“Great Lunch, Great Views of the ocean and deer, Super Service”

Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The acclaimed Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge features internationally-inspired California cuisine that emphasizes the freshest local ingredients. Seasonal menus and daily specials tempt with many satisfying options, from delectable entrees, small plates and appetizers to casual tavern fare, resulting in sophisticated yet uncontrived dining. To complement the food, our Mendocino restaurant offers an award-winning selection of about 150 unique regional wines. The evolving wine list showcases selected small estate wineries of Sonoma and Mendocino Counties.
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a great stop if you want a Fish and Chips lunch while seeing the ocean and local wildlife. Deer come right up to the windows while you eat! The Meals are excellent, service quick, and always tasty. Trusulla is the best waitress there!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I ate there this past weekend; we were celebrating our anniversary. We got a table with a water view, which was beautiful. The whole meal was excellent, from the setting to the food to the service. We had the fried calamari as an appetizer - the least greasy fried food we'd ever had, though I would suggest it be prepared with a little more seasoning (garlic? onion?) and served with a spicier sauce rather than sweet and sour sauce. My husband had the salmon special and I had the halibut - both dishes were great. The fish was very fresh, cooked perfectly, and had delicious accompaniments. I had the sorbet and gelato for dessert (they were accommodating, giving me 3 different flavors instead of just one) - very yummy without being too sweet. Jocelyn, our server, was fantastic. She was attentive without hovering, and never rushed us. I am picky (just ask my husband!) but I don't hesitate to recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

We ate here on the first night of our trip, and came back the next night we liked it so much. The food was excellent, and wine selection great. Nice views of the coast as well.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

If you are a tourist exploring the North Coast we can see why you would really enjoy this place . . . after all, you are in vacation mode exploring very beautiful country. If you are a Northern Californian on a brief weekend getaway to a special place you may be a bit disappointed if your experience is anything like ours on June 18, 2014. Our disappointment was with people not food.

We had made dinner reservations for 7:30 p.m. in advance of our travel; at about 4:00 that day we confirmed them in person with the hostess and also restated our request for window seating. There could be no guarantees but we were told to arrive early which we did. We were immediately told by the same hostess that there would be no window seating for quite a while. We asked if we could sit in the bar and enjoy a glass of wine while we waited for a window. We were again told that there wouldn't be any window seating and led to a table . . . . one of us facing the ocean and the other a wall (and I better add, my delightful Anne). Within three to five minutes two different tables were finished dining and awaiting their bills. We told our waitress, a very pleasant woman, that we would like to change tables which prompted a staff conference. We were in due course reluctantly told OK but would have to wait until the table was bused. In the meantime a party of five and one other table of two left.

Our new waitress came by and somewhat curtly said she might as well take our dinner order while we waited. I politely told her we would like to be seated, relaxed and order a glass of wine before deciding what we wanted to order. We wanted a dining experience, not a quick meal. She then broke up the larger table into two smaller tables and began busing all three. Finally, in exasperation I reminded her we were waiting for a table right behind her . . . I and said I'd be happy to bus it. She emphatically told me YOU AREN'T AUTHORIZED TO BUS IT!

Inexplicably, the bartender came out, rearranged the salt and pepper, wiped the table, brought over place settings and motioned to us. We changed tables and relaxed. He then came over again and sarcastically inquired why would you want this table, "you don't look at anything other than a wall." Not true, one of us had an unobstructed view of the ocean, the other had a partial view and a full view with a quarter turn of the head . . . and the location was much quieter.

Finally the waitress came by and make some sort of a snappy comment that I don't recall. I calmly said we want good service not "attitude." She said I'm not giving you attitude. I said thank you and why don't we start over and introduced us both to her and she did the same. Service seemed to get better and friendlier.

By this time we didn't want to risk ordering the dinners we had planned on. We both ordered the Seafood Louie Salad and I had a cup of the soup of the day, an excellent tomato basil.

Our louies were fine, but not exceptional; neither of us had the hard boiled egg or white anchovies on our salads as described on the menu but no one came by to see how were were doing (not a simple "is everything OK") so we didn't have a chance to mention it while we were still eating. I did advise that she might want to mention this to the chef when she came to clear the plates . . . and of course she offered to bring these missing ingredients out then. What a feast that would have been.

Ah for dessert. Anne loves blood oranges in almost any form, by themselves, olive oil, sorbet, etc. They just happened to have blood orange sorbet that night. When it arrived, we both took a bite and pronounced it strawberry, not one of her favorite fruits. We informed the waitress of the mistake and she immediately went off to correct the error. A few minutes latter she returned to say, and not the least bit sheepishly, "the reason you got strawberry instead of blood orange is because we ran out." Again, very matter of factly with no hint of an apology.

We have no idea as to why we had such a problem being seated properly. It did seem that the staff had an agenda other than customer service in mind . . . like getting off early perhaps!

This dinner, or at least dining experience, greatly tarnished our stay and our memories of The Sea Ranch . . . lodge and grill. It could have just been one of those days . . . or just plain bad management. We assume the latter based on other experiences that day at the lodge. The staff was not trained properly, not customer oriented, not courteous and not the least bit empathetic. We realize that there is a limited pool of quality customer service personnel in such a remote area, but good training and managerial attention and follow-through can usually bridge the gap. Our last visit. We would have left during the wait for window seating except that the nearest acceptable restaurant was some 40 miles away and would have been closed by the time we got there . . . and besides the driver couldn't have enjoyed wine with dinner.

1  Thank Randall-Anne
Reviewed June 15, 2014

To start with the view from our perfect table in the restaurant, to the most friendly and knowledgeable waitress we have EVER had and the fabulous food...topped off with a wonderful hike on the headlands AND...a wonderful gift shop where we bought me a very chic sweater/jacket ,slims denims and gloves that I needed for the cold weather...what a wonderful, magical place!!