“Amazing”
Review of Sea Ranch Lodge

Sea Ranch Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Sea Ranch
Reviewed April 26, 2010

The lodge is a very comfortable, friendly place with amazing views of the ocean, great comfy bedding, and cozy rooms (some with wood-burning stoves) all in a perfect location.

I am a woman who loves to take long, solitary walks in nature and this is the best place in the world to do it! The lodge is on one end of a series of paths which run along the cliffs by the ocean and go all the way to the town of Gualala, about 10 miles away. So you can wander about for hours and smell the fresh ocean air, listen to the waves, and watch the clouds and hawks and deer and all the incredible wildflowers. But what really sets this place apart for someone like me is the sense of safety. Typically, when I'm hiking, there's a part of me that 's relaxing and connecting with nature, and a part of me that's on the alert, very cognizant of the fact that I'm alone and vulnerable. But the paths at Sea Ranch run by a number of beautiful homes with huge windows, offering a sense of security. At first, I thought the presence of these homes would detract from the feeling of being out in nature., But, I was happily surprised to learn that they helped me relax and enjoy these amazing surroundings in a very deep way.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that pets are welcome-- I saw several people hiking by the lodge with their dogs on a leash.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank inat546

Reviewed October 20, 2009

I stayed here for 1 night on my honeymoon. I was recommended to the Sea Ranch Lodge by my brother in-law.

When my wife and I arrived we thought the place looked good. The location is beautiful and very relaxing. After checking in we went straight to our room #19, we had reserved the room with the hot tub. the room was small and dirty. the carpets had stains and there were multiple flies buzzing around the room. the hot tub was out on the deck which was behind a 6ft fence...with views of nothing. the hot tub was also slightly dirty.

we went back to the front desk and asked to change rooms. they were able to switch us to a room with a view of the ocean, one of the corner rooms. this room was cheaper and also much nicer.

When we switched rooms they were not willing to accommodate the 2 night reservation we had planned on....we gladly left after 1 night.

the food in the lodge restaurant is moderate at best. slow service.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank fkfeldman
Reviewed October 5, 2009

A great place to stay on the coast with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean (not to mention the small deers roaming in the long grass.) Some of the accommodation is a little dated but still attractive enough. All the lodges are have a wood facade which adds to the charm. The restaurant is OK but not great - the service was a little inconsistent and the food sort of average. But I would definitely recommend the breakfast burrito. All in all, I'd definitely recommend it for a stay if you are travelling along the coast.

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank Skiranger
Reviewed July 16, 2009

If you want to be right on the ocean in the northern California coast and you don't mind driving on some pretty wild and curvy roads to get there, this is the spot for you! My husband, teenage son, and I stayed here for three nights and didn't want to leave. Granted, the property is beautiful but a bit dated and everything creaks like a well-loved family cottage. If you want really high-end resort, this might not be for you. But Sea Ranch is incredibly elegant in an understated way, wonderfully relaxing, and just plain beautiful. My only two complaints: I wish the windows in the rooms were bigger and I wish the service was a little speedier. But maybe that second one is just the city in me, needing to slow down to Sea Ranch speed!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank kleic
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We picked this get-away because my husband grew up near the coast and always dreamt of bringing his future wife there for our honeymoon. Nestled among gorgeous landscapes of trees, fields and of course, waves from the ocean was the Sea Ranch Lodge.

We chose the hot-tub suite which came complete with a fireplace, beautiful bathroom and storage area, sitting area, deck and of course the hot tub. The receptionist was more than friendly and was so exicted to hear that we were honeymooning with the Lodge. They gave us on-the-spot dinner reservations for a window table where we could watch the beautiful waves while enjoying one of the best meals i've ever had.

The staff was so courteous, they graciously gave us room service whenever we asked.

It was worth every penny, I wish we coulda stayed longer!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Crystalynne
Reviewed June 2, 2009

A real one off, the views amazing - a total treat for wildlife. Rooms large and comfortable, loved the use of wood and the reclining chairs with a view in the bedroom. The service friendly and approachable.

The only real disappointment was the food, breakfast was fine but dinner unless ordering burgers and keeping it simple was too complicated and over seasoned, a shame considering how good the basic ingredients are in this area, the chef clearly needs to get the basics right before trying more ambitious dishes. Would recommend to a friend but with a proviso re the food.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We stayed in a corner room, with views of white water & blue water (didn't know those terms 'til we visited CA). In our corner window nook, were two easy chairs that reclined. Aaah! Just lazing back with a book, overlooking deer nibbling the fields, barns and then the ocean. ($ 169 per night, including breakfast). To me, that was the wonderful part of Sea Ranch. My spouse loved the history of the architecture of the original Sea Ranch buildings. I was underwhelmed by our room, pretty basic. Contrary to other reviews; decent enough linens and we felt that the bed was very comfortable. I do agree that the housekeeping was not great. We walked along the cliff walk, which was stunning. We drove all over the surrounding area, finding many terrific restaurants. There is a plan (by owners of Post Ranch) to build a new lodge and tear down the existing building. I would hope to return, either way.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
#4 of 7 in Gualala
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena

Been to Sea Ranch Lodge? Share your experiences!