“Go - you won't be disappointed!!”
Review of The Sorn Inn

The Sorn Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Sorn B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Live locally so have been a regular visitor to the Sorn Inn since the Grant family took over. Keith (the son and chef) has vast experience and this comes across in the food. He can cook dishes from across the world with expertise and the Tuesday curry night is exceptionally good value and quality. The head waiter is from Madeira and is always laughing and joking with the clientele. But the food is just awesome and tremendous value for money. You can eat three superb courses plus a couple of drinks for less than £30 a head - bargain. Keith specialises in local produce and the Buccleuch Beef fillet just melts. But my absolute favourite is always when he has game birds such as pheasant on the menu - awesome!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Sorn Inn

Reviewed July 6, 2010

Sorn village is very quiet and has an attractive church and a river running by it. The Sorn Inn is the focal point of the village being the one and only place offering food and drink (apart from a small village shop/P.O.); having said which you need look no further. The bar, restaurant and rooms are well appointed and there is much attention to detail here. We met with George (Craig's father) and were very taken with his relaxed but attentive business manner. The small bar is popular and friendly as is the restaurant with it's more upmarket feel (great sourced matured steak & homemade onion rings and chips). Breakfast was excellent (recommend the haddock and poached egg, followed by homemade marmalade and toast). Nothing is too much trouble here and we wouldn't hesitate to return to this well deserving family business.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I visited the Sorn Inn with my parents in March on the recommendation of a friend in our area. Having not had a chance to test the menu before my parents visit, I was hopefull that it would live up to the good reviews I had heard. None of us were disappointed....the food was absolutely fantastic. I had the rib of beef with hickory mash which was delicious and real melt in the mouth meat. My father had the steak with the chips mentioned by the previous reviewer (how they can complain they are too big is beyond me? They were absolutely lovely made from real potatos...perhaps macdonalds fries would be more to their liking?!) and having eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world my father declared that this was the best steak had eaten in years.

The service was also very good indeed. Our waiter was very attentive and the owner Craig came and had a chat with us. He is clearly very passionate about his food and his restaurant and can give you the provenance of every ingredient in his food. The bill was not unreasonable and having had such a good meal we didn't begrudge a penny of it.

We really enjoyed this place and even though it is a 40 minute drive for us, we would rather make the effort to go here than somewhere more local. Having moved to Scotland from London and struggled to find good places to eat, it has been great to find somewhere with a comparable menu offering, reasonable prices, modern decor and great service.

I would have absolutely no hesitation recommending this restaurant and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2010

I highly recommend The Sorn Inn for a meal. As it was my husband's birthday I took him with 2 of our friends for dinner at the Sorn Inn. We all had steak dinners and the only thing that I would fault is the size of the chips, smaller chips would be my preference, but everything else was faultless. We all felt that we would definitely be back to sample something else off the great menu.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2010

The food is absolutely brilliant, really made the trip. Rooms are pretty spacious and we were fairly happy with them. But the food is really something to write home about.

The owner was very nice to us as well, and if staying in the area again we would definitely come back.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Perfect night spent there for my boyfriend's birthday. Such good value for money. Really friendly owners. The room was really nice and the food was sooo tasty and so beautifully presented I didnt want to ruin it by eating it. Then we got our own private breakfast because the other 2 rooms weren't booked which meant we could have it when we liked and what we liked (including homemade jam and porridge with drambuie). The head chef is the owner and he obviously really wants it to work.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I travel frequently with work and have stayed in the normal hotels - from the Hilton to Holiday Inns etc but to spend an overnight in the Sorn Inn was just great. The welcome was really warm, the food out of this world and the bar staff really friendly - couldn't recommend the Sorn Inn highly enough - I only had an overnight - will definitely return ... hopefully for a longer stay.
If you don't need accommodation at least make a stop at Sorn for the food.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorn
Dumfries Arms Hotel
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Cumnock
Enterkine House Hotel

Been to The Sorn Inn? Share your experiences!