“Relaxing and fun!”
Review of Waters Edge Hotel

Waters Edge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tiburon
Reviewed November 11, 2010

My niece and her boyfriend came with me from Sacramento to Waters Edge Hotel. We needed a getaway but not too far.away. This was the perfect place from the moment we got there. The valet boy came out to our car and got our luggage and the front desk person was very friendly and our room was ready. The hotel and staff were so nice.Our room was beautiful and a great view. We were told to walk on the outside deck because it was worth seeing...they were right...just beautiful. Location was perfect, no car needed. Went to a lovely dinner next door. I am recommending this to all my friends...I wish I could live there....lol.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank salesgirl_10

Reviewed October 20, 2010

Never before have I had to give a place of lodging such a low rating. But never before have I had a reservation cancelled with no prior notification.

Early on there were indications that things weren’t operating smoothly at Waters Edge. In July I phoned to make a one-night reservation for a date in October. I was told that I would receive an e-mail confirmation within the hour. After days passed with no confirmation, I sent an e-mail inquiry. I received a reply from the manager indicating that he could find no record of my reservation, but that there were ample rooms available for my date and a reservation would be made and confirmation would be sent. Several more days passed without a confirmation and I sent a 2nd inquiry. The manager checked again and eventually found that they had sent the confirmation to an incorrect e-mail address, but all had finally been taken care of. Or so I thought.

Fast forward to October (3 months later), the morning of our scheduled arrival at Waters Edge. Literally 10 min. before we were to leave our house to drive to Tiburon, I phoned the hotel to ask them where we should park. The person who answered put me on hold and then came back on to say that he had “bad news”. He told me that a large group had booked the entire hotel and even tho’ I had a confirmed reservation, there would be no room available for us that night. I was incredulous and asked why no one had contacted me. I had, of course, provided them with both my home phone number and my e-mail address. And obviously, a large group would have booked up the place many weeks or even months in advance. He said that the notification had “fallen thru the cracks”.

He offered me a room at another hotel within the JDV group--located in Mill Valley. The proposal was completely unacceptable since all our destinations during the stay were located right in Tiburon and we were not going to be driving back and forth between Mill Valley and Tiburon. I then asked him what alternate lodging there was in Tiburon and he suggested the Lodge at Tiburon. He phoned them and made arrangements for us to stay there that night . The Lodge was a nice motel with a friendly staff, but the inland location and amenities were not comparable to Waters Edge. Since I had already purchased the “one night’s stay” at Waters Edge thru a charitable auction, we ended up with lesser accommodations than what we had paid for. Waters Edge offered no compensation other than providing us with the room at the Lodge.

I am resigned to the fact that group bookings will nearly always supercede individual guests, but the worst part about this sorry scenario is that it could have been rectified had I only been given an opportunity to change our plans and rebook on a different date. How such a very fundamental notification could have “fallen thru the cracks” is unfathomable.

The ending to this sad saga was even worse. Later the same morning of our trip to Tiburon I received an e-mail from the manager at Waters Edge, saying that a room wasn’t available due to “a leaking pipe”!! Obviously, the manager and the hotel staff member I had talked to that same morning had not even gotten their stories straight and had given me two completely different reasons. I assume that the group booking was the correct one, but will never know for sure. (Maybe I should have walked into Water Edge and asked if they’d gotten their leak fixed yet!) I can only offer the strongest of warnings to those who are considering staying at Waters Edge to beware and proceed with caution and care. If you do decide to take the plunge, be certain to confirm your reservations multiple times--and always have a backup place of lodging lined up! And perhaps be prepared to stay in Mill Valley...

13  Thank Forestvillian
JFlake, General Manager at Waters Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

First of all, I want to offer my deepest apologies to this guest. My staff and I are so sorry that this chain of events lead to such an unpleasant experience for her; preventing her from staying at the hotel.

There was, in fact, a reservation mistake, but the implication that we deceived her, just isn’t the case. The matter was a miscommunication between the guest, our Front Desk Host, and me. I have offered her this explanation, off-line, and hope it lessens her frustration. Her room became unusable. We could not offer another room; a group was already occupying every other room in the hotel.

We offered her a stay at Mill Valley Inn, our sister hotel, first, because we wanted to give her the best room we have, the Penthouse; a $400 +, per night, room. We were holding this for her. Our intention was to go above and beyond simply sending her to another hotel. Of course, we benefit from having her stay within our hotel family, but this was not our primary intention. We knew we could take excellent care of her, if she stayed with us. In case she didn’t want this, we had also pre-confirmed availability at the Tiburon Lodge, should she not want to go to Mill Valley.

As I said above, there were mistakes made on our part, regarding the initial reservation that should have, and could have been avoided. We will learn from this experience, and we accept responsibility for it. Had these mistakes not been made, we could have contacted her prior to her arrival. We are very sorry for this.

For you who are reading, please know that a sequence of events like this is so rare. It is not the norm at Waters Edge Hotel. I only wish that this guest would have had the opportunity to enjoy the hotel, as I’m sure she would have had a great experience.

It's very sad to me that our potential guest was so upset. I've contacted her in hopes that she'll give us another opportunity, and create a new and better experience.

if you have any concerns about your reservation, after reading this review, and wish to contact me personally, please feel free to ask for me at the hotel.

Thank you for reading. We look forward to having you.

Justin Flake
Waters Edge Hotel

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I am so happy that the previous excellent level of service is back. After a somewhat disappointing stay last year, we returned again to find that our previous concerns had been resolved. All of the staff were excellent and the breakfast was wonderful. Since we arrived during wine hour, the staff was even so kind as to prepare a plate of fruit and cheese and bring a split of wine up tot he room for us. Tiburon is one of my favorite places to visit in the bay, and I am so relieved that I again have a wonderful place to stay there.

My only recommendation to the hotel--when you can, replace those strange old hairdryers!

Reviewed October 12, 2010

Recently my girlfriend and I stayed at the Water's Edge Hotel, and reveled in the views, excellent service, and overall elegance of this wonderful place. The complimentary wine hour was a fantastic treat, and we could see San Francisco from our bed! It was an amazing, worthwhile, and incredibly romantic time.

The staff was amazing, especially the front desk host. Paul became instant friends with us with his personal touch and genuine interest in our well-being. All Front Desk attendants should be trained by this man, because a genuine smile and genuine interest in the guest goes a long way. At least with me, and I felt like he was genuinely tickled that I was staying at his hotel.

I had never been so impressed with a hotel breakfast before. We filled out cards the evening before, letting the staff know what we wanted and what time we wanted our breakfast delivered. Yes, delivered! The next morning, right on cue, came a beautiful tray of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, toast and juice. It was delicious, and we took our tray outside to our deck and admired the beauty of San Francisco Bay as we ate our breakfast.

I do not believe I've ever had a more romantic getaway. I would highly reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smfinn
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I planned my honeymoon at the Waters Edge hotel. When we got there the staff was very friendly and offered to help with anything that we needed. Our room looked amazing and had a great view of the city over the bay at night. The room had a fireplace that you could burn a fire log that they will provide for you every night if you wish. The breakfast that was included was also really good and always on time to the room. They also had free wine and cheese pairing at the 5pm every day. If you are looking for an easy going place to stay with a great staff waters edge is the place. I know that we will be back for sure!

Thanks for the great time!

Reviewed October 8, 2010

This little gem was fabulous! Our first floor room was the "non view" bargain room so I expected it to be a little lacking--FAR FROM IT! A suite large enough to hold a family with modern romantic decor. A working fireplace in front of a cozy hide-a-bed sofa, a luxurious chaise perfect for reading near the window, a king size bed (very comfy), finished with a tub big enough for two in a commodious bathroom. And that "Non-View" part? Not even a blip as the upstairs deck had view enough for everyone and really nice outdoor furniture (too nice to call patio furniture). And the complimentary room service breakfast was amazing! Top it off with afternoon wine and hors d'oeuvres in the elegant lobby and you'll think you're in heaven!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The place was BEAUTIFUL, in such a cute little village. We were helped by an employee named Danny, who was the coolest, most helpful guy ever. I really hope his supervisors are reading this. I never write reviews, but when someone goes out of their way like this, it inspires me! BIG thank you to Danny and Water's Edge, And JDV hotels! Couldn't have looked nicer, or been better!!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiburon
The Lodge at Tiburon
Cavallo Point
Cavallo Point
#3 of 4 in Sausalito
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to Waters Edge Hotel? Share your experiences!