“Stuck in the past”

Red Roof Inn Palm Springs - Thousand Palms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thousand Palms
Reviewed April 18, 2013

OK, I'll start of by saying that it was late at night and I needed a place to rest for a few hours before continuing on. I had booked this place before leaving so I didn't just drop in. The place looks like something from the old Route 66. It's old and tired. Since I was late, I had to check in at a window in the vestibule before going into the common lobby. I really hate dealing with someone on the other side of a glass window, pushing papers back and forth through one of those little slide things. When I got to my room, it smelled strongly of some industrial cleaning product. There was an old CRT color tv on a dresser (I mean, come on, everyone has flat screens now) which just seemed to date it some. I went to plug in my phone charger and iPad charger and the plug next to the dresser was so loose that neither of them would stay in the receptacle. (There's a fire hazard just waiting for an opportunity.) I unplugged a lamp and used a different plug on the other side of the room. I was tired so I just fell into bed and went to sleep. The bed was ok and I slept pretty well. Somebody was banging around on the floor above which was a little annoying but like I said, I was tired so I ignored it and fell asleep right away. The next morning, I took a shower in a beat-up old tub/shower. The nozzle had a leak and sprayed a bunch of water all over the toilet before I noticed it. Shampoo was in little packets which seems kind of cheezy to me. I was in a hurry to get back on the road (I was up before dawn with about four and a half hours of sleep) and as I was going to the front door to leave I noticed a pile of dirt behind the door and a lot of dust. Apparently, the maid props the door open to clean and never cleans back there. It's in the desert and there is a lot of wind and dust so it has probably seeped through the door sill and been piling up there for who knows how long. I got a good few hours of sleep but I doubt this place will be on my list again.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed one night here- near Palm Springs, right off 10 freeway near Casino.. Easy check in and room was clean- no refer, bathroom tub good size- but calking needed around bathroom.. The room had TV & radio and free wifi.... Breakfast included fruit and oatmeal and coffee or hot chocolate- no hot foods..... Fast food restaurants near and truck stop next door.
For an inexpensive price - this was adequate-- Would stay again if needed for a night when traveling...

Room Tip: not fitness center-- ask for room away from highway-- very quiet on right side... could hear plumbin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

It is located next to a truck stop / truck wash. The motel does not have any truck parking but plenty of it next door.

Check in person was helpful, doors were still locked at checkout so I have no idea if / what was avail for breakfast.

The room is showing it’s age, the words on the heater/AC were worn off so I didn’t realize it was on AC, not heat and the coverings on one of the chairs had started to crack … not big issues for me, so I’ll give it one more try.

I say ‘one more,’ because their pillows were way too hard for me. If next time I find the same thing, I’ll have to find somewhere else to say … I’m here to sleep. Lots of motels have one (or more) of each … soft, med, hard.

Sleeps the reason I was here … it gets a three only because everything else was good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This weekend we got invitation for a Birthday party , so I went on line looking for a hotel, as you know this time of the year in Palm Spring very hard to get a hotel with a decent price , I did see this hotel but upon reading the review from other travelers I decided to skip this hotel. To save some cash I decided went to Priceline.com and used their bidding system they advertised 40% off for hotel with 2 and 1/2 stars to 3 , so I guess I will get other hotel not a 2 stars Red Roof Inn , but lo and behold I got that one , and I can not cancel the booking (SHAME ON ME)
Now get back to the hotel, upon check in I already told them that I do not want a smoking room , so after 15 minutes they found for us one room . When we got in the room , the first thing we smell is a heavy scent , we had to opened the door for half an hour but the smell was seem more intense , the linen are dirty , so we requested another room and we got it , this room is a little better but the mattress seems like very old the linens also , the bathtub has mildew and mold , at this time we gave up and stay for the night .My back is still hurting after last night

Room Tip: Don"t be cheap and don"t Priceline bidding system
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Accommodations were fine for the night. Sheets were worn but clean. Dark and quiet room. Clean bathroom but could use a touch up. Price was reasonable for the value received. Continental breakfast and had oatmeal, fruit and yogurt -- my usual. Close to gas station as we left early.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is the second time I have been here on business in the last four months. Rooms are clean and have plenty of room. The staff is polite and breakfast was good. Hot tub was wonderful and saved my back after long days at seminar down the road. Lots of places to eat nearby. WiFi worked well, but I had to login in several times. The Truck stop next door can be noisy, but I slept great all four nights. I will be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on new years eve, we were looking for a room since all the rooms in the near by casino were taken. we payed about $60 a room. This facility is small and nestle between a truck stop and industrial buisnesses. The room was clean and spacious. We were worried that it was right next to the fwy and the noise might keep us up but once it got dark it was all quiet. Check in was fast and the staff was friendly. they also had fresh coffee and juice in the lobby when we arrived and in the morning. The advantange for us was that it was 3 minutesd from the casino, restaraunts and gas.

If your looking for a fancy place this place is not for you, if your looking for a clean place to rest your head and a good price than this is your place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Chris C, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Palm Springs - Thousand Palms, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Janet,

Thank you for staying with us during the New Year holiday. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay & our close proximity to the casino. Please keep us in mind for your next visit to the Coachella Valley. Thank you once again for your patronage.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thousand Palms
Quality Inn Palm Springs
Quality Inn Palm Springs
#62 of 74 in Palm Springs
Best Western Date Tree Hotel

Been to Red Roof Inn Palm Springs - Thousand Palms? Share your experiences!