“Happy Times at this Charming Inn”

The Continental Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tomales
Newcastle, California
“Happy Times at this Charming Inn”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

My friend and I had the pleasure of staying at this charming inn on New Year's. From the moment we entered, we felt right at home. Being the holiday season, the lobby was beautifully decorated, and Penny the ever-gracious hostess treated all her guests to champagne and snacks before we departed for festivities next door at the William Tell Restaurant. Our room was so comfortable though, we found ourselves anxious to return to snuggle into the cozy beds (with great sheets and pillows) after a hot shower in the roomy, well-appointed bathroom. The antique décor throughout the hotel is lovely and tasteful and a little reminiscent of grandma’s house…but much nicer.

Unlike some B & B’s that leave you feeling trapped in your room or relegated to whispers, Penny’s relaxed and welcoming demeanor made us feel like the entire inn was our home away from home. We gathered with friends during breakfast in the common area where we enjoyed complimentary coffee, tea, muffins, scones, cereal, and a lot of laughter. When it was time to go, we were able to pull our car right up to the front door and easily depart.

As a native Californian who has spent half a century touring the coast, I found the tiny town of Tomales to be uniquely charming and really, really fun. It fells like a throwback to another era, yet it’s a quick drive from major cities like San Francisco and Sacramento. Tomales is more nostalgic and less uptight than other coastal towns, and we had a blast attending the New Year’s Party at the William Tell next door. Leave the heels and ties and home – you’re welcome everywhere in your most comfortable jeans, and every local you encounter will make you feel like a long-lost friend. It’s more affordable than other coastal towns too, yet some of the most beautiful coastline in the world is a mere four miles away.

Since visiting Tomales, I’ve recommended a stay at the Continental Inn along with dinner and drinks at the William Tell to all my coast-loving friends. It’s a different kind of experience and one a true travel lover will long remember. When I think about the memories of my trip there, I can’t help but smile.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank girlovestogo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Northern California
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Even having read the on-line reviews, this comfortable inn exceeded my expectations. Our room was nicely decorated, very clean, and comfortable. The matress was GREAT. Even the pillows were comfortable (which is usually my pet peeve!) I appreciated the fresh coffee and treats in the morning, and enjoyed the bench out front, just peering up and down the main street which was so quiet in the early morning.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gal4fish
Castro Valley, California
Reviewed August 27, 2010

The service at this lovely inn was impeccable. Penny made every accomodation for us in making our reservations as there were a number of us traveling here for a cycling event. The inn is meticulously clean, the decor is charming without being overly frilly. I felt like I was in an English B&B. There is a little continental breakfast of cereal, intant oatmeal coffee and juice which is laid out in the upstairs small lounge, but really save you appetite and wait for the bakery and deli to open across the street. Both favorites for casual munching and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Fall City, Washington
Reviewed May 14, 2010

My wife and I flew down to Fresno from Seattle to buy a new car which we drove across the Golden Gate bridge and then up highway 1. We hit Tomales at just about full dark and rented a very nice room at the nicely renovated Continental Inn. For being a very small town and an older building, the Inn was a nice surprise and more like an intimate B&B (except without the breakfast). It exceeded our expectations by far and the proprietor, Penelope Hammond was a most gracious hostess. We departed to continue our drive up the coastal route the next morning only to discover while stopped some hours later, that my wife had left her prized coat hanging in the closet in our room. I emailed Penelope after arriving home who promptly sent us the coat via registered mail. I offered to pay but Penelope refused and simply said we could buy her a drink next time we were in town (which I think we both knew would probably never happen). I can whole heartedly recommend the Continental Inn to any traveler needing a quality place to sleep whether for just a night or for a longer stay while exploring the area around Tomales.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
redwood city
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I traveled with my sister, a first time visitor to northern California, to the Tomales Bay region in late September. We found the Continental Inn in Tomales to be just what we were looking for. Set in the charming little strip of buildings that make up Tomales, CA, it was a great location for exploring the area...quiet and rural in feeling, but a short drive to Dillon Beach, Bodega Bay, Marshall and the wildlife reserves, etc. The beauty and simplicity of the area was reflected in the decor of the inn. Innkeeper, Penny, was warm, friendly and informative. Our room was spacious and very comfy, with a charming view. Although a replica of the original building, it retained the feel of the time period without any of the negatives of being in an old building (like damp, mold, smells, etc.) Amenities that we appreciated were the free wi-fi, the consistently stocked tea/coffee bar and the DVD player in the room. Would easily recommend this Inn and plan to stay there again.

Stayed September 2009
Acton, CA
Reviewed November 13, 2008

Tomales is a small out of the way place in Marin County, California, USA. About an hour north of San Francisco. The Continental Inn is a fabulous place to stay. The rooms are large, extremely clean and well furnished. The beds and linens are so comfortable you don't want to get out of bed. Staying here is like staying at a friends house, the staff is extremely friendly, and the personal attention you get is a rare find these days. If you want a quick romantic weekend getaway this is the place. No phones in the room, cell phones don't work in the town (it is out there). If you want a quiet, undisturbed weekend, this is it. Next door is a great old saloon and restaurant call the William Tell House. Down the road is Dillion Beach. If you need a weekend away from the hustle and bustle of life, you have to stay here. Most of the rooms have inside entrances, but they do have a couple of rooms with private outside entrances. Peaceful, quiet and rejuvanating are words that come to mind when I think of the Continental Inn. I work in IT, I am on call all the time and work lots of extra hours all the time. This is truly a place, close by, that I can go to and escape the noise of my normal world. I particularly like the fact that when I am in Tomales, no one can find me. Take your significant other to the Continental Inn and enjoy a romantic getaway. It is well worth the drive.

• Liked — The quietness
  • Disliked — There was not really anything I disliked, this place is great!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
London
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We were travelling from Europe and stopped over at this hotel on a Friday night. The place sits on the main street of tiny tomales next to a former bank (turned artist workroom) and an old saloon-looking all-american bar. It has a sort of gold-rush feeling to it that we loved immediatly. Inside, the plush lobby and our room were very tastefully apppointed, a sort of cross between an english B&B (we learned that the owner came from north London in the UK) and a far-west establishment. The owner decorated our room with an obvious attention for details that lent a subtle charm to the place in its own quaint way. That said, the linnen were very clean and we enjoyed huge muffins for breakfast that we ate on the balcony of our room while contemplating the main street .

Honestly, this hotel is a classic in its style. You should not obviously expect sophisticated deluxe service or 21st century corporate-oriented facilities (internet, meeting room and this sort of stuff ....) but why would you go to this kind of place for that anyway?

• Liked — decor
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Chiswick_on_tour
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tomales
Bodega Bay Lodge
#4 of 5 in Bodega Bay
Bodega Harbor Inn
Bodega Harbor Inn
#2 of 5 in Bodega Bay

Been to The Continental Inn? Share your experiences!