“Amazing food in the middle of Ayrshire...”
Review of The Sorn Inn

The Sorn Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Sorn B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Had an amazing meal here the other night.. One of the best Gastropubs I have been to in the UK.. Starter, main and and pudding were all first class - the steak in particular. Service was great and to have the chef out and talking to us, even better. Next time, I am up that way, I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 10, 2011

We had dinner at the Sorn Inn on Saturday 8th Jan 2011. Our hosts at www.craigendbandb.co.uk joined us for dinner and had highly recommended the inn. They were in fact nervous that they may have oversold it and were really keen to see what we thought. Working in central London and travelling on business means lots of lunches and dinners at good restaurants (and sadly some bad ones) so it would take a lot for the inn to be truly exceptional. The drive through the snowy roads from Lanarkshire to Ayrshire seemed to heighten the excitement - we drove for nearly 40 minutes before we saw another car on the roads!
We arrived and were welcomed in the bar and offered drinks or to take these at our table. We chose to go through and I have a pint of Texas, a wonderful, chilled real ale from the local Houston Brewers.
The menu looked interesting and we had been steered towards steak as a main course based on the rave reviews of John and Heather.
I decided to have a pasta starter (not something I would usually do) and chose the carbonara with smoked bacon, then a sirloin (8oz) with the thick home cut chips and a side of green beans with onion and bacon.
The pasta arrived in an eye catching bowl and the smell preceded it - a real tang of smokey bacon and cream. It tasted even better and there was silence whilst we all devoured our starters.
There was a pleasant pause before the main course (I hate being rushed) and we ordered some very reasonably priced NZ Sauvignon and a Brouilly. The main courses arrived to an excited table and was served wonderfully by Tracy our waitress. Again we had a view of the kitchen and the chef in action and the aroma of dinner was the first thing we got at the table - it was amazing. The steak was so tender and the chips perfect - text book thrice fried I would guess - plump and fluffy inside and crisp outside. A lovely dressed salad was served along with the main course too - thankfully in a separate bowl so it didn't get lost in the main course and sides and could be enjoyed for itself.
The challenge of pudding was risen too by all - I cannot recommend the honeycomb parfait enough - real honeycomb and light parfait - three triangle 'slabs' was just enough, sweet, crunchy and leaving a smile on the face.
The Sorn Inn was amongst the best meals I have ever had anywhere in all of my travels. We had a great chat with the chef after dinner and he talked to us about the challenges of his venture - we would not hesitate to recommend anyone to try the Sorn Inn. The food quality was on a par with the finest restaurants in London, the staff were attentive and friendly without being overbearing, the prices were good too and the wine was not prohibitive as so often one finds in quality establishments.
We hoe the Sorn Inn goes from strength to strength - it is a jewel in the crown not just of Ayrshire, but of Scotland herself.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Have been to the Sorn Inn on a number of occasions. The service is excellent. The food is comparable with any of the top restuarants in Glasgow or Edinburgh and fantastic value for your money.

Have stayed a few times for birthdays etc and found the rooms to be very comfortable. The breakfasts are great and the porrige is the best I've ever had. Don't tell the wife!

AP

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Ate TDH dinner in mid September and while I admit I was unhappy at being unable to take a drink that night because I was driving, I found the place and food rather disappointing after so many rave reviews.
Dinner for two cost £47.90,and has been forgotten, drink prices were very acceptable.
Service is friendly and this may be the best place around but I am unlikely to return.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank f2s
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I live close to this inn and have not stayed overnight so can't comment on rooms however I can comment on the restraunt and if you are looking for truly fantastic food then look no further the chef is hugely talented in my humble opinion my wife and i have dined here many times and i can honestly say i have never had a less than fabulous meal you get warm , friendly staff , nice cosy atmosphere say no more about the food oh and sorn itself is a little friendly very picturesque little village . I just can't praise the sorn inn enough . Visit and you will definately enjoy

Reviewed July 23, 2010

Live locally so have been a regular visitor to the Sorn Inn since the Grant family took over. Keith (the son and chef) has vast experience and this comes across in the food. He can cook dishes from across the world with expertise and the Tuesday curry night is exceptionally good value and quality. The head waiter is from Madeira and is always laughing and joking with the clientele. But the food is just awesome and tremendous value for money. You can eat three superb courses plus a couple of drinks for less than £30 a head - bargain. Keith specialises in local produce and the Buccleuch Beef fillet just melts. But my absolute favourite is always when he has game birds such as pheasant on the menu - awesome!

Reviewed July 6, 2010

Sorn village is very quiet and has an attractive church and a river running by it. The Sorn Inn is the focal point of the village being the one and only place offering food and drink (apart from a small village shop/P.O.); having said which you need look no further. The bar, restaurant and rooms are well appointed and there is much attention to detail here. We met with George (Craig's father) and were very taken with his relaxed but attentive business manner. The small bar is popular and friendly as is the restaurant with it's more upmarket feel (great sourced matured steak & homemade onion rings and chips). Breakfast was excellent (recommend the haddock and poached egg, followed by homemade marmalade and toast). Nothing is too much trouble here and we wouldn't hesitate to return to this well deserving family business.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sorn Inn? Share your experiences!