“Very odd atmosphere”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thousand Palms
Helix, OR
“Very odd atmosphere”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We have stayed here before, last Thanksgiving actually. I was sick, so I don't remember much, but I think it was okay. This time a drug bust was under way at the motel when we checked in. Front desk didn't bother to mention it so we drove right into it when heading to our room. There seems to be a lot of men living here, too, hanging out in the parking lot and leaning in their open doorways. I think they are probably working in the Palm Springs area and their company put them up there, but it makes for an odd atmosphere. Room was okay. Non smoking room with two holes burned in the bedspread. Overall pretty clean, but the tub was in bad shape and the paint on the bathroom wall behind the door was peeling. Thin walls, but most everyone was in bed early. AC unit ran all the time and never got cool.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Menifee, California
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Luxury is not what you get and you shouldn't expect it.

A few friends and I stayed here for Stagecoach this past weekend.
The beds were clean, the bathroom was clean, the room was clean. People seem to confuse old with dirty. I will admit the tub probably needed to be replaced and new caulk. But it was NOT dirty.
The beds were not that great. The first night my hips were sore since I sleep on my sides, so I was tossing and turning all night. The next few nights were fine, but only because I was exhausted. Beds could have been better. The T.V.s were not flat screens but that's not a huge issue. just some info. The rooms are not very visually appealing, but again clean.
When I arrived Thursday evening I was hoping to take a dip in the pool or hot tub but they were both filthy and full of sand. I was disappointed. Fortunately the next morning the pool was nice and clean, no hot tub though. But I don't think the pool needs to be heated, it was 106 degrees.

The continental breakfast was meh. Denney's across the street, McDonald's next door lots of food options.
The truck stop and freeway were not a problem.

Our door did not close from the outside very easily, so we had to slam it extremely hard. I did not really interact with the staff but they seemed friendly enough.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed in this place during the last weekend for Coachella music festival. The staff members are friendly, and the room is very clean. The location is great, with many restaurants within walking distance. Also, I took the shuttle to Coachella and the shuttle stop was only one mile away, which was so convenient. I will be definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Lindon, Utah
Reviewed April 18, 2013

OK, I'll start of by saying that it was late at night and I needed a place to rest for a few hours before continuing on. I had booked this place before leaving so I didn't just drop in. The place looks like something from the old Route 66. It's old and tired. Since I was late, I had to check in at a window in the vestibule before going into the common lobby. I really hate dealing with someone on the other side of a glass window, pushing papers back and forth through one of those little slide things. When I got to my room, it smelled strongly of some industrial cleaning product. There was an old CRT color tv on a dresser (I mean, come on, everyone has flat screens now) which just seemed to date it some. I went to plug in my phone charger and iPad charger and the plug next to the dresser was so loose that neither of them would stay in the receptacle. (There's a fire hazard just waiting for an opportunity.) I unplugged a lamp and used a different plug on the other side of the room. I was tired so I just fell into bed and went to sleep. The bed was ok and I slept pretty well. Somebody was banging around on the floor above which was a little annoying but like I said, I was tired so I ignored it and fell asleep right away. The next morning, I took a shower in a beat-up old tub/shower. The nozzle had a leak and sprayed a bunch of water all over the toilet before I noticed it. Shampoo was in little packets which seems kind of cheezy to me. I was in a hurry to get back on the road (I was up before dawn with about four and a half hours of sleep) and as I was going to the front door to leave I noticed a pile of dirt behind the door and a lot of dust. Apparently, the maid props the door open to clean and never cleans back there. It's in the desert and there is a lot of wind and dust so it has probably seeped through the door sill and been piling up there for who knows how long. I got a good few hours of sleep but I doubt this place will be on my list again.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Thousand Palms hotels

Coronado California
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed one night here- near Palm Springs, right off 10 freeway near Casino.. Easy check in and room was clean- no refer, bathroom tub good size- but calking needed around bathroom.. The room had TV & radio and free wifi.... Breakfast included fruit and oatmeal and coffee or hot chocolate- no hot foods..... Fast food restaurants near and truck stop next door.
For an inexpensive price - this was adequate-- Would stay again if needed for a night when traveling...

Room Tip: not fitness center-- ask for room away from highway-- very quiet on right side... could hear plumbin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed March 26, 2013

It is located next to a truck stop / truck wash. The motel does not have any truck parking but plenty of it next door.

Check in person was helpful, doors were still locked at checkout so I have no idea if / what was avail for breakfast.

The room is showing it’s age, the words on the heater/AC were worn off so I didn’t realize it was on AC, not heat and the coverings on one of the chairs had started to crack … not big issues for me, so I’ll give it one more try.

I say ‘one more,’ because their pillows were way too hard for me. If next time I find the same thing, I’ll have to find somewhere else to say … I’m here to sleep. Lots of motels have one (or more) of each … soft, med, hard.

Sleeps the reason I was here … it gets a three only because everything else was good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This weekend we got invitation for a Birthday party , so I went on line looking for a hotel, as you know this time of the year in Palm Spring very hard to get a hotel with a decent price , I did see this hotel but upon reading the review from other travelers I decided to skip this hotel. To save some cash I decided went to Priceline.com and used their bidding system they advertised 40% off for hotel with 2 and 1/2 stars to 3 , so I guess I will get other hotel not a 2 stars Red Roof Inn , but lo and behold I got that one , and I can not cancel the booking (SHAME ON ME)
Now get back to the hotel, upon check in I already told them that I do not want a smoking room , so after 15 minutes they found for us one room . When we got in the room , the first thing we smell is a heavy scent , we had to opened the door for half an hour but the smell was seem more intense , the linen are dirty , so we requested another room and we got it , this room is a little better but the mattress seems like very old the linens also , the bathtub has mildew and mold , at this time we gave up and stay for the night .My back is still hurting after last night

Room Tip: Don"t be cheap and don"t Priceline bidding system
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The Westin Mission Hills Villas
The Westin Mission Hills Villas
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area
Holiday Inn Express Cathedral City (Palm Springs)

Been to Red Roof Inn Palm Springs - Thousand Palms? Share your experiences!