“Awesome wines in Tiburon”

Couloir Wines - Straight Line Wine Tasting Room
More attraction details
Owner description: Our Tasting Room is permanently closed. Please visit us by appointment in Calistoga, CA. Visit our website to learn more.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Couloir Wines is making superb Sonoma & Napa Style wines. Big fruit forward wines with balanced acidity and world class flavors and aromas. It's unlikely location in the heart of Tiburon gives me an excuse to go back to Tiburon. Apparently this is the same building where Rodney Strong started his winemaking adventures. Plus, too many times "Family Winery" now means big corporate winery, disguised as a family operation, that happen to own 10 other wineries. So I like supporting the new guys who still have the passion to craft the wine in smaller batches, by hand.

They told me the winemaker, John Grant, spent quite a few years working under the head winemaker for Turley wines somewhere in Napa. I think he listened well. They have different price points for his sub-labels "Straight-Line" and "Pigeon Hole", so I think there is something here for everybody. Plus the place is pretty cool place to hang out. So put it on your list.

1  Thank Steve S

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Whether you live in San Francisco Bay area or are just visiting, this is a perfect trip to a wonderful town for some great wine tasting without having to travel all the way to the Napa/Sonoma area. The tasting room has a charming ambiance and the wine is nothing short of spectacular. You're right on the bay within walking distance to some great restaurants to boot! Go, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Everything i was poured knocked my socks off. Granted, located in a beautiful spot and great weather while i was there, so not too much could upset me at that point, but was amazed at how delcious and approachable all the wines were. Ended up taking a bunch home with me and signing up for the mailing list (which I almost never do). I live in the Bay Area, so easy access for me, but I will certianly add this destination to my "must see" list for those staying SF and looking for a ferry trip on the Bay to Tiburon.

3  Thank Mike Z
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I love this cute wine bar, with a lovely patio and excellent wines! John grant is a truly wonderful winemaker, I'm looking forward to his new and past wines.

2  Thank Ingrid E
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We went to the tasting room last weekend with the whole family, including kids and grandma, and everyone had a great time in between wine tasting, playing with the dog and drawing with street chalk!

2  Thank andreaskemp