All reviewswindow seatwalking trailsadirondack chairscalifornia coastgas fireplacehot tubocean viewking roomblack point grillgualaladeercoastlineinsulationwhalesretreatrobeslinens
Reviewed March 27, 2007

We recently spend three nights at the lodge. I booked a corner room with a king bed and was promised views of the ocean to the front of the lodge and up the coast. At check in, we were given a map locating our second floor room and told where to park. There was no elevator to the room and there was no one to help with our luggage. The room itself, while nicely furnished, was basically an upscale motel room with a very small bathroom and not worth the price. There wasn't even a small refrigerator. But the views from the room's window seats! - worth every penny - we could see miles and miles of obstructed coast line and ocean. In the afternoon the sun streamed in, warming everything up and giving the sitting area a relaxing ambiance. At night, with the windows opened, the sound of the ocean lulled us to sleep.

The best thing about the lodge and the reason I would return is the location. Walk out the door and head out to sit on the bluff overlooking the ocean, climb on rocks, amble along a nearby beach, or follow a well-maintained trail for miles and miles on the bluffs right next to the ocean. From the lodge we hiked to a marine preserve to watch the harbor seals sunning themselves and spent a good bit of time tidepooling. In the afternoon when the wind came up we relaxed. Meals at the lodge's restaurant were excellent, especially the dinners. We never would have left the lodge except that we needed to buy picnic supplies for lunch.

I would definitely return again but I'm not so sure I'd book the corner room, I just might ask for one with a view up the coast.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Barbara6
Reviewed September 20, 2006

Nice rooms, nice staff, great property--now that's out of the way, let's talk about the dining. Absolutely the best meal we've ever had! Top quality chef must be there, but in Gualala area? I had to read the property's web site to find out, and did! Do yourself a favor and read about this guy, you are sure to see headlines all over America as soon as word gets out. Take some time a visit this place, not for the lodge, not for the great service, but go just for the FOOD. We've dined around the world and this is clearly up there with Michelen 3 stars in Europe and Mobile 5 stars in America minus the stuffy elegance. Wish we lived closer just so we could eat there more often!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank forloveorfood
Reviewed August 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Sea Ranch Lodge in early June. Since we were there Sunday-Wednesday, our stay felt very private, which is what we wanted. The place is probably much busier Friday-Saturday. (We actually originally planned for a Saturday night stay too but no rooms were available that one night.)

We enjoyed our accommodations and especially the ocean view from our room. I even asked the front desk where I could purchase similar linens and bedroom furniture (which would work wonderfully in our guestroom at home) but alas they didn't possess the information.

The breakfasts were so delicious and filling. We ate dinner once in the main dining room and once in the little bistro/cafe area. They were ok meals, a bit overpriced but convenient for guests like us who wanted to take it easy and stay in. We drove into neighboring Gualala for one dinner.

There seem to be some nice trails though we didn't take advantage of them -- opting to play Scrabble, sleep, read, and take advantage of the free Internet access. It was very relaxing.

Our one main complaint is that Sea Ranch was going under renovation during our visit. The construction noise was very loud and took place right next to our room. Given how the lodge was practically empty during our stay, we should have been given another room when we checked in. Upon our departure, we told the front desk. (We probably should have complained earlier.)

Anyway, unexpectedly, a note from the lodge came a few days after our return home. In it was a sincere apology for the noise along with a gift certificate for a future 2 night weekday stay at the lodge. We greatly appreciated the kind gesture and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mypenguin
Reviewed August 20, 2006

My husband, daughter and I just stayed at the Lodge for 4 nights in a second-floor corner room facing the ocean. The concept of this lodge -- small, rustic, unobtrusive, amid stunning natural beauty -- is perfect, and we loved it. Our room was large and roomy and had a very high ceiling. We didn't experience any "thin walls" problems, and the breakfast included in the room rate was fine. The problems with the Lodge are that they desperately need to (1) enlarge and update the bathrooms, (2) invest in better sheets, towels and laundry service, and (3) better manage the cleaning staff. We are not "large" people by any stretch of imagination, but each one of us had difficulty squeezing into the bathroom. The sheets and towels are worn and stained. The cleaning staff seems disorganized and disappears after 3 p.m. I would love to come back to stay at the Lodge if they would only make a bit more effort to take care of it. I would even be willing to pay more for it.

Stayed: August 2006
7  Thank Drer
Reviewed August 12, 2006

This is a great get away with great views. The rooms are nice, not anything special but clean and nice. The beds are soft and comfy with lots of extra pillows. They have individual thermostats, which I like, and the other amenities like hair dryers and shampoo etc. I had the two room suite and the second bedroom is in the back with no ocean view. The bathroom was small for two people much less three or four but it was clean and fairly new. The walking trails are awesome as is the beach. The hotel has thin walls and you can hear other guests quite clearly in your room. We were there three nights and maid service completely missed our room one day. When I inquired about it at the desk I was told they were gone for the day. I asked if I could at least have fresh towels. They took them to my room for me, walked past the unmade beds and the wet towels on the bathroom floor and left them on the dirty bathroom counter. (For this we paid $240 per night). At least I had clean towels. The food was good. The fish of the day was the same two days in a row as was the soup. But it was good. I recommend lunch in Gualala at Trinks.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family