microwave, stainless steel sink, coffee maker and refrigerator. Next was a good sized work desk and office chair and a comfortable seating area. The furniture was dark wood and the furnishings (bedspread, seating) in grey material. This gave a rather gloomy appearance to the room. An individual air conditioning unit was located at floor level beside the window.
The hand basin was located outside of the bathroom in a wooden storage cabinet. The bathroom featured tub/shower combination and toilet.
Serve yourself breakfast is available on the 2nd Floor. There was a reasonable choice of items on offer: cereals, juices (poor quaility & watery), tea, coffee, fruit, yoghurts etc as well as two waffle machines, which made excellent waffles. There was also bacon, hash browns etc, which were stone cold on the two occasions I tried them.

There were some good things about the hotel and other things less good.

First, the good:
• Excellent, very pleasant staff.
• High standard of housekeeping. The rooms were maintained in spotless condition.
• Modern, touch-with-card room key.
• Very comfortable queen size bed.
• Reasonable rates.
• Entirely non-smoking establishment.
• Complimentary wi-fi.
• High quality flat screen TV.
• Hotel is located in a safe area.

And the not-so-good:
• Thin walls. One night I was woken (and kept awake for several hours) by the occupant of the next room snoring.
• The toilet was not firmly attached to the floor and rocked when you sat on it.
• There was no stopper in the hand basin, consequently wasting a lot of water.
• The room overlooked two parking lots, which were lit at night. The windows of the room had wooden shutters, which were inadequate for darkening the room. Opposite the window and to the left of the bed, a mirrored closet resulted in the room not being dark whichever way you turned in bed.
• Despite there being a kitchenette in the room there was no provision of cups, plates, cutlery etc. Guest Services was unable to provide any explanation for this omission.

If I were to stay in Torrance again I would be happy to stay at the Best Western Plus Avita Suites. The good things listed above were very good. I would, however, equip myself with some ear plugs and an eye mask.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms overlook the parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Richard A

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here recently after reading the great reviews and seeing how close it was to lax. The location was perfect. 5 minutes from the beach. 5 minutes from several stores and restaurants. 15 minutes from lax. The rooms itself were amazing. I've never felt so comfortable so far from home. The rooms were perfectly decorated. The beds and linens were super comfortable. Breakfast was great with plenty of hot and cold options. Plenty of healthy options which I appreciated. I couldn't have asked for anything better. Plenty of parking. Only one entrance to the hotel which I appreciated from a security standpoint. The staff was super helpful and even helped me get a stamp to mail a postcard back home. My only complaint is they need more than one washer and dryer for that size of hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Had the two room Queen suite, really liked it. Comfortable bed and couch, two flat 32" screens. Nice bath. Thought room lighting was a little harsh with all the CFLs. Need some color corrected or warmer lamps.

Breakfast was very good, but coffee machine (one of those brew-on-demand units) consistently made weak coffee. Breakfast area is always attended, constantly refreshed.

Location was perfect for us on a three day visit in and around the entire L.A. area, and it was nice to be out of L.A. at night. Very quiet here, and plenty of parking. (Three handicap are under the building, like a garage)

Elevator has a LOUD BUZZER that buzzes on each floor it passes. For that reason, I would avoid staying near it. Management should look into quieting that down.

Would stay here again without hesitation. Keep in mind, this location is still practically new, so double check things in a few years to see if this is all still true.

Room Tip: I would avoid staying near the 2nd floor breakfast room, of near the elevator on any floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was a great value. The room was nicer than expected; with a fridge, microwave, sofa, and two beds, there was more than enough space for us to spread out. Everything was clean and appeared new (or at least well kept) and the staff we encountered were all friendly. The free parking was a great plus and the location gave us easy access to all the beach destinations we were headed to. I had surfing lessons one morning at Redondo Beach and I don't think it even took 10 minutes to get there. The morning breakfast was nice, but be sure to get there early. We had no problems on day one, but day two we arrived later and they were out of most items. The free water and cookies upon arrival were a nice treat as well. Would definitely stay again. The only drawback - the air conditioner was aimed directly at one of the beds, so unless you like being really chilly while you sleep, one of the beds posed a bit of a problem! Not a big enough issue to keep us from returning though.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We visited Avita suites in august 2010 just after some renovations before leaving Australia I had purchased a lot of classic car parts and musical instruments over the web and had given the Avita at Torrance as my address and to my delight when we arrived the concierge said all my boxes had arrived and they were in storage. the items were then sent straight to our room,, great start ,the overall room was quite nice and clean ,and these are the first things one looks for ,as for no syrup on the waffles, jeeze! does it really matter! Ask someone!! I and my wife thought the breakfast was quite good and the service there was also very good ! and I might add most motels in Australia for those rates you dont get breakfast!!!!anyway we were both very happy with the closeness to Redondo beach ,the Airport and the attractions . we reccomend the motel and would visit them again if we return to LA

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My Room was SOOOO clean and cozy! I looked forward to coming in for the night each night I stayed. I cannot say that I enjoyed the breakfast though as it definitely leaves something to be desired of, but the rest of my stay was quiet, peaceful, and consistent.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Michaelbush6417
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I liked the hotel, but I was annoyed by 1) a poorly draining shower and 2) no syrup for waffles.

The hotel is nice. It's in a pretty nice area. It was very easy to get to from LAX, and very quick when there's no traffic (about 20 minutes). It's off a major road, there are several big malls in the area as well as Target, Walmart, supermarkets. It's very close to the Redondo Beach Pier, literally right down the street. There are a few chain restaurants across the street (Chicken Dijon, Quizno, Wahoo Fish Tacos, Subway).

The hotel itself is nice. The rooms look new and beautiful. Everything was comfortable and pretty. The bed was great. The room is quiet. The fridge was nice, there was a microwave. The breakfast was very good. The staff was very good in stocking the goodies during rush hour (except for the aforementioned syrup, how hard is it to get syrup?). There's a good variety, but the eggs are sort of fake-scrambled.

The wifi worked well from my room way at the end of the hall. I didn't really deal much with the staff, but they were very nice at check-in and check-out. I think the value of the hotel is great. It's good deal for a nice, big room in a good area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nysingle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrance
Doubletree by Hilton Torrance - South Bay
Staybridge Suites Torrance
Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach
Residence Inn Los Angeles Torrance/Redondo Beach
Best Western Plus Redondo Beach Inn
The Redondo Beach Hotel
The Redondo Beach Hotel
#2 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Avita Suites? Share your experiences!