“Great find beautiful location on the water!”
Review of Waters Edge Hotel

Waters Edge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tiburon
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here November 2012 only 1 night and wished we had stayed longer we were pleasantly surprised at this little town a little past Sausalito. The Waters Edge is a great place to stay not far from San Francisco, Ca. Right on the water and I hope to visit here again. The Hotel was small but had everything you needed, great atmosphere, clean, comfortable rooms and nice beds. Even had a computer and printer to use. We hope to visit here again and hopefully we plan on staying here...Many restaurants right on this street and good recommendations led us to a nice italian restaurant down the block...Realy fell in love with this place and area!

Room Tip: No noise at all and the place was booked totally, so any room would be good.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Waters Edge Hotel

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We only stayed one night at this hotel, but I loved it. We got there pretty late. The front desk gentleman was a total help that even helped take our bags to our room. The is cucumber water in the hallways for drinking, great idea. The rooms have a firplace!!! I LOVED THAT, totally cuddling. The view is also great if you get a room looking out into the ocean. Also included, breakfast in bed. THAT was another great thng about this hotel. Clean and very spacious. I would come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights as an alternative to driving into San Francisco. We had a great stay. The room was very nice and comfortable with a view of water and a small balcony. We stayed in room 213 which was in the second half of hotel closer to the water. The staff was just super...very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Having a continental breakfast being delivered to your room each morning was great. Parking is a small lot just down the street for $15 a day which is cheap by SF standards.

Hot coffee and tea were available downstairs while ice water and coffee were available on the second floor. There is a nice deck at the end of the hotel which affords nice view of the harbor and the SF skyline in the distance.

The bathroom could use a little work. I noticed cracked tiles on the floor and areas of the wall where they recently patched. However, it was clean and functional so it fulfilled its purpose.

The blue-gold ferry makes a stop right next to the hotel so we took it over to the Ferry building in the morning and came back at night. In Tiburon itself, you will find some cute little shops and about eight or nine restaurants within walking distance. If you are in the mood for Italian, try Don Antonio Trattoria. It was superb!

Overall, the Waters Edge was a nice little gem that is perfect if you are looking for a quiet little getaway with convenient transportation to SF.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second floor on the right side of the hotel as the early morning trash pick...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peterlc63
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have to say I really spent some time thinking about if I was going to leave a 4 star or 3 star review. It's hard because a 3 star seems like a negative review and overall this is a great place but 4 stars seems to say my trip was almost perfect, I wouldn't want to say that either. I made the trip over to Tiburon for a couple of nights respite from my house so I could rest and catch up on some work I had to do. While many of the amenities are really nice and the every time I encountered a member of the staff they were very friendly and helpful my visit overall was somewhat stressful and left me unsatisfied.

First the good. Great location, great decor, wonderful wine and cheese happy hour, staff were kind, welcoming, and helpful. There's an awesome deck with view and some fire pits. The rooms have comfortable beds and fireplaces.

My only issue with the hotel it's self is they are listed as a 4.5 star hotels, and for that rating I usually expect a certain level of amenities. There is no kitchen, no pool, no hot tubs, no spa, no local tours or programs, minimal grounds and lobby. There isn't much here except except a comfortable place to sleep and an outdoor patio.

I did have some issues with my visit in particular. Although it was a midweek in the winter and the top floor seemed mostly empty, including some rooms with nice views of the city, angles island or surrounding harbor I was placed on the ground level. These 2 rooms are quite isolated from the rest of the hotel and seem to be a very different experience. Inches in front of your window is a public walkway, your surrounded by offices and shops, there is no view, and extremely bright lighting an inch in front each window. So my only option to escape the days traffic and the nights florescence is to close the curtains as tight as they would go. I was feeling kinda claustrophobic. Furthermore the housekeeping, matainence, kitchen and office are all just outside your door. You can hear them working and you have to walk through them to get to the lobby. This also makes you feel isolated from the main hotel which again is very nice. If I were building a hotel here I would have put a full kitchen, spa, or dinning room in this area.

I used Hotwire.com to book this room and supposedly saved some money doing so. I say supposedly because the sight claims I'm getting a standard room 4.5 star room that are a certain price elsewhere vs my substantially lower price. However after looking at the website I realize that the room that I was been put in is listed as an affordable alternative to the upstairs rooms. So I probably paid close to regular rate and just thought it was bargain. Maybe it's HOTWIRE's fault but other internet users should know what they're getting when use one these sites and the management should realize that these sites are building folks up for a let down.

At 6am I heard a huge truck pull in and a really really loud series of noises just outside my window. I got up an saw a man in an orange vest pushing a huge steel dumpster past my window. I went back to sleep for a couple hours only to be woken up by more construction noise. Throughout the rest of the day workers would walk back forth inches from my window. They were jack hammering concrete, sawing metal pipe, and hammering that whole day. Had someone considered my needs they probably would have said "hey we got somone staying in the construction zone today, maybe we should move him elsewhere" Walking around at night I could see plenty of empty rooms farther away from the noise and, again, with views I was expecting. Based on some other reviews here it seems they upgrade people's room with regularity why no one thought to do that for me, particularly given the situation is confusing.

I also had some staff coming in and out of the other room on the floor doing some work on it. It's like there were 1 or 2 wonderfully hardworking people in the building who were taking care of all the guest needs and another half a dozen or more doing various repairs and upgrades. I felt like the place was half shutdown and they were focussed on getting ready for spring and summer, Even the fire-pit was shut down on the 2nd night I was there.

As I was half way done driving home I realized I left my cellphone charger in my room, or at least I was 90% positive that's where I left it. I called the front desk and got a recording, I called back a little while latter and once again got a recording, both times I left a voice-message with my number, which room I was in, and why I was calling. Had there been someone there to take my call and confirmed that they had it I would have turned around and gone back. My call was never returned. I was kind of on the fence about weather my review should be 3 or 4 stars because certain people and things about this location were so great. But this was sort of the tipping point and I just felt forgotten about on so many fronts. Perhaps I should have been more vocal while there, at the time no single event seemed worth complaining about but cumulatively the whole experience was a let down and I left exhausted having gotten little work done.

I think despite things falling through the cracks for my trip this is a great little hotel and I would give them another chance if staying in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Jon S
JFlake, Manager at Waters Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear John S.,

Please be assured that we would have been happy to move you, had you let us know you were unhappy in your room. It is true that 21 of our 23 rooms are upstairs. As most guests come to us for the views, these are typically the rooms we book last, and this is the only reason you were in this room. The fact that you were in this room had nothing to do with your method of booking, and it is actually not cheaper than our standard room upstairs. It is the same price.

I would hate for you to continue to think we cheaped out on you. We really didn’t.
We were, in fact, fully reserved on your first night here. On your second we were not. We do not typically reach out to guests, mid-stay, to ask if they would like to change rooms, and I really wish I had known you were unhappy, so we could have.

Given the noise, I can see why you were so frustrated. The garbage truck can be noisy, the two days per week when it comes, and the can does travel right past the downstairs room you were in. Add do that that we had a MMWD-mandated water-line project happening at our hotel, the bulk of which was right outside of the room you were staying in, and I would be unhappy too.

We care very much about you and all of our guests, and I’m sorry that you’re call, regarding the charger, was not returned. We dropped the ball on that. Again, my apologies.

I have reached out to you, offline, to help make this better, and I hope to be hearing from you soon.

For those of you reading, please do not hesitate to request a second floor room. This is almost always possible.

Thank you.

Justin Flake

(415) 789-5999

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We recently stayed at the Waters Edge hotel for an overnight office retreat. Lisa and Justin were extremely easy to work with, timely, and helpful throughout the planning/logistical process. The day of arrival, the conference room space was set up perfectly and the staff were very attentive, available, and helpful. The majority of the guest rooms were available upon attendee arrival and the front desk kept me updated on the status of remaining rooms. Everyone was able to check in early, which was wonderfully convenient.

As the coordinator of the retreat, the Waters Edge made everything easy. They were available for last minute requests and changes. They were thoughtful and genuinely kind. They made the retreat perfect with the attention to detail and experienced staff.

The conference room space allows for private meeting space without noise disturbances. They went above and beyond to make sure people were happy and comfortable without being intrusive. It has what you need without being way over the top, which makes it more comfortable.

The continental breakfast room service allowed people to eat what they wanted and when they wanted. There is a lot of variety on the menu. You get to choose when you want your breakfast delivered, which allows you to enjoy your morning, at your pace.

The rooms are fantastic. The fire places make for a very cozy and comforting space, which is always nice when you're away for business trips.

The location of the hotel is centralized and within walking distance of everything you could want/need. Whether you want to sit on the back deck, stroll by the water, or explore ark row, there are plenty of options to get out of the conference room space, clear your head, and enjoy the beautiful town of Tiburon.

We will be coming back without a doubt! The entire staff at Waters Edge allowed us to host an extremely successful and balanced retreat. Thank you!

Room Tip: The further you are towards the water, the better the view. The ground floor rooms are spacious and...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Water's Edge is probably best on a beautiful, warm, sunny day, when you can truly appreciate the views off the back public deck looking toward San Francisco. On days like this, you can indulge in wine and cheese while watching the sunset and breakfast and coffee on the deck. There must be nothing finer.

In the winter, however, these activities must be held indoors and you must bundle up to view the view. We loved the opportunity to burn a duraflame log in our fireplace, although I must admit the room was a bit smokey from all the rooms that must have been burning at the same time.

The rooms themselves are nice if not a bit small and a bit in need of updating. Overall, however, you can't beat the location (nice restaurants and a lovely village atmosphere). If you pay the rack rate (which we did), I'd say it may be a bit pricy. I think if we go back to Marin, we might see what else is available in, say, Sausalito, but we certainly don't regret our stay there. In fact, it was very nice.

Room Tip: Request the second floor as close to the public outdoor deck as possible.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was our first visit to Tiburon and we LOVED this hotel. First learned of the hotel through SniqueAway's website and got a deal that knocked off about $100 or so. However, I feel like the normal rate is adequately priced. The only downside and improvement I would want to see this hotel make is to amp up the breakfast options. Yes, the breakfast filled us up for a while but the choices are slim and would have liked to see waffles or pancakes or more options/selections. They deliver breakfast to your room which is amazing! $15 charge per day for parking with in and out privileges, just got to remember to have the hotel validate/sign off each parking pass when you come and go. I highly recommend that you request the second floor as the hotel is situated in the heart of downtown and passerby's will be able to peek into your window if you're on the first floor. The evening wine and cheese reception was perfect and very good! You can take your wine and cheese up to the patio on the second floor and watch the sunset - very relaxing. Also each room has a fireplace and further helped with relaxation. I highly recommend this hotel if you can afford it and to stay here instead of in the San Francisco city and just take the ferry across for the day. It's worth it to not deal with traffic and high parking rates in the city. The hotel beds were the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on. Thank you Waters Edge!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are a must, if you choose full water view rooms know that they have amazing views...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiburon
The Lodge at Tiburon
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to Waters Edge Hotel? Share your experiences!